Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie (RTE1 Charlie Haughey Drama)

Options
1353637383941»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    They should do a series about the early Taoisigh and heads of state. Would be great to see Eoin O' Duffy doing his parade during the Cosgrave years.

What is so unusual or interesting about a Garda Parade

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Is there any historical basis at all for the confidential arms trial document that was shown to Charlie to basically tell him "jump or be pushed"? Can't find anything at all on the idea that there was blackmail involved so I assume that part was fictional...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Is there any historical basis at all for the confidential arms trial document that was shown to Charlie to basically tell him "jump or be pushed"? Can't find anything at all on the idea that there was blackmail involved so I assume that part was fictional...?
    I think it was just used to represent his enemies closing in on him, and indeed his old friends who knew where the bodies were buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I thought the scene where Haughey was offering a minister's position to that random eejit was hillarious :D

"Yes, a ****ing ministry"...."a small one..."

*can't open door*..."Mara release this beast back in to the wild"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

regards Haughey and Terry keane they weren't exactly shy about they're affection for each other if this photo is anything to go by

was this an open secret in Dublin back in the day?

and when did it end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

fryup wrote: »
    regards Haughey and Terry keane they weren't exactly shy about they're affection for each other if this photo is anything to go by

and when did it end?

Heard Geraldine Kennedy say that Terry Keane was very frank re her affair
    with Haughey. When asked if the representation of TK on 'Charlie' was unfair,
    GK replied that, if anything, she was far more 'brazen' in real life than she was
    portrayed on screen!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Read somewhere recently that when Terry Keane revealed all in an interview, Charlie Haughey never spoke to her again. Think she told all on the Late Late in 1998 or so, and until she passed away in 2004 (I think), Haughey never spoke to her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭golfball37

Read somewhere recently that when Terry Keane revealed all in an interview, Charlie Haughey never spoke to her again. Think she told all on the Late Late in 1998 or so, and until she passed away in 2004 (I think), Haughey never spoke to her again.
    It was on uncle gaybos last ever late late no less. I remember it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

golfball37 wrote: »
    It was on uncle gaybos last ever late late no less. I remember it well.

Second-last ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭golfball37

Second-last ;)

Thats right- he came back for one in recent years :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No it really was the second last of that season - the last was a "gala" show that didn't really follow the regular format (and went on for what seemed like hours).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Probably a bit late to mention it but last night's 'Scannail' covered the Lenihan presidential bid and the famous tapes. It would be fascinating for anyone who saw 'Charlie' but wasn't around for the original daily drama that was FF in the 80's. For those of us who were around it was almost nostalgic! There was an interesting twist around what appeared to be a carefully planned ambush on Questions and Answers. (Ahh...remember Questions and Chancers? Where has the time gone).

I am sure it is on the RTE player for anyone interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

and when did it end?

Open? She wrote about him in the feckin SIndo every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

Another shot here!
    Did not realise that Terry Keane's granddaughter was Miss Ireland 2011.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1380067/Miss-Ireland-favourite-Holly-Carpenter-speaks-Terry-Keane-s-granddaughter--family-shaped-her.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

RainyDay wrote: »
    The feeling at the time was that she was a delusional auld cow and making it all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

RainyDay wrote: »

it was hardly open.....she called him by the pseudonym sweetie..... and how many people outside of dublin high society knew who sweetie was at the time?????? not many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

icdg wrote: »
    No it really was the second last of that season - the last was a "gala" show that didn't really follow the regular format (and went on for what seemed like hours).

Was that the one where U2 gave him a motorbike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

and how many people outside of dublin high society knew who sweetie was at the time?????? not many
    I knew, and I was not exactly part of 'high society'. I was a young adult, with a mild interest in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

it was hardly open.....she called him by the pseudonym sweetie..... and how many people outside of dublin high society knew who sweetie was at the time?????? not many

This Indo article shows how openly she referred to him in her writing. There are extracts from the columns at the end of the piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The feeling at the time was that she was a delusional auld cow and making it all up.

I'd say some of what Terry Keane wrote was true and a lot of it was made up or embellished. In Charlie's view, she was someone to meet and dine with and to have fun with. No more. To her, she felt she was the only one Charlie gave attention to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Still have to finish the finale. RTE Player froze about half way through, restarted the Xbox, no joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

I still love the moment in the second episode where The Doc (Minister For Justice), comes almost drunkenly up to Geraldine Kennedy.

"Them prick friends of yours are finished this time. LONG LIVE KING CHARLIE!"

So seedy and so wrong, and yet I can't help but grin at it and know how the bastard must have felt!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Decent overall, but I've seen better production values elsewhere on our screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

RTE Player froze about half way through,

I find RTE online can be a real PITA sometimes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Anyone know where I can see this, streaming or otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Spazdarn wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can see this, streaming or otherwise?

DVD is the only legal way to view it I think.

http://shop.rte.ie/Product/Charlie-DVD-PreOrder-2-Discs/2629/2220.4

Advertisement