Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your view on Knock Airport charging everyone a tenner to leave it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Mars Bar wrote: »
    If it was to be paid through the airline and not through the airport, how can we be sure that the airport is getting 100% of the fee?

not our (as passengers) problem - let the airport make sure they are getting 100% what they are owed. We as passengers only have to make sure its a place to go on a plane and pick up people from ....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    It's not extra though. It's separate but not extra. A crucial distinction.

It's an additional compulsory charge of a tenner, that sounds a lot like extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

not our (as passengers) problem - let the airport make sure they are getting 100% what they are owed. We as passengers only have to make sure its a place to go on a plane and pick up people from ....

You know the fee exists, if you have a problem with it go elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Yes, the issue is with Ryanair, they fail to notify of the fee, all others do. I think we're on lap 5 at this stage.

I know, right? Why does this need to be repeated for some posters?

You know the fee exists, if you have a problem with it go elsewhere.

Most of the passengers appear not to know, they are not given the opportunity to decide if flying via Knock is worth the extra €10.

• Advertisement

though more than likely end up getting less money than the way they are robbing (sorry collecting) now! :)

Why are you calling it robbing now when earlier in the thread you asserted:

by the way - i personally dont mind paying the tenner I just wondered what others thought about the charge, or rather them charging for it there smile.png

Your true feelings were of course betrayed in the first post with snide reference to a "cowshed". ;)

i reckon all these ones on here saying "its only a tenner - Pay Up!" must be rich, must have money to burn so they must! ;) - ten euro to them must be like 10cents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Graham wrote: »
    Most of the passengers appear not to know, they are not given the opportunity to decide if flying via Knock is worth the extra €10.

How do you know that?

..... Your true feelings were of course betrayed in the first post with snide reference to a "cowshed". ;)

I have always called it a cowshed, always have, always will .. see it as my own affectionate name for it if you want :)

Anyway the size of it compared to some other International airports says it all!

It's an additional compulsory charge of a tenner, that sounds a lot like extra.

Your whole thing on this thread has been "Why is this cost not bundled like it is everywhere else?". So no, not extra, as you have even acknowledged yourself numerous times on this thread.

Bundled/unbundled = a cost you'd have either way. Not extra. Can't really make it any clearer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

I have always called it a cowshed, always have, always will .. call it an affectionate name for it if you want :)

Is there a pub in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Most? It's common knowledge at this stage. You can't back up that claim

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

jt69er wrote: »
    Fly from somewhere else if you don't like it
    Fair enough if they make it public rather than a surprise on the spur of the moment ;) what if someone didn't have the tenner would they impound them for the night?

Is there a pub in it?

yeah 2 I think - the airport itself most probably doubles up as a farm also ... with animals on it like cows and sheep ....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

i reckon all these ones on here saying "its only a tenner - Pay Up!" must be rich, must have money to burn so they must! ;) - ten euro to them must be like 10cents :)

No, we're not. We'd be paying the tenner going elsewhere any way whether that be on extra fuel or having to use other public transport.
    yeah 2 I think - the airport itself most probably doubles up as a farm also ... with animals on it like cows and sheep ....

Have you been there?

I'd bet ye the tenner it's written somewhere, people just don't bother to read all of the small print.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Your whole thing on this thread has been "Why is this cost not bundled like it is everywhere else?". So no, not extra, as you have even acknowledged yourself numerous times on this thread.

Bundled/unbundled = a cost you'd have either way. Not extra. Can't really make it any clearer.

It would be clearer if it appeared on the original bill at booking time. It doesn't. Why? Because it's a hidden, sneaky extra charge. A shake down.

Most? It's common knowledge at this stage. You can't back up that claim

We have established that the only significant airline does not make its passengers aware of this additional fee. On what basis are you claiming this additional fee is common knowledge amongst passengers to Ireland West Airport?

with animals on it like cows and sheep ....

Thats no way to talk about people from donegal :pac:

It would be clearer if it appeared on the original bill at booking time. It doesn't. Why? Because it's a hidden, sneaky extra charge. A shake down.

OK, here we go again.

Knock Airport informs you on the website, though it could be displayed better than as a moving banner ad.

From my own usage of Knock Airport, I know there are signs everywhere before you even go through to departures advising you of the charge.

Other airlines inform you before you confirm the booking.

Ryanair doesn't for whatever reason.

So for airlines other than Ryanair, it is very clear and you can abort the process if you're not happy.

We need to be questioning why Ryanair doesn't make this clear like other airlines.

OK, here we go again.

Knock Airport informs you on the website, though it could be displayed better than as a moving banner ad.

Other airlines inform you before you confirm the booking.

Ryanair doesn't for whatever reason.

So for airlines other than Ryanair, it is very clear and you can abort the process if you're not happy.

We need to be questioning why Ryanair doesn't make this clear like other airlines.

Finally, you acknowledge that the majority of passengers travelling aren't informed about this fee until they are forced under threat of non-travel to pay upon departure from Knock.

That's a start I suppose.

It would be interesting to know what the official position is from Ireland West Airport knowing that the majority of passengers are unaware of this Airport Development Fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Are they charging €10 too?

once i went and it was a fiver to leave Knock airport ... bloody cheek I thought .. then next time I went it was a tenner! ... I bet the next time I go it will be 15 or 20euro! - bloody scammers! - their departure fee is rising more than the average wages are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

I bet the next time I go it will be 15 or 20euro! - bloody scammers! - their departure fee is rising more than the average wages are!

If it rises to €20 that is the price of the cheap ryanair flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

once i went and it was a fiver to leave Knock airport ... bloody cheek I thought .. then next time I went it was a tenner! ... I bet the next time I go it will be 15 or 20euro! - bloody scammers! - their departure fee is rising more than the average wages are!

Well the next time you are planning on travelling you should check before you book. If the fee is too much then travel from somewhere else.

I would imagine the threat of being left stranded at Knock airport would see most passengers pay up regardless of the rights and wrongs of it. The airport signage certainly suggests you might not be permitted to travel if you don't pay.

Do you know otherwise Fred? Is this additional charge optional?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Finally, you acknowledge that the majority of passengers travelling aren't informed about this fee until they are forced under threat of non-travel to pay upon departure from Knock.

That's a start I suppose.

It would be interesting to know what the official position is from Ireland West Airport knowing that the majority of passengers are unaware of this Airport Development Fee.

No. Ryanair don't inform passengers of the fee. That doesn't mean passengers are unaware of it. I've only ever flown out of Knock on Ryanair and I'm aware of the fee.

most probably get a criminal record these days if you don pay it ... or maybe if you dont pay it these days you dont get to your destination .... safely! :eek:

• Advertisement

Your posts are doing my head in!

78 euro to fly to a destination from Dublin. 53 euro (inclusive of development fee) to fly to same destination from Knock. Yeah, no brainer, all those flying from Knock are rolling it due to the fact that they chose a cheaper option!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement