Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Told to Install Pay as you Go meter or be cut off for christmas

Options
  • 04-12-2014 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got a phone call today telling me if I didnt allow you to install a pay as you go meter in my home, my power would be cut off over christmas.

The person on the phone was very rude and unhelpful, what is this about? I dont know why I have to switch and I'd rather not. They told me because I refused a couple of months ago that this was my "last chance" and I'd be "cut off over christmas" if I didnt agree to it.

Firstly, I was never told this was mandatory, it was offered and I said I didnt want it, I thought that was the end of it.

Secondly I am deeply disturbed by the threatening and emotionally manipulative language you're using in calls. I've been a loyal customer with ESB for over 30 years without a problem so this was an absolute shocker. Specifically trying to say you'll ruin my christmas if I dont agree is so blatantly manipulative and disgusting I cant believe you think it's acceptable.

If you have a good reason for forcing this on me then by all means explain it clearly and politely but being left unclear and attacked is pretty much the worst experience I have ever had with a company in my life.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Sieghardt,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We're very sorry to hear of the manner in which you were spoken to, and agree that it is not acceptable.

Can you please send us your details by private message (including your full name, address, contact number and confirmation that you are the account holder) so that we can look into this for you?

Just for info, we would generally offer the Pay As You Go option to customers who are experiencing difficulty clearing arrears on their account, as it offers flexibility and convenience and makes it easier to gradually clear any outstanding balances. However it is optional, not mandatory.

Thanks,
    David

Advertisement