Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your view on Knock Airport charging everyone a tenner to leave it?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

In one of the lowest populated regions of the country

That does rather beg the question, was it really a good idea to build an airport in one of the least populated regions of the country.
    it is surviving very, very well.

Unfortunately its survival appears to rest on using bait & switch tactics to give the illusion that it can compete on price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

It provides a great service to Connacht and should be kept.

I think all them people calling for knock are from other regions in Ireland who have better services than in the West.

No stress there, easy check in, friendly staff, and no issues with parking.
    It's one of the few things that we have in the West, and for convenience if nothing else 10 euro is nothing to pay additionally when the flights are dirt cheap anyway...all very well to say Shannon can serve this corner of Ireland but it's not the nicest journey in the world going from N. Mayo or Sligo to Shannon.

I fly into there a lot and every flight that I take is packed, and i mean absolutely packed...doesn't matter what day of the week it is!!!

And the OP who called it a cow shed??
    Seriously, Knock is a lovely small airport with modern facilities...I'd love to see the cow sheds you've seen if you think they're comparable.

all very well to say Shannon can serve this corner of Ireland but it's not the nicest journey in the world going from N. Mayo or Sligo to Shannon.

One could probably argue that Sligo would still have a viable airport operation if it were not for IAW Knock splitting the airline traffic for the region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Graham wrote: »
    One could probably argue that Sligo would still have a viable airport operation if it were not for IAW Knock splitting the airline traffic for the region.

Knock is more or less central to all of Connacht with a good road there.

The 'West of Ireland Airport' should be in Galway really but since it's not, a central spot in the province is not a bad 2nd option.

Knock is more or less central to all of Connacht with a good road there.

The 'West of Ireland Airport' should be in Galway really but since it's not, a central spot in the province is not a bad 2nd option.

Good point.

In that case the argument could be that the unnecessary development of Knock airport has contributed to the split of traffic and subsequent closure of 2 airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Graham wrote: »

Knock more central for Galweigans/Sligonians.

The same way Shannon can cater for Limerick and South Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

And the OP who called it a cow shed??
    Seriously, Knock is a lovely small airport with modern facilities...I'd love to see the cow sheds you've seen if you think they're comparable.

ok ok ... it used to be fondly known as the cow-shed years ago before they developed and upgraded it - i admit its nicer now more lighter and airy'ier and looks more like a proper airport once you get inside - mind u it still operated in the same way years ago before the development fee was introduced, planes took off and landed much the same as they do today and there was still a bar and cafe upstairs ... in the cow shed :) - who asked for a development fee to be introduced? not me, who asked for it to be modernised? - not me ... have i got a choice to pay this fee? - no, not me .... - I personally wouldnt have cared if it stayed the same it was all them years ago, it was ok for a small airport, it done its job - i am a great believer in that if its not broke dont fix it

... it wasnt broke, it didnt need developing to this extent and then they neednt have charged this fee now, life could be so simple if people didnt go changing things. - if other people/passengers werent happy with the way the airport looked or operated, fine, develop it - but then charge them instead

now sligo airport has gone I would like to see a Knock to Dublin flight .... thats if there isnt one already there - and hell a knock to other airports in ireland flights - the runways are already there and the airport is already there, all they have to do is lay on the flights - that would be 'development' seeing how crap the roads are in Dublin still with no nationwide motorways

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

There will never be a knock to Dublin flight with the motorway now surely.

There will never be a knock to Dublin flight with the motorway now surely.

motorway? - i hope you are not referring to the N4 as a 'motorway' - a motorway has no roundabouts, no traffic lights and is wide all the way with 3 lanes and you can travel 120 km/h (75mph) - far from a motorway the N4 to dublin road is!! - its funny, one of the longest Motorways in the UK is the M1 built by a lot of Irish people yet cannot get a decent long stretch of motorway in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

I personally wouldnt have cared if it stayed the same it was all them years ago, it was ok for a small airport, it done its job - i am a great believer in that if its not broke dont fix it

... it wasnt broke, it didnt need developing to this extent and then they neednt have charged this fee now, life could be so simple if people didnt go changing things. - if other people/passengers werent happy with the way the airport looked or operated, fine, develop it - but then charge them instead

This post is just ridiculous...if it stayed the same as it was when you used the airport (which sounds like 20 years ago) then you would have about 3 routes available and that "cowshed" you refer to. Now it has destinations across Europe, something that seemed inpossible in the cowshed days. No business is set up with the aim of not fixing it if its not broken...that would lead to some absolutely terrible companies. The complaint that i am hearing most often now is that there isnt enough room in departures when there are a number of flights at the same time. Further proof that the airport needs to expand more hence the development fee. Have a read of this it might enlighten you considering it sounds like you havent used the airport in a long time:

http://www.irelandwestairport.com/airportguide/airportdevelopments.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

have i got a choice to pay this fee? - no, not me ....
    You do have a choice, drive to Dublin.
    - I personally wouldnt have cared if it stayed the same it was all them years ago, it was ok for a small airport, it done its job - i am a great believer in that if its not broke dont fix it
    Ridiculous. They can't keep the place a tip just for you, it needed to cater for tourists that are used to something better than a cow shed. The airport had to move with the times, modern equipment isn't cheap. It's not just about what kind of front they put on the building there are countless other considerations that we can't see that drives up the cost.

motorway? - i hope you are not referring to the N4 as a 'motorway' - a motorway has no roundabouts, no traffic lights and is wide all the way with 3 lanes and you can travel 120 km/h (75mph) - far from a motorway the N4 to dublin road is!!
    Where are there any roundabouts on the M4? I can think of one at the start in Galway. Your getting really ridiculous now, it's like you can only find the negative in things, even if you have to make it up.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Where are there any roundabouts on the M4? I can think of one at the start in Galway. Your getting really ridiculous now, it's like you can only find the negative in things, even if you have to make it up.

get with it I said N4 - not M4 ....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement