Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your view on Knock Airport charging everyone a tenner to leave it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

kneemos wrote: »
    Is there a mass before the flight?

there bloody need to be!

branie2 wrote: »
    What would our Lady of Knock think of it?

what would Msr. Horan make of it! ? :eek:

You can pay by card.

Bejaysus thats Modren! ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

This was discussed in the knock airport thread, http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056641568/1.
    Got rather heated between a few users at stages.
    On mobile so not sure if the link will work for PC users.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

No it doesn't make sense. I live in Roscommon, I can be in Knock in 35-40 minutes, park in the car park and walk to the terminal in 2 minutes. There is never a queue at check in so it's hassle free.

Flying from Dublin means 2 - 2:20 hours to the airport. Park in long term car park. Wait for shuttle to terminal. Need to turn up an hour before the flight because it's likely there will be a queue going through security. All that time could be spent in bed.

I got a flight around 10am from Knock to London a few weeks back. I got up just before 8 that morning. If I was taking a flight at the same time from Dublin I'd have probably been up at 5am.

So they might be charging €10 up front, but it costs a whole lot less just taking petrol costs into account.

It's no different in people refusing to take a €50 Ryanair flight because there is a €20 charge for checking in baggage but they would have no problem booking the same flight if it was €70 with check in baggage included.

All good points.

But from where I live (Galway), Knock isn't the easiest place to get to by public transport.

Regular access to Dublin and Shannon is a lot handier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭millerj

For me personally it is not the actual €10 but the fact that it is unexpected. I live in Cork and for a change recently extended a break to UK by taking in a short stay in the west. Stayed at the McWilliam in Claremorris and really enjoyed it. Enjoyed the stay and really enjoyed Knock Airport but I was surprised myself at how annoyed I felt about this charge. I just think its the fact that it is so unexpected. It would not bother me if the car park was an extra five euro per day or if the cup of coffee was an extra few bob etc because that is kind of what we all expect at airports. It is funny as to how many people I actually told about this charge on both sides of the Irish sea as it just seems like extortion. I actually kept the receipt to show people such was my disbelief. Thankfully on this occasion there were only two of us travelling as being hit with €50 or €60 before you start could potentially ruin a family's short break budget. I did email Ireland West to express my annoyance but was fed the Blackpool, Norwich and Newquay examples as were mentioned earlier in the thread but just because someone else does it does not make it right. As much as I enjoyed the overall experience I must admit as a point of principle I would not use the airport again due to this fee...............to the benefit of Farranfore (Kerry Airport) and the local hotel and facilities for my next trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

You'd better donate de' dough, de' dough, ye'd better donate the dough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

To be fair nearly all airlines and the airport website display it clearly, the exception being Ryanair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

millerj wrote: »
    . Thankfully on this occasion there were only two of us travelling as being hit with €50 or €60 before you start could potentially ruin a family's short break budget.
    With regards familes, they only charge the tenner for people aged 12 and up, 11 and under don't pay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

can't believe they are charging a 10er for this? If I lived in the west i would not use this airport. Knock Airport should have never been built in the first place, the country does not need it. Dublin, Cork and Shannon airports is all we really need for a country of this size with a relatively small population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Ireland west airport is a small airport and doesn't receive large government funding like other airports. It has to charge this fee for developmental upkeep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Gonzo wrote: »
    can't believe they are charging a 10er for this? If I lived in the west i would not use this airport. Knock Airport should have never been built in the first place, the country does not need it. Dublin, Cork and Shannon airports is all we really need for a country of this size with a relatively small population.

It's holding its own presumably?

Gonzo wrote: »

It's keeping it's head above water, is self sufficient, how much is Shannon costing the taxpayer?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

anna080 wrote: »
    Ireland west airport is a small airport and doesn't receive large government funding like other airports. It has to charge this fee for developmental upkeep.

650,000 passengers at €10 = €6,500,000
    Let's round that down to €5 million to take into account children under 11.

Capital spending last year was €2.1 million
    Where was the other €3 million worth of 'airport development'?

Graham wrote: »

Running the airport?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Running the airport?

So not an airport development fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I'd happily pay that to avoid Dublin Airport, and I don't even think Dublin is that bad, but I've always found it much more relaxing to fly out of small regional airports.

It's a fee to use the airport, who cares what it's called

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It's to keep it open essentially. If they didn't get it they'd have to close. It's a nice little airport and appreciated greatly here in the wesht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Knasher wrote: »
    I'd happily pay that to avoid Dublin Airport, and I don't even think Dublin is that bad, but I've always found it much more relaxing to fly out of small regional airports.

Me too. Eindhoven over Amsterdam any day.
    Cork over Dublin any day

Feck Shannon

Love small airports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Isn't that 650000 figure the inbound and outbound passengers together? The 10 euro fee is only paid by the outbound passengers isn't it?

anna080 wrote: »
    It's to keep it open essentially. If they didn't get it they'd have to close. It's a nice little airport and appreciated greatly here in the wesht.

... if it puts people off using the airport because of it - number of users will fall and theyd have to close ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

... if it puts people off using the airport because of it - number of users will fall and theyd have to close ...

There is no other airport around for miles so they are stuck with it.

Lapin wrote: »
    All good points.

But from where I live (Galway), Knock isn't the easiest place to get to by public transport.

Regular access to Dublin and Shannon is a lot handier.

mad that it isnt the easiest to get to by public transport from galway .... because its on the N17 Galway road!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

mad that it isnt the easiest to get to by public transport from galway .... because its on the N17 Galway road!!

I dunno, I just looked up the Bus Eireann website. They have 6 buses going from Galway to Sligo tomorrow that stop at Knock Airport. Hardly difficult to get to.

Knock is a great airport, you always meet someone you know!

I was on one of the first ever flights into it but they didn't have the runway lights installed yet and the fog came down and was diverted to Shannon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I was on one of the first ever flights into it but they didn't have the runway lights installed yet and the fog came down and was diverted to Shannon :D

I've never been to Knock :o Strike me down now!
    But, If I had to pay the €10 from Shannon,(I live nearer to Shannon) I would, no bother. Its about what we need isn't it? :) No stress.

my first experience was a Luton to Knock flight in December 1990 ... it really was just an upgrade of a cowshed then lol - maybe all these tenners they got really did turn it into what it is today ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I don't mind paying it as it jeans not having to go to that feckin ****hole Dublin airport (which isn't too bad on the way out but a nightmare on arrival) but I really think it should be renamed "Charlestown Airport" as it's no where near Knock and only a few miles from Charlestown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,944 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have no problem whatsoever with the ten euro fee. It's pays its way in convenience. You can get savage prices from there to Liverpool and its not even an hour up the road.

It's a nightmare when the wind gets bad though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement