Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your view on Knock Airport charging everyone a tenner to leave it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

I don't mind paying it as it jeans not having to go to that feckin ****hole Dublin airport (which isn't too bad on the way out but a nightmare on arrival) but I really think it should be renamed "Charlestown Airport" as it's no where near Knock and only a few miles from Charlestown.

Its called "Ireland West".

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I don't mind paying it as it jeans not having to go to that feckin ****hole Dublin airport (which isn't too bad on the way out but a nightmare on arrival) but I really think it should be renamed "Charlestown Airport" as it's no where near Knock and only a few miles from Charlestown.

It's technically not called knock airport anymore though. It's ireland West airport. I agree with ya though. It's nowhere near knock!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It's technically not called knock airport anymore though. It's ireland West airport. I agree with ya though. It's nowhere near knock!

But...but..the song? Back in the day? It was about an Airport in Knock :(

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

imagine if they charged you a tenner on arrival as well :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

anna080 wrote: »
    Ireland west airport is a small airport and doesn't receive large government funding like other airports. It has to charge this fee for developmental upkeep.

FYI
    Development = Expansion, future construction, Future improvements.
    Upkeep = Maintenance of what is already there.

Developmental Upkeep = Nonsense reason for a nonsense charge being charged by an airport that doesn't understand the commercial realities of the world in which it exists. If it's an airport charge it should be included in the ticket cost. end of.

I don't know how they are still getting away with it:
    Regulation 1008/2008/EC on air services in the Community requires that the published price for the service shall include the fare and all applicable taxes, charges, surcharges and fees which are unavoidable and foreseeable at the time of publication. In addition, details must be given of the different components of the price (fares, taxes, airport charges and other costs)

http://ec.europa.eu/ireland/the_eu_and_you/faq/air_travel/index_en.htm

• Advertisement

imagine if they charged you a tenner on arrival as well :eek:

Small price to pay :)

I suppose these days they grit/salt the runway but when we came over in December 1990 there was a lot of snow on the way back and the one and only access road to the terminal had not been gritted and we were walking along and some generous sole gave us a lift in his landrover to get to the terminal building from the N17 road - you couldnt have drove a car up there, and the runway wasnt gritted either , was quite a hairy taking off sliding from side to side on the runway, i was thankful when we were actually up in the air! :eek:

I suppose these days they grit/salt the runway but when we came over in December 1990 there was a lot of snow on the way back and the one and only access road to the terminal had not been gritted and we were walking along and some generous sole gave us a lift in his landrover to get to the terminal building from the N17 road - you couldnt have drove a car up there, and the runway wasnt gritted either , was quite a hairy taking off sliding from side to side on the runway, i was thankful when we were actually up in the air! :eek:

1990??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

wtf, i can't believe this, first i heard of it. just checked Ryanair and they mention nothing while i was (fake) booking from Stansted to Knock. so you're walking out the gate and they force you to pay €10?! i'd tell them to fcuk off. it's the unexpected hit, not the money. just charge the airlines extra landing fees like normal.

i'm about 10 minutes from Shannon airport, i sometimes forget how 'privileged' i am lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

wtf, i can't believe this, first i heard of it. just checked Ryanair and they mention nothing while i was (fake) booking from Stansted to Knock. so you're walking out the gate and they force you to pay €10?! i'd tell them to fcuk off. it's the unexpected hit, not the money. just charge the airlines extra landing fees like normal.

i'm about 10 minutes from Shannon airport, i sometimes forget how 'privileged' i am lol

As mentioned above, its departures only I think.

Either way I'd be hitting them up with 1008/2008EC and telling them ever so nicely to jam it. If they insist, report them to the EU commissioner.

They have plenty of alternative ways to collect it (include it in the ticket like every other airport in Europe *the three in the UK excepted), they just want cash in hand.

• Advertisement

Chucken wrote: »
    1990??

yup Christmas 1990 to see the outlaws ... - the good aul' days when they didnt charge you to leave the airport ...

yup Christmas 1990 to see the outlaws ... - the good aul' days when they didnt charge you to leave the airport ...

You've been there since??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Galway Airport use to charge it too. They could have been more up front about it...not sure how Knock warn people. I think it's cool to have a place there for international flights....though those cross winds...surely it's one of the worst possible places they could have picked for an airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

See that's the thing, if they charge the airlines bigger landing fees they pull out and move their service to the other lower priced state funded airports, the ones that aren't self sufficient, that have their massive debts written off. They charge it for survival because it's not a level playing field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I'm about ten minutes from it so always fly from there. The first time I did I was a bit peeved as I was caught unaware but rationally it'd cost a lot more to get to Dublin or Shannon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

See that's the thing, if they charge the airlines bigger landing fees they pull out and move their service to the other lower priced state funded airports, the ones that aren't self sufficient, that have their massive debts written off. They charge it for survival because it's not a level playing field

This 'state funded' line is often trotted out in the context of Knock airport. There are remedies available through the Courts for anti-competitive practices should they truly exist.

Graham wrote: »
    This 'state funded' line is often trotted out in the context of Knock airport. There are remedies available through the Courts for anti-competitive practices should they truly exist.

As easy as that.........
    Don't you think if there was a legal route it would have been pursued

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

As easy as that.........
    Don't you think if there was a legal route it would have been pursued

Exactly. If the airport thought it had a case for illegal state aid or anti-competitive practices, it would have been pursued. Instead it's just trotted out as a smokescreen anytime anyone questions anything about the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Cheaper state funded me hole, more like debt ridden.

Cork doesn't have its debt written off and it's dying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the money is just resting in their account.

• Advertisement

Chucken wrote:
    You've been there since??

Oh yeah, loads of times lol

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Because Knock is so handy from Sligo I guess I dont mind paying it. How many airports can you pull up outside and be waiting on the flight in 10mins. No Queues and free wifi. I dont mind paying it to be honest. Far more expensive and more hastle to drive to Dublin airport.

Look at all the people working in the UK from Sligo who can pop home for the weekend with Knock Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matta Harri

I love Knock airport. You can get a match in the centre of excellence in Ballyhaunis, glow in the dark rosary beads in Knock village and a flight to Portugal all within a few miles of each other.

The parking is good, you get s lovely view of the bog when flying off and I'll be off the plane and home within 45 minutes. Seems to be catching on too, a lot of non West of Ireland accents using it.

Thr tenner is well worth it IMO for the pleasure of not having to deal with Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I also forgot to mention there's a smoking area after check in. It's great to have your last proper bit of breakfast (they do daycent food there too) a quick pint or two and a fag before making your way onto the plane.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I also forgot to mention there's a smoking area after check in. It's great to have your last proper bit of breakfast (they do daycent food there too) a quick pint or two and a fag before making your way onto the plane.

do they ? - wheres the smoking area?

It's over on the left of the boarding gates isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

The 10euro charge is very public knowledge is it not?? I'm surprised so many people were "caught out" by it....:confused:

It's been a few years since I've flown from Knock but is there not something on the website or an email from the airline when you book? I'm sure that there was.

The 10euro charge is very public knowledge is it not?? I'm surprised so many people were "caught out" by it....:confused:

It's been a few years since I've flown from Knock but is there not something on the website or an email from the airline when you book? I'm sure that there was.

Only Ryanair, all other airlines and the airport website display it clear as day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Flew out of there a few months ago, no warning about €10. Refused to pay it, even though I really needed to get the flight. My logic was that they could have charged me €100 and I would have still had to pay it.

Got into a serious argument with a member of staff, was eventually let on at the last minute without paying.

They should charge it through the airlines and not leave a sour taste in some peoples mouths.

Apart from that excellent compact airport, can highly recommend it.

• Advertisement

Red Kev wrote: »
    Flew out of there a few months ago, no warning about €10. Refused to pay it, even though I really needed to get the flight. My logic was that they could have charged me €100 and I would have still had to pay it.

Got into a serious argument with a member of staff, was eventually let on at the last minute without paying.

They should charge it through the airlines and not leave a sour taste in some peoples mouths.

Apart from that excellent compact airport, can highly recommend it.

It's there and it's excellent because those ten euros help keep it there. Pay the feckin' €10 like the rest of us do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement