Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet connection problem? "Cannot find server"

Options
  • 04-12-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

For the last 2 days, I have noticed that web pages now take quite a while to open and mostly I will end up with the message "cannot find server" or even "you are not connected to the internet" even though I am. If a web page does load quite often it looks completely not right or if there are images only a little blank square will show up. I use a Macbook Pro (2012), however my phone (Samsung galaxy) has the same issue and so does my dad's laptop.

Our internet provider is BT and we have never had any issues before.

I really don't know anything about fixing problems and do not know who to turn to. Can anyone offer any advice? It's extremely difficult to work with this as we use internet quite a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

After finally managing to google for some fixes for this problem (couldn't get onto google for ages) i found this and it seems to have worked

system preferences>Network>Advanced>DNS>+ and adding in these two numbers under DNS Servers:

i have to be honest I have not got a clue what any of this means but it seems to have sorted this very frustrating problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

It definitely sounds like a network issue.
    First:
    Restart your router manually by unplugging it and plugging it back in after 30 seconds. Sometimes routers just need a fresh reboot to get things going again.
    Check the lights on your router or modem. Green = good, red = bad, and flashing indicates activity.
    Do BT have a cap on your usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I rebooted the router before changing the DNS numbers but it didn't really do anything. We don't have a cap on our BT internet so I know that can't be it.

Everything seems to be going ok for me that I changed the DNS numbers. Haven't tried using any other device so hopefully I can get them going too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

It's common enough for ISP's to have the odd problem with their DNS servers. The OpenDNS servers you changed to should serve you well.

Btw DNS stands for Domain Name Server and it's a service that translates difficult to remember IP addresses (e.g. 134.232.43.12) to more friendly names like 'ilikecats.friendlyname.com' :)

Advertisement