Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in Computing (Adv Software Dev)

Options
  • 04-12-2014 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to do the masters qualifier for MSc in computing in February and then progress on to the MSc in Adv Software Dev after that.

I'm wondering if there is anyone here who took that route as my BA is in psychology and I'm wondering if a 3 month qualifier course will give me enough of an education in computing to be able for the MSc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

Hey there, I'm applying for the same course - the qualifier and then the masters in software :) I've applied to do it part time though, so I probably won't be in the same lectures as you.

My background is in libraries and I have an arts degree, so like you I'm coming from a totally different discipline and don't have much knowledge of computing.

I know about as much as you, but thought I'd check in anyway. The qualifier course is designed specifically for people like you and me who don't have a computing degree, it's called a conversion year. It's aimed at teaching us the fundamentals that we'll need to know for the masters. So ideally it will give us a good grounding in the basics and is a good route to take if you want to change career.

My OH is a web developer and he looked over the different modules of the conversion course. He did say that it looks like we'll be thrown in the deep end a bit, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Here's a link to the list of module descriptions, it will give you an idea of what you'll be learning.

I also have a friend who is actually currently taking the MsC in Computing/Software Development. He didn't have to do the qualifier as his background is in IT, but he did talk to a few people for me who had done the conversion year.

They all said that it was hard work but definitely doable! My friend says the masters course itself is tough going, especially if you're working full time and doing it part time, so you'll be busy for certain chunks of the year. But it's certainly doable for people like us :)

The great thing about computing and coding is that there is a *lot* that you can teach yourself or supplement your work with. Really this area is about constant learning, as things in the world of code and software change so quickly. Any bit of work that you can do will help you, so using your spare time to learn some programming languages or read up on computing will be really helpful.

I've started with really simple (and free) lessons on HTML, CSS, Javascript and jQuery on the website Codecademy. I've also started some lessons on the website Khan Academy (also free) to start brushing up and learning about maths (my maths is really not great). I've one or two books on computing to start looking at the very fundamentals of how computing work. It's all very basic stuff and I'm taking it at a slow pace, it's really just out of interest and to get a handle on the kind of things I'll be learning next year.

There are also one or two colleges in Dublin who do night classes on maths for computing, it might be worth looking at if you're interested in the area. I'll send you a link if you wish.

I also have some links to great lists of online resources that would be good to look at if you're thinking about software development, if you're interested just let me know and I'll post them for you.

Basically I think it will be a lot of hard work, but it's a good route to take!

BTW DIT are having an open day today and tomorrow (http://dit.ie/openday/), I saw a stand for exactly the courses that we are looking at, so if you're free it might be good to go and have a chat with them. I actually work with DIT, so I'm doing to pop down on my lunch and talk to them, see if I can find out any more information on what the qualifier will be like. If I find any useful info I'll let you know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Hey *eadaoin,

That's great advice thanks very much! Glad to know I won't be the only one starting fresh.

I'll defo drop down to the open day and get some info. Thanks a lot for those sites, I'll start learning now in that case.

Also if you could send me those links that'd be class thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭eoinp11

*eadaoin wrote: »

My friend says the masters course itself is tough going, especially if you're working full time and doing it part time, so you'll be busy for certain chunks of the year. But it's certainly doable for people like us :)

I've started with really simple (and free) lessons on HTML, CSS, Javascript and jQuery on the website Codecademy. I've also started some lessons on the website Khan Academy (also free) to start brushing up and learning about maths (my maths is really not great). I've one or two books on computing to start looking at the very fundamentals of how computing work. It's all very basic stuff and I'm taking it at a slow pace, it's really just out of interest and to get a handle on the kind of things I'll be learning next year.

There are also one or two colleges in Dublin who do night classes on maths for computing, it might be worth looking at if you're interested in the area. I'll send you a link if you wish.

I also have some links to great lists of online resources that would be good to look at if you're thinking about software development, if you're interested just let me know and I'll post them for you.

Hey there, your post was pretty informative. I'm wondering did you start the January intake for this? How have you been finding it?

I am trying to decide between this route vs the Hdip with work experience route and i do kind of worry that i'd be biting off a bit too much with the masters route.

Do you feel the prior preparation you did was enough to help you through this? Do you feel ready for the masters after the qualifier?

Also, i'd love those links to the courses in Dublin doing night classes on maths for computing if you recommend them!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭eoinp11

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Hey *eadaoin,

That's great advice thanks very much! Glad to know I won't be the only one starting fresh.

I'll defo drop down to the open day and get some info. Thanks a lot for those sites, I'll start learning now in that case.

Also if you could send me those links that'd be class thanks :)

Hey, did you go ahead with this course in the end or did you pick something else? How was it for you? Any advice?

Advertisement