Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your view on Knock Airport charging everyone a tenner to leave it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Pretty sure I had to pay a fee in Bangkok and that's a big ass airport.

if you did you were scammed. no suprise exit or entry fees in subarnabhumi. Unless they have introduced the visa fee on arrival they have been talking about for the last 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Graham wrote: »
    Do you think it's ok for an Airport to spring a last minute charge on passengers even though it is aware that the majority of passengers have not been informed of this charge in advance?
    The problem is ryanair not telling their passengers, how are you still able to ignore that simple fact?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

ScumLord wrote: »
    The problem is ryanair not telling their passengers, how are you still able to ignore that simple fact?

I answered previously, the Airport have a moral obligation to make sure passengers are informed along with the airline. If they can't fulfil that, they should stop collecting the change.

I'll ask again as you chose to ignore the question:

Do you think it's ok for an Airport to spring a last minute charge on passengers even though it is aware that the majority of passengers have not been informed of this charge in advance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'll ask again as you chose to ignore the question:
    I can't answer your question, it's nonsensical because the airport do inform their customers. Either directly through their website, at the airport and also through warning their customers (the airlines) that they need to inform their customers (passengers) in accordance with EU law.

Every airline bar one gives the warning up front before selling the ticket, but you choose to ignore this fact and instead choose to blame the company that's done everything you ask for. The fact that Ryanair is the biggest airline so will have the most passengers uninformed is inconsequential to the argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

im just on the IWAK website - why shove the details at bottom right of page - so underhanded stick it up top of page big letters ... are are they not wanting it to be prominent as to avoid putting people off????

I not a professional with designing websites but even I know if you have an 'Important Notice' you shove it bang right up the top of the page in fairly big letters so people with poor eyesite can read it properly - not display it at bottom of page in small writing easily missed - no wonder people still get a nasty shock/surprise as they are going through departures ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

im just on the IWAK website - why shove the details at bottom right of page - so underhanded stick it up top of page big letters ... are are they not wanting it to be prominent as to avoid putting people off????

I not a professional with designing websites but even I know if you have an 'Important Notice' you shove it bang right up the top of the page in fairly big letters so people with poor eyesite can read it properly - not display it at bottom of page in small writing easily missed - no wonder people still get a nasty shock/surprise as they are going through departures ...

It's there as plain as day in the images which rotate on both mobile and desktop versions of the site

It's there as plain as day in the images which rotate on both mobile and desktop versions of the site

ah right i just looked at it again - plain as night time so it was , missed it first time - why the hell have they got it on a scrolling advert box thingy that keeps changing quickly ... oh yeah i know they dont want to display it STATICALLY and plain in large writing at the top of the page ... because they dont want to put customers off :rolleyes:

ah right i just looked at it again - plain as night time so it was , missed it first time - why the hell have they got it on a scrolling advert box thingy that keeps changing quickly ... oh yeah i know they dont want to display it STATICALLY and plain in large writing at the top of the page ... because they dont want to put customers off :rolleyes:

Oh ffs, it's in the rotating banner images because that's where you put banner announcements and adverts, to catch attention. Your straw men arguments are not working

Oh ffs, it's in the rotating banner images because that's where you put banner announcements and adverts, to catch attention. Your straw men arguments are not working

You don't put something on screen for 2 seconds at a time, rotating with 5 other banners if you want to draw attention to it.

You fix it, prominently, front and centre.

You don't put something on screen for 2 seconds at a time, rotating with 5 other banners if you want to draw attention to it.

my sentiments exactly ....

• Advertisement

Ffs, it's clear as day, couldn't be clearer and it's more than 2 seconds. Click on the image it brings you to the page. Clutching at straws now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I've used the airport on a number of occasions over the past couple of years. Shannon is an easier trip for many of us who want to end up in Galway. It must suit those from Mayo, Sligo and Roscommon though.

The €10 fee is not an issue. It's a lovely little airport with regular flights. Mick O'Leary is very happy to land planes there. I've been happy to have landed there. And to have left from there. It's a lovely little success story. Surviving and expanding. Making it easier to do business in the area. Making it easier for people to head home. Or for tourists to visit. €10 is the cost of a box of fags or two pints of beer. I'd value the convenience. Some people want to complain about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Agree with the last line above, 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

You could imagine the uproar if Dublin airport started demanding a €10 tax. It wouldn't last too long.

What, you think people would stop using it and drive to Cork or Shannon.

would be better to do this way on their website and less transparent and upfront for everyone to see straight away:

iwak.jpg

.... or abolish the €10 fee and take the fee from somewhere else!

This post has been deleted.

ok:rolleyes:

It's the completely underhand way it's implemented.

If the airport is so absolutely confident that passengers are prepared to pay an additional €10 'for the convenience' on top of the airfare then why not be up-front about it? Why have it in a rotating banner that displays the charge for 3 seconds and even then, only after a notification about Ryanair's bag policy and an advert for airport parking?

In any other circumstances, a hidden fees amounting to millions of Euro would have people out waving banners and staging sit-ins.

would be better to do this way on their website and less transparent and upfront for everyone to see straight away:

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x361/Andyr_45/iwak.jpg

.... or abolish the €10 fee and take the fee from somewhere else!

A week after your thread started we get the point, now where is the unfollow button

... €10 is the cost of a box of fags or two pints of beer. I'd value the convenience. Some people want to complain about everything.

its not just about the fee its about:

*There is a problem (for one reason or another) the people who get to the gate and havent heard of this fee or havent noticed it on the website or when booking!

*People who get to the gate who havent got a tenner on them or who have spent all their euros or who want to spend their last ten euro in the departure lounge shops

*why can not a 'professional' outfit like this airport secure this development/airport running fee from other sources instead of asking it from the public/travellers at the last minute like this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Departure tax is common throughout the West Indies and the airport will only takes cash. What really gets up my pipe is the fact the tax has to be paid in $US. The cheeky gits won't take the local $'s...

Never heard of it here though...

Departure tax is common throughout the West Indies and the airport will only takes cash. What really gets up my pipe is the fact the tax has to be paid in $US. The cheeky gits won't take the local $'s...

Never heard of it here though...

It's not a tax that Knock Airport are charging, it's an additional tenner 'fee'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It's not a tax that Knock Airport are charging, it's an additional tenner 'fee'.

Same meat - different gravy. It's paid on departure is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I flew out of there last year my wife and i had to pay the tenner each, which annoyed us. Also the parking was a total rip off in the end it would have worked out cheaper for us to use Dublin. After the parking and airport fee. Is a nice little airport though. If i needed to fly in there and have someone pick me up Id have no issues using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

This is a topic that has been discussed to death. Some of the posts on this are ridiculous and misinformed. The haters of the charge are never going to change their view so there is no reason to keep arguing about it. The airport are not acting illegally, Ryanair is the root of all these problems and Knock need this fee to stay open day to day.
    Dont like it? Go to Dublin or Shannon thats exactly what you would have to do if there was no fee!!! The statement that there is no evidence of any development is just wrong. Obviously it has been said by someone with no knowlege of the industry and doesnt understand what ILS or RESA upgrades are to mention a few.

The sad thing is I really can't see this ending well for the airport.

At some point airlines that are not clearly communicating the 'airport development fee' will face a legal challenge to force compliance with legislation. When this happens traffic will drop hurting both the airlines and ultimately the airport itself.

How much traffic will the airport loose when this happens? I hope they have one hell of a contingency plan.

I hope the future of the airport doesn't rest on the continued obfuscation of the real cost to passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

At some point airlines that are not clearly communicating the 'airport development fee' will face a legal challenge to force compliance with legislation.

I hope the future of the airport doesn't rest on the continued obfuscation of the real cost to passengers.

If it was breaching regulations do you not think that this would have been addressed by now?! If it is in fact illegal (I'm no lawyer) and has been overlooked by authorities then there may be disastrous consequences but I certainly hope that day never comes. In an economic recession, Knock has had a continuous rise in passenger numbers and I hope this continues for the future. The fee is necessary for the airport to continue to be a major asset for the western region and I am sure that the majority of its users have no hesitation paying it. It's €10 is it really going to break the bank? Undesirable as it may be it's the price to pay for convenience and a stress free journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bertie 56

The point of view of one former worker there :

" The truth about galway airport.

The staff at galway airport have worked very hard over the last number of years to further the business, look after its customers and build themselves a future. Along with a small group of other employees of the airport, we wanted to clarify a few things and set the record straight.
    We believe the airport has been mismanaged terribly over the last number of years. We have heard the Minister for Transport say that the airport is running with a huge cost base, this is true. The top four managers, who consist of the "senior management team" run up a wages bill in excess of half a million euro. This doesnt include company cars, credit cards, gym memberships, health insurance, unlimited phone bills and big expense accounts. This perhaps wouldn't be too bad if any significant milestones had been achieved in the last few years, but instead all that has happened has been a litany of disasters. A navigation device for aircraft which cost a quarter of a million euro called an NDB which has never been switched on! An emergency water supply which cost tens of thousands of euro, also never used and not installed correctly, massive lights on the aircraft parking areas bought, installed and never used, costing an absolute fortune.
    They have sat back and watched while airlines pulled out and destinations were dropped. The airport went from having 16 busy routes over 3 airlines, to having no routes and no airline, only empty promises of return, that not even the airlines own employees believe. From processing over 300,000 passengers a year, to processing 0! And the airport management and board of management have sat back and watched it all happen, nothing done about it, nothing changed. Managers kept in their positions because of pride, the unwillingness to admit that the dream team wasnt working.

Staff positions and promotions were never done fairly and always carried out in secret, with little regard to qualifications or suitability or even age or life experience. As it was put recently, the airport has only served as a breeding ground for management and their offspring, with nepotism, absenteeism and office romance dictating the direction the airport was taken. "

The full post is here :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75586199&postcount=190

if it was good airport run at Business level then should it not run without the 10euro development fee? - should not this airport be self sufficient even without the development fee - if an airport needs this extra revenue at departure gate level to 'survive' then there is something drastically wrong with the running of it in my eyes....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

if it was good airport run at Business level then should it not run without the 10euro development fee? - should not this airport be self sufficient even without the development fee - if an airport needs this extra revenue at departure gate level to 'survive' then there is something drastically wrong with the running of it in my eyes....

In one of the lowest populated regions of the country, it is surviving very, very well. Outshining Airports that are much closer to cities (Galway. Sligo, even Waterford).

Yes the tenner is a bit annoying. But again, its a great facility for the people of Connacht. If they could drop an airport in the midlands (and charge me a tenner extra for flying out), I would use it in preference to Dublin too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement