Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garbage collection

Options
  • 04-12-2014 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone,

We just moved in a small house in the city center and quickly bumped into an issue: How do we get rid of our garbage? It's not an apartment complex so we have to take care of it ourselves.
    Would anyone have advice on which company to pick (Greyhound, Keywaste,...) and how much it would cost?

Thanks a lot
    Will

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You'll need to ask the neighbours which companies are available in your area.
    Some city centre streets are still bag collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

My advice is not Greyhound. You will see on the various websites for the refuse collectors who does your area. Are there no big bins in the basement? I thought people in apartments had shared bins... Ask your neighbours!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I thought people in apartments had shared bins... Ask your neighbours!

OP says they are in a house not an apartment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

D City bins do a lot of Dublin city centre now. They're cheaper than Greyhound.

Ask a neighbour - or when you see bags of rubbish left out check the labels on them. Your local newsagent will probably sell the stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Riskymove wrote: »
    OP says they are in a house not an apartment

Woops :) The word 'apartment' was clearly all that caught my eye there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    D City bins do a lot of Dublin city centre now. They're cheaper than Greyhound.

Ask a neighbour - or when you see bags of rubbish left out check the labels on them. Your local newsagent will probably sell the stickers.

Are D City bins still around? I found a bintag for them, but cant find any info online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Are D City bins still around? I found a bintag for them, but cant find any info online.

http://www.citybin.com/cms/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Theyre a different company, but I looked on the tag and it says http://allenwasteremovals.com/ on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Theyre a different company, but I looked on the tag and it says http://allenwasteremovals.com/ on it

Yeah - they're still collecting on Tuesday mornings in Stoneybatter.

Give them a call if you're unsure about your area though. I think they ask you do that to register with them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Are there no bins on your property? If not then ask your neighbours, or keep an eye out for bins on the street/in front gardens, to find out what companies operate in your area. When you contact them and set up an account they will supply wheelie bins, if those are in your area, or advise you on how to get bin tags. There is usually a yearly fee as well as a per-lift fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

spurious wrote: »
    You'll need to ask the neighbours which companies are available in your area.
    Some city centre streets are still bag collection.

I can't understand this. I'm originally from Galway and even in the city centre there have been three separate corporation bins (domestic, recycling & compost) for years now. In Dublin city centre there doesn't seem to be any separation of waste??

All those bags seem to get picked by birds and the street looks like a kip as a result...whats the story with that?

Even my apartment complex have no separation of waste...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We have recycling bags and 'normal' binbags. Our street is very narrow and the houses would have no storage for the wheelie bins, so we are still on bags. We don't have a brown bin collection.

We used to have a great system run by the Corporation, but then they privatised it and made a dog's dinner of it. Easily once every three months or so our bins are all left uncollected. Top notch service from Greyhound.

Advertisement