Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11 Bray South Slip, new lane layout?

• 04-12-2014 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

Following the resurfacing of the slip road from the N11 to the Brennanstown roundabout (ie at Topaz), I see new lane markings where the "left turn only" arrow has been removed from the left lane at the approach to the roundabout. This, in effect, now makes the left lane the correct lane for traffic exiting onto Killarney Rd, as opposed to the right lane which was the case previously.
    I wonder if this was the intention of the council? The lack of lane markings can only lead to confusion and conflict between those correctly reading the sign on approach and those (the majority it seems) who still use the right lane.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If it was the intention then they should explicitly mark it as such, and put up some warning signs that it's changed. Actually, I always found the dedicated left turn lane a bit odd anyway, as it's only really used by traffic doing the loop around to go to Enniskerry, i.e. very much in the minority. Keeping traffic from backing up on the sliproad should be the priority here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Alun wrote: »
    If it was the intention then they should explicitly mark it as such, and put up some warning signs that it's changed. Actually, I always found the dedicated left turn lane a bit odd anyway, as it's only really used by traffic doing the loop around to go to Enniskerry, i.e. very much in the minority. Keeping traffic from backing up on the sliproad should be the priority here.

If only that were the case. I can't believe there have not been major smashes caused by those who go into the left lane and then go right around the roundabout onto the Southern Cross.

I remember years ago seeing a Guard on a motorbike standing there making everyone go left. Very amusing it was

Another possibility is the obvious one of incompetence. Take the fairly recent cock-up on the road marking front at the junction of Herbert Road and Main Street as an example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

On that, if they slightly widened the road on the approach to the roundabout from the Southern Cross, it would help the traffic flow.

So many people stop right in the middle blocking cars taking the slip left onto the N11 going south.

Easy enough to do.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    On that, if they slightly widened the road on the approach to the roundabout from the Southern Cross, it would help the traffic flow.

So many people stop right in the middle blocking cars taking the slip left onto the N11 going south.

Easy enough to do.
    I agree, there's plenty of room to the left of the slip road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

If you look out at the terrain where the road still has 2 lanes, nearer the Giltspur/Woodies roundabout there is a kind of narrow causeway or a bridge over a ravine, yet they still managed to squeeze in the 2 lanes.

Then the 2 lanes merge into 1 nearer the Brennanstown roundabout, which is just where 2 lanes are needed! To keep the 2 lanes it would possibly meaning taking a strip of land by CPO from near the entrance to the riding stables, but the ground is level enough around there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

recedite wrote: »
    If you look out at the terrain where the road still has 2 lanes, nearer the Giltspur/Woodies roundabout there is a kind of narrow causeway or a bridge over a ravine, yet they still managed to squeeze in the 2 lanes.

Then the 2 lanes merge into 1 nearer the Brennanstown roundabout, which is just where 2 lanes are needed! To keep the 2 lanes it would possibly meaning taking a strip of land by CPO from near the entrance to the riding stables, but the ground is level enough around there.

Even if it goes into one lane and then changes into two it would improve things.

also, why is the roundabout so big... surely if they reduced the size of it, it would make things easier..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Even if it goes into one lane and then changes into two it would improve things.

also, why is the roundabout so big... surely if they reduced the size of it, it would make things easier..

Imho if it was smaller it would be difficult to get on to especially when busy. Larger roundabouts facilitate better traffic flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

I saw a bloke measuring the junction of Herbert Road an the N11 during the week. There's another joke of a junction. I can't count the number of times I've had to stand on the brakes entering the N11 because some joker treated the slip lane to the Herbert Road as a third lane on the N11 and drove at speed across my path. A solid island of some sort would put manners on people there.

And don't get me started on that mess that is the exit southbound at Kilmac at the Topaz....

rant over

Advertisement