Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2015 Build up.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Cook banned from the 4th ODI for slow over rate

Blessing in disguise for England?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

booth70 wrote: »
    Cook banned from the 4th ODI for slow over rate

Blessing in disguise for England?!

Its probably going to be rained off. :pac:

With him out, spot light on Morgan, been rubbish for a long time in ODI cricket.

Lanka will need Malinga back, for the world cup, without him in Australia where you can't play a million spinners, zero chance.

Would be nice as well if Kushul could fire more than once in a blue moon as well.

Best to ignore KP, he won't miss a chance to slag of Cook and Moores. I don't like either tbh, but Morgan has failed a lot of times and that is his responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

Good to see Morgan finallly getting a few runs

lambayire wrote: »
    Good to see Morgan finallly getting a few runs

Hopefully for him its not just a one off, that won't do after his recent inept form in this format.

• Advertisement

Despite Cook's presence in the team England somehow still in the series at 2-3

293 for England to chase today ..... Time for Captain Cook to score some runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Despite Cook's presence in the team England somehow still in the series at 2-3

293 for England to chase today ..... Time for Captain Cook to score some runs

Shocker today for Cook. Dropped Kumar at 41 and then gave away his wicket v cheaply

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

I feel a bit for Cook tbh, been public enemy no.1 for about a year now

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Hopefully for him its not just a one off, that won't do after his recent inept form in this format.

Turned out it was. 90 runs in seven matches. Abysmal as has been all year, even the much derided Cook has been better than him all year.

How Cook continues to survive as England ODI player let alone it's captain is beyond any rational explanation

His potential replacement as captain Morgs is skating on thin ice as well and is reaching his sell by date as an England player

England look a shambles as a one day team ..... Only Root , Ali ,Taylor , Butler and Bopara to a certain extent come out of this series with any credit

Time for them to be sensible and ditch the likes of Cook and Bell for good and give the captaincy to Root

• Advertisement

st. Sangakkara b. Jayawardene

Great way for these two giants of Sri Lankan cricket to sign off in their last game on Sri Lankan soil

SL have recovered some what from their recent thrashing in India while England continue to be rubbish at the one day level

I'd always back India to beat Lanka in ODI cricket, but I really don't think you should not read that much into that series, they just looked pissed off to be playing their at such short notice.

Going to be near impossible to replace Mahela and Kumar,Matthews has been amazing, but Thirimanne and Chandimal will need to up their game hugely to fill the void.

Each time Pakistan look like winning the series NZ reel them back in

2-2 with one match to come

NZ look an exciting side and will be hard to beat at home during the World Cup

NZ look set to take the series and will be a good bet for the World Cup:)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-2880828/Alastair-Cook-ditched-England-one-day-captain-miserable-run-form.html

Common sense prevails at last ...... about a year overdue IMHO

Not sure if Morgs the right choice as captain though ..... Root the better option

What are the odds on KP making the cut tomoro:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Captaincy and the good Australian pitches will suit Morgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Feel bad for Cook, it wasn't that long ago that he could do no wrong. Hopefully he can find some form for the summer.

Morgan is lucky to be in the side, Cook has outscored him in the last 3 ODI series.:eek:

However Gilly is right, he may have a chance in Australia, done well in the last series and their isn't to many alternatives.

Also, Pakistan continue to sink new lows in ODI cricket, this is truly an abysmal attempt at a chase.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan-v-new-zealand-2014/engine/match/742627.html

Shezhad who I like eating up dot balls and Shafiq and Younis doing absolute nothing as they have their whole ODI careers. Its sad for Pakistan fans they will have to tolerate Younis in the world cup on the back of his first century in six years ruining their chances.

They leave to much to the lower order and expect miracles every time, do they not remember the World Cup semi final in 2011 against India?:eek::eek:

NZ do look very dangerous though, Kane is turning into a superstar and they have serious options in the bowling ranks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Gillespy

NZ are darkhorses for sure. Can't see past Australia, they have so many match-winners.

Gillespy wrote: »
    NZ are darkhorses for sure. Can't see past Australia, they have so many match-winners.

Yeah the bookies have Australia favourites which is fair enough. Strong at the top with Warner and Finch, then the likes of Smith, Bailey and maybe Clarke in the middle order, with options such as Mitchell Marsh, Maxwell, Faulkner to smash and of course to top it off, Mitch, Hazlewood, Coulter Nile, Starc(better in white ball cricket) the fast bowling options.

Aus, India and NZ look the best of all sides at the moment. Wouldn't rule out Lanka if Malinga fit and who knows England may be reborn with Cook gone?

Don't see South Africa, Pakistan or the West Indies winning though.

• Advertisement

West Indies have dropped 3 of their best players from the one day side!!!!

Bit early to be giving Holder captaincy, good player but quiet young. This all goes back to the pull out of India where Dwayne, Pollard and Sammy were blamed hugely. Ramdin also got some criticism and I think he may be binned as well after the test series.

Afridi retiring from Pakistan ODI cricket after the world cup, I and most of cricket will miss him, so much fun to watch at times although so often he must have broke Pakistani hearts with some crazy misjudged shots.:o

I'd be shocked if Misbah continued as well for them also.

Younis will probably retire as well, but he should have gone years ago, more than 200 ODIS played and barely averaging over 30. What a failure in this format he has been.:mad:

I'd be shocked if Misbah is not in the World Cup squad :confused:...... Did he not score the joint fastest Test century ever against Johnson and co recently:pac::pac:

Agree about Afridi .....incredibly talented but prone to a brain freeze nine times outta ten

I'd be shocked if Misbah is not in the World Cup squad :confused:...... Did he not score the joint fastest Test century ever against Johnson and co recently:pac::pac:

Agree about Afridi .....incredibly talented but prone to a brain freeze nine times outta ten

Ah phrased that wrong, he will definitely be in the squad, Misbah, but I can't see him continuing this format after the world cup. He will be 41 next year:eek::eek

Hafeez or Malik will probably get the captaincy when he is done.

Yeah spot on about Afridi, underrated test player as well, will miss him hugely though, so much fun to watch even if at times for all the wrong reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

I'd love to see Sri Lanka win it for the three lads. Semi finalists and then twice beaten finalists in the last three world cups. I think it'd be an excellent way for them to end their one day careers. It worked out nicely for Tendulkar last time so hopefully this will be Sangakkara, Jayawardene and Dilshan's year.

OT here probably but McCullum just missed out on scoring the fastest double century ever !!!! ......

NZ 5/365 in 65 overs after being put in!!!!

195 in 134 balls of some of the cleanest hitting I have ever seen

Mini Murali (supposedly ) Kashual may need to a while to recover from that, slaughtered. :pac::pac:

India's World Cup squad contains no surprises except for Stuart Binny who just happens to be the son of one of the selectors

They have missed a trick in ignoring Vijay for the World Cup squad....he is in the form of his life......Instead they stick with Dhawan who has looked hopeless in Australia ..... I know it's a different format but I'd rather have somebody in good form ..... Dhawan will feast on the likes of UAE but will get caught out by the bigger teams

The bowler pick themselves bcos there is no one else to choose ...... India's batsmen need to chase well or set targets that even their bowlers can defend

Was confident about India's chances in the World Cup before the Test series started......not so much now

• Advertisement

2 wickets for Mooney as Ireland have Afghanistan at 31/2 after 8 overs in todays warm up match

Ireland dismiss Afghanistan for 144 after 44.2 overs. Dockrell 4/35

7/1 in reply after Stirling gets a duck :(

13/2 now porterfield out for 7 runs

Stirling has this awful knack of getting out within the first 2 overs. Always gets us off to a bad start.

Think its gonna be a tough ask as I think this pitch has plenty of demons in it, but I have to say its a joke how the players didnt get an interval until now. 45 overs in the field and then immediately being asked to bat is totally unfair. Rules need to be changed regarding this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭minitrue

42/3 (from 29/3) now with Porterfield and Wilson joining Stirling in the OUT category. Joyce and Nialler in now, still Balbirnie and Kevin to come (and then Mooney, Cusack, Young and Dockrell). Looks tough but still very doable, hopefully Joyce and Nialler can grind on 50-odd and get the target under 100 (we are chasing 180, 181 to win) at which point I'd fancy us to finish it. Right now though the Afghans have to be favourites.

As Stirling got singled out for comment for getting out cheaply, I have to note he did bowl 9 overs for only 13 runs!

minitrue wrote: »
    42/3 (from 29/3) now with Porterfield and Wilson joining Stirling in the OUT category. Joyce and Nialler in now, still Balbirnie and Kevin to come (and then Mooney, Cusack, Young and Dockrell). Looks tough but still very doable, hopefully Joyce and Nialler can grind on 50-odd and get the target under 100 (we are chasing 180, 181 to win) at which point I'd fancy us to finish it. Right now though the Afghans have to be favourites.

As Stirling got singled out for comment for getting out cheaply, I have to note he did bowl 9 overs for only 13 runs!

Oh dont worry I'm very impressed by his bowling, just he never seems to grit things out when it gets tough. Only his first innings in a while though so I'll cut him some slack

Agree with you otherwise. These two just need to stay out there for 10-20 overs

• Advertisement

Stirling isn't meant to grit it out, he's our aggression at the top to try and take the scoreboard pressure off (though occassionally Porterfield gets off to a flier and Stirling will recognise it and curb his agression). The downside is he will get out early "too often" as a result of the aggression, but he still has 1662 ODI runs at an average of 36 and strike rate of 94. Or in other words I'll take his aggressive gambling to give our cautious next men in (e.g. Joyce, Nialler) some time to try and settle without scoreboard pressure.

Nialler just gone for 22 so we are 73/4 off 20. Not quite getting the target down under 100 as I wanted. Kevin in now to join Joyce and they've (mainly Joyce) had a big first over to take us to 83/4 off 21, 98 required. I'd call it pretty finely balanced now though probably just the edge to the Afghans. These two get us over 100 and I'll give us the edge again but this smells like it will go to the wire.

Every time I think we're about to take the game away from them we lose a wicket.

Well played Joyce anyway in difficult conditions.

Need these two to get us withing 40 or so runs IMO, otherwise they're heavy favourites

Get to the 100 and then Joyce goes a couple of balls later. Balbirnie in now to join Kevin. Probably need these two to put on 40 anyway to get the target down to 40 for Mooney/Cusack/Young/Dockrell. They had a big partnership this season for Leinster but this is another challenge completely. Edge to the Afghans! Now 111/5, 70 required ...

:D as I check the preview and spot "cricket fan" calling for getting the target down to 40 also ;)

KOB out

Again! Just as its looking comfortable we throw a wicket away :(

50 still needed. Balbirnie needs to stick it out. Very very tight now

Now Mooneys gone. Game over

• Advertisement

129/6 and Kevin is gone, Balbirnie on 8 off 12. 52 required. Gotta make the Afghans clear favourites now but 52 is hardly intimidating (off 19 overs) ... and Mooney goes after 2 balls! Cusack and Balbirnie need to get the target down to about 10 now! Not a great start to the series with the bat no matter what happens from here, but the silver lining is it looks like everyone will get a knock ;)

I won't be quite as pessimistic as Cricket fan, game not over but the fat lady is warming up.

I'll admit I'm a pessimist, but being a Leeds fan does that to you :(

Balbirnie dropped.

If these two just stick it out and dont give up a wicket then who knows

Told yous there was nothing to worry about!! :P :P

Just as I'm going to post that it's finally under 10 required so I'd have us favourites Cusack goes and makes it 3 fours in a row and ties the scores :-D I think we can say "Game Over" now ;) Great work from Balbirnie and Cusack (after Joyce) to see a tough chase home (even if Balbirnie got dropped a couple of times it seems).

And there it is, 52 run partnership to see it home by 3 wickets with 6.4 overs to spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Good win :)

West Indian squad announced - Pollard and Bravo out - no doubt a consequence of the pull out from the Indian tour ...... kinda serves them right trying to screw their already bankrupt board for more money ..... now they miss out on the biggest stage in world cricket for a few dollars more ..... its not like they don't make enough money being T20 mercenaries:(

Australia in the meantime have given Clarke until the 21st of Feb to prove his fitness even though the World Cup starts on the 14th!! .....he's made a century and a fifty in his last 15 ODI's..... he is hardly going to be missed by the Aussies......Hopefully he dosen't injure himself coming back half fit and ruin his Test career.....Heart over mind selection I reckon!

Ryan Harris has been Australia's best bowler in recent times and somehow dosen't find a place in the side

Harris probably knackered after the test series and they can do without him somewhat in the ODI format, in test cricket with the Ashes in the summer, they need him so much more.

Cummins, Starc, Johnson, Hazlewood and Faulkner and Watson are decent pace options.

Most squads are fine, the 2 lads been left out of the West Indies was harsh but to be expected as we know how petty they are.

The 2 lads I think most agree should be most upset are Henry who is quality of NZ, and of course Fawad Alam who is probably one of the worst treated international cricketers of the last decade has been pipped by Younis bloody Khan to the Pakistan squad.:mad::confused::eek:

WI pull off the highest successful run chase in a T20 international.....thrilling match at Jo'burg

http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-west-indies-2014-15/engine/match/722337.html

WI particularly Gayle in full flow will be a sight to behold at the World cup:)

What are the odds on NZ for the World cup?......The more I see them play the more I think this might be their year

They have slid under the radar with some tremendous cricket both home and away in the last year and in Williamson and McCullum they have two of the best ODI players in the world at present and a bowling attack suited to their home conditions

• Advertisement
Advertisement