Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby sleeping routine

Options
  • 04-12-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My baby is 23 weeks and I just wondering should I be putting her upstairs for naps at this stage? And what age is it realistic to move babies into their own room. Don't get me wrong I'm in no rush! But I don't want to leave it to long that she might be afraid on her own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

My baby is 23 weeks and I just wondering should I be putting her upstairs for naps at this stage? And what age is it realistic to move babies into their own room. Don't get me wrong I'm in no rush! But I don't want to leave it to long that she might be afraid on her own.

It all depends on your circumstances and your baby.
    Have you other children that disturb baby.

Do you feel she disturbs easily.

I have started to put my 14 week up during the day as he has two sisters who are stuck to him and can't keep hands to themselves.
    It's all individualised I think.
    If you want baby to nap downstairs then let her.

They won't develop fears of being alone for a long time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bellabella14

No she's my first. She is a really good sleeper, naps twice a day for 40 mins and goes to bed at 7.30 pm till about 7 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have a three year old boy, slept with us for about a year while I was breastfeeding him. Moved to his own bed then when he was ready, with no problems. Runs to bed at 7pm, goes to sleep in minutes and sleeps like a log. I firmly believe the year with us made him totally secure in himself, knowing we were right there if he needed us.

Moving them before they are ready is a mistake in my opinion, we let him lead the way in all these kind of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

We moved our girl to her own room when she was sleeping through a good amount at 6 months. We noticed we were disturbing her when we came into bed but in her own room she didn't notice us mooching about . She's been napping in her cot since about 5 months too. Only reason being she outgrew her swing that she used to nap in before that. It works though! I feel I can do things I wouldn't do if she was napping in the same room as me like cleaning, cooking etc.
    What works for us might not work for you and vice versa though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bellabella14

kandr10 wrote: »
    We moved our girl to her own room when she was sleeping through a good amount at 6 months. We noticed we were disturbing her when we came into bed but in her own room she didn't notice us mooching about . She's been napping in her cot since about 5 months too. Only reason being she outgrew her swing that she used to nap in before that. It works though! I feel I can do things I wouldn't do if she was napping in the same room as me like cleaning, cooking etc.
    What works for us might not work for you and vice versa though!

Thanks for your reply. I think your right about not been able to do things when she naps downstairs and perhaps we may unsettle her a bit at night going to bed. I think I might brace myself and mover her earlier in the new year and see how it goes. Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I think my son was about that age when I started putting him down for naps upstairs and his napping got better and better as time went on. He can sometimes wake mid nap and I find it easy to get him back to sleep upstairs where it's dark and quiet. When he napped downstairs, once he woke there was no going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Serveesh wrote: »
    I have a three year old boy, slept with us for about a year while I was breastfeeding him. Moved to his own bed then when he was ready, with no problems. Runs to bed at 7pm, goes to sleep in minutes and sleeps like a log. I firmly believe the year with us made him totally secure in himself, knowing we were right there if he needed us.

Moving them before they are ready is a mistake in my opinion, we let him lead the way in all these kind of things.

My fella is more than ready and if he was still in room with us he would be disturbed more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We moved our fella in at around 12 weeks. He used to sleep T shaped and his arms outgrew the width of his crib so he kept waking himself up banging his hands off the rungs. We moved him into his cot in the nursery and he absolutely loved it from day 1, everyone slept better as we weren't all waking each other up fidgeting :) I started putting him up into the cot for his early daytime nap around the same time and found that once he got used to it, he settled and napped better than he had been doing in his bouncer and we didn't have to tiptoe around him :D Even now he still has his evening nap downstairs, either in his highchair, buggy or on the couch with me (or up in my bed once in a blue moon if I have time for a lie down :D)

Every baby is different, as is every parent. I remember some people being shocked when I told them that my 3 month old was in his own room, in his cot, sleeping 10-11 hours without a feed. One woman in particular insinuated that I was starving him for my own benefit of a good nights sleep but as I pointed out to her, he never woke up looking for a feed and was more than happy to be in his own room :pac: My phn said as long as he was sleeping through and we were comfortable with it, then it was fine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No she's my first. She is a really good sleeper, naps twice a day for 40 mins and goes to bed at 7.30 pm till about 7 am.

Jaysus, keep doing what you're doing :).

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I moved my now 13 week old baby into her own room at 2 weeks old.
    She has had her naps upstairs in her own bedroom since she was 8 weeks old.
    She goes to bed at 9pm and wakes at 07:30.

She has always been a great sleeper and eater and I've followed what was mostly her own natural routine anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

First time mother to an almost 6 month old. She's been in her cot for naps since about 8 weeks. She does 40 mins twice a day too, then 7:30pm til about 5:30am. Funny, I'd say my little one's daytime napping is a bit of a disaster, but it's interesting to hear you say it's good! Anyway, we put her in the cot because she isn't the type to just drop off in slings and bouncers, I had to take her away to a quiet place to get her to sleep. It's good for me in a way because it means I can have people downstairs and be doing some work while she's asleep, without worrying too much about waking her. It's good for her too because I literally pop her in her cot with her soother, and she falls asleep by herself (though I stay in the room til she's very drowsy) without rocking etc, so it's taught her that, which is great. It took a lot of work mind you.....

Next step is moving her to her own room. I'm ok with it, except I'll have to get out of bed and go to the other room to put in the soother if she wakes at night....which I'm not mad about the idea of....!!!!!

Advertisement