Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie (RTE1 Charlie Haughey Drama)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Mother is a right battleaxe!

No way.

She was a very private lady who was not ostentatious but a very gracious and well groomed lady to any person who met her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Maureen Haughy was a very glamorous lady, she is portrayed with like a frump..... very bad taste...

Was that Maureen or his mother?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭small town girl

Maureen Haughy was a very glamorous lady, she is portrayed with like a frump..... very bad taste...

I thought it was his mum. I'm all confused :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Level in the darts. Tempted to ditch Charlie and head back to Ally Pally. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

That's Haughey's mother, GSW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭VelcroGhost

Charlie is this year's Amber. Filmed a long time ago, kept on the shelf while they thought about were to put it, and dumped into early January.

Was that Maureen or his mother?

The mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭derb12

That's his mum not his wife. Don't think Maureen's been in it yet.

Overall very disappointed here - the acting seems so stilted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Was his mother Maureen as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Ah jsysus give it a chance!

• Advertisement

MrsD007 wrote: »
    That's Haughey's mother, GSW.

She was a very well dressed lady too MrsD....:) No more than her daughter-in-law....thanks, gswx

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think it's pretty decent so far, though the soundtrack is distracting and overused.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I don't think Maureen Haughey has been shown yet.. His mother yes.

I think it's good so far. Gillen is very good. The only criticism I would have (not exclusive to this historical drama) is the perceived need to explain all the historical context in the dialogue. It's like they're trying to cram in all the background info for the dialogue. Which is irritating for the viewer who knows the history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Charlie was married to his mother ? Well you dont need to be Freud to work out that that's gonna lead to some psychological problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Feeling hard to get into it! Expects the viewer to know the background history..very little attempt to explain context or characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

His mothers name was Sarah and she was a lovely lady. Nothing like she is being protrayed on the show.

Its beginning to take on the appearance of that awful remake of Yes Prime Minister they made over yonder a year or so back.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭derb12

Charlie is this year's Amber. Filmed a long time ago, kept on the shelf while they thought about were to put it, and dumped into early January.

Oh god no ... I've suppressed those memories!!

Pdoghue wrote: »
    I don't think Maureen Haughey has been shown yet.. His mother yes.

I think it's good so far. Gillen is very good. The only criticism I would have (not exclusive to this historical drama) is the perceived need to explain all the historical context in the dialogue. It's like they're trying to cram in all the background info for the dialogue. Which is irritating for the viewer who knows the history.

I feel like it's a play playing to the crowd and throwing in the few buzz words.....There is no substance that I've seen so far that makes me interested?....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Olympus.1

The acting is unrealistic, very forced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

I think his mother was called Sarah.

It's getting like Father Ted with the acting....

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Elmo to turn up as the postman

Tony Gregory actually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Poor charlie and his chicken dinners

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

And to whoever complained about the way Gillen is phrasing his sentences...that was the way Haughey spoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Is Mike Murphy doing some voiceovers, I swear Noel Browne sounded just like Mike Murphy.

*shudder* Tom Vaughan Lawlor sounding and looking just like, eh, Nidge.
    Sorry :o But it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭The barber of chewbacca

It's getting like Father Ted with the acting....

All we needed is Brendan O'Carroll to play Charlie's mother!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beechfiled

Nidge is annoying me. He's very camp too.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

To be honest I haven't a clue what they are all talking about in it. I'm just enjoying Charlie's haircut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Gillen doing well here.

Advertisement