Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi i purchased a Laptop

Options
  • 04-12-2014 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

I purchased a Dell Laptop on the 11/ Febuary 2013. from Argos

I had an issue with my screen last few days when i checked my warranty with my service tag its saying it was March 2012 laptop

i presumed warranty started from the date when i bought it ?

Can anyone tell me what rights i have ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You are correct, the guarantee begins from the date of purchase.
    Even if there was no guarantee you still have certain rights under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act. These rights entitle you initially to a repair or replacement, or (eventually) a refund if the product was defective or not reasonably durable, but not if the defect is due to misuse or user damage. See the sticky at the top of the forum for further details http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=291266

If the problem is software based, e.g. bad video driver update, corrupted OS then it's unlikely to be considered a defect with the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

just the screen flickering happens every so often

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

faolteam wrote: »
    just the screen flickering happens every so often
    Bad inverter or CCFL maybe. A Dell guy should fix that in a second and shouldn't be anything else wrong.

Your system is currently Out of Warranty. Please contact Dell Technical Support for further assistance.

Result: Passed Good news, no errors were found during the diagnostic scan. Please scroll down to review your diagnostic results and suggestions for improving the performance of your system.

so were do i stand now as far as warranty is concerned

As the seller, Argos are legally obliged to honour the full guarantee as if it was provided by Dell themselves. There appears to be an error somewhere so I suggest you take it up with Argos.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Your system is currently Out of Warranty. Please contact Dell Technical Support for further assistance.

Result: Passed Good news, no errors were found during the diagnostic scan. Please scroll down to review your diagnostic results and suggestions for improving the performance of your system.

so were do i stand now as far as warranty is concerned
    I don't think the diagnostic will find a flickering screen. EU warranty is 2 years minimum I thought, I don't know how yours can possibly be out.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I don't think the diagnostic will find a flickering screen. EU warranty is 2 years minimum I thought, I don't know how yours can possibly be out.
    No. The duration of a manufacturer's or seller's guarantee is not defined in Irish or EU consumer law. A manufacturer can set any duration and conditions they want for their guarantee but they must honour whatever they set. Irish consumer law also does not specify a 2 year minimum period since Irish law provides superior protection (up to 6 years under the Statute of Limitations).

these laptops were sold by dell to argos the date started then was march 2012

slimjimmc wrote: »
    No. The duration of a manufacturer's or seller's guarantee is not defined in Irish or EU consumer law. A manufacturer can set any duration and conditions they want for their guarantee but they must honour whatever they set. Irish consumer law also does not specify a 2 year minimum period since Irish law provides superior protection (up to 6 years under the Statute of Limitations).

i am still under guarantee by argos i bought this feb 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

these laptops were sold by dell to argos the date started then was march 2012

Bring it back to argos with your receipt (after backing up all your data of course)

• Advertisement

i am still under guarantee by argos i bought this feb 2013
    That would depend on the duration of the guarantee. If it's a 1 year then no, as it has expired. If you've a 2 year or longer guarantee then yes, I believe so.

(PS can I ask you to please not post part of a sentence in the title field, it makes it somewhat difficult to read when it's split across two places. See how your question now reads as a statement when quoted)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Don't treat it a a guarantee issue; treat it a a consumer rights issue, and take it up with Argos. They sold you a laptop with an implied warranty that it should be good for two years minimum, and it hasn't performed to that expectation.

It's not your fault that Argos had it in their warehouse for the best part of a year. You can tell them that, in effect, they ran down your manufacturer's guarantee.

Don't treat it a a guarantee issue; treat it a a consumer rights issue, and take it up with Argos. They sold you a laptop with an implied warranty that it should be good for two years minimum, and it hasn't performed to that expectation.

It's not your fault that Argos had it in their warehouse for the best part of a year. You can tell them that, in effect, they ran down your manufacturer's guarantee.

Got in touch with dell online tonight and the guy in technical support said as a good will gesture he would help solve the issue which he did

Advertisement