Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your view on Knock Airport charging everyone a tenner to leave it?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

No. Ryanair don't inform passengers of the fee. That doesn't mean passengers are unaware of it. I've only ever flown out of Knock on Ryanair and I'm aware of the fee.

How did you initially find out about this departure fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Well the next time you are planning on travelling you should check before you book. If the fee is too much then travel from somewhere else.

I says to the mrs "dont forget they charge a fiver to leave the airport, dont get caught out like we did last time when wernt expecting it" - then whatdya know it was a tenner last time we flew , caught out again with the extra 5euro hike! - double whammy!

Your posts are doing my head in!

78 euro to fly to a destination from Dublin. 53 euro (inclusive of development fee) to fly to same destination from Knock. Yeah, no brainer, all those flying from Knock are rolling it due to the fact that they chose a cheaper option!

Congratulations on including the development fee in the overall costs.

You obviously understand why this is useful for direct comparison purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Graham wrote: »

Honestly I couldn't tell you. It's common knowledge around the west. I have heard of it on the news but I knew about it before then.

Had that not happened, i'd have probably seen it on their website anyway as I would have been checking out the lie of the land regarding parking and transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I says to the mrs "dont forget they charge a fiver to leave the airport, dont get caught out like we did last time when wernt expecting it" - then whatdya know it was a tenner last time we flew , caught out again with the extra 5euro hike! - double whammy!

did you check the website before you booked? No? oh...

• Advertisement

i even told my brother about the tenner (well it may have been a fiver then) when he came over to visit us that he would have to pay that on leaving, now whether he forgot or wasnt listening he still had a shocked look on his face when he was greeted with that on departure! - the odd other airports may well charge to leave their airport but it still seems a odd way to run an airport! - he hasnt been back to see us since, dont think it was us so it must be the airport departure charge putting him off! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    OK, here we go again.

Knock Airport informs you on the website, though it could be displayed better than as a moving banner ad.

From my own usage of Knock Airport, I know there are signs everywhere before you even go through to departures advising you of the charge.

Other airlines inform you before you confirm the booking.

Ryanair doesn't for whatever reason.

So for airlines other than Ryanair, it is very clear and you can abort the process if you're not happy.

We need to be questioning why Ryanair doesn't make this clear like other airlines.

They should inform you in the fukking bill. They don't. Why? Because they want to pretend that the cost of flying out of Knock airport is €10 less than it actually is. It's a smoke-and-mirrors con-job that leaves people feeling robbed. It's a sting. It's bad for repeat business. It's bad for word of mouth advertising. It's bad for Knock airport. It's bad for the west of Ireland. It's bad for Ireland in general. It's the sort of thing one would expect from some third world country run by a corrupt, tin-pot dictator.

didnt need to because I knew (or thought I knew about the 5euro charge before) .... but they put it up to 10euro - in any case we fly Ryanair and I dont think they advertise the departure fee on the website (or used to)

They should inform you in the fukking bill. They don't. Why? Because they want to pretend that the cost of flying out of Knock airport is €10 less than it actually is. It's a smoke-and-mirrors con-job that leaves people feeling robbed. It's a sting. It's bad for repeat business. It's bad for word of mouth advertising. It's bad for Knock airport. It's bad for the west of Ireland. It's bad for Ireland in general. It's the sort of thing one would expect from some third world country run by a corrupt, tin-pot dictator.

well said! ;)

By the same logic, I should check the Brennan's website to see if there's a slicing charge after I've ordered a sandwich at the airport cafe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Finally, you acknowledge that the majority of passengers travelling aren't informed about this fee until they are forced under threat of non-travel to pay upon departure from Knock.

I've said that throughout. :confused: Can you actually not read?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I'm against false imprisonment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ryanair send you the bill not Knock Airport. Presumably we are referring to Ryanair here as they are the only airline who don't mention this at booking time.

Presumably with 665k passengers in 2013 and looking to be 700k for 2014 it's not bad for business.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/knock-airport-well-ahead-of-passenger-target-1.1985282

I found out in the airport before entering departures. Ryanair doesn't inform passengers. Knock Airport is I'm sure aware of this. But they heavily rely on Ryanair so are probably not in a position to lean on Ryanair to inform passengers of this charge like they should. Once again, what's the issue here?

They should inform you in the fukking bill. They don't. Why? Because they want to pretend that the cost of flying out of Knock airport is €10 less than it actually is.

Oi vey, once again for the cheap seats. If you are flying with anyone other than Ryanair, you are informed before you book and it will be on the bill. Ryanair don't do this. Why? I don't know.

im going to open up a petrol station - and to refurbish it and keep it running i am gonna charge a tenner for people to leave the station AFTER they have filled up with petrol - but I will put a sign up the till saying they have to pay before thy leave - im sure the people who use my petrol station will be happy with this and happy to do this... or not happy with this but pay anyways :rolleyes:

Congratulations on including the development fee in the overall costs.

You obviously understand why this is useful for direct comparison purposes.

You must have me confused with someone else. I included the fee in the comparison I made earlier too.

Since when did Knock airport start issuing the bills to passengers? It's Ryanair you should be pissed off at.
    i even told my brother about the tenner (well it may have been a fiver then) when he came over to visit us that he would have to pay that on leaving, now whether he forgot or wasnt listening he still had a shocked look on his face when he was greeted with that on departure! - the odd other airports may well charge to leave their airport but it still seems a odd way to run an airport! - he hasnt been back to see us since, dont think it was us so it must be the airport departure charge putting him off! :rolleyes:

Funny that, My 1st cousin hadn't been to Ireland in over 20 years but was here in the summer for his nieces wedding. Was kicking himself that he hadn't come sooner as it was so cheap and he was door to door in 4 hours. Tenner fee didn't bother him either as he is back over for Christmas. Well worth it he thinks as he remembers travelling by car for the best part of a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bertie 56

How funny, no ?

" Who exempt from payment of the Development Fee?
    Ireland West Airport Knock makes the following payment exceptions under the following circumstances:

The core policy is that all departing passengers aged 12 years and over, pay this charge.
    Ireland West Airport Knock recognises its role as a key player in providing air access for pilgrimages to the shrine at Knock and other shrines abroad. As such, the airport takes the position that for pilgrim flights only (Knock, Lourdes, Fatima, Medugorje), invalids and the carer (1) accompanying them will be exempt from the €10 Development Fee service charge, subject to two weeks advance notice of the names of such passengers being furnished in writing by the organiser/tour operator to Ireland West Airport Knock Operations department."

It's bad for repeat business. It's bad for word of mouth advertising. It's bad for Knock airport.

Going by this thread, apparently not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I found out in the airport before entering departures. Ryanair doesn't inform passengers. Knock Airport is I'm sure aware of this. But they heavily rely on Ryanair so are probably not in a position to lean on Ryanair to inform passengers of this charge like they should. Once again, what's the issue here?

That sounds like you're suggesting an airport and airline are colluding to hide this additional/extra charge from the travelling public.

That sounds like you're suggesting an airport and airline are colluding to hide this additional/extra charge from the travelling public.

If that's what you want to take from what I wrote, grand. :)

Anyway, I've said what I wanted to, and repeated it for the slow of reading numerous times. No point going around again for another round. Adios.

I checked out a flight once from Knock and it was €78euro return with ryanair (then there would be the 10eur on top for their so called development fee), and then I checked the price from Dublin to the same destination and it was €19.99 from Dublin airport, so you cannot always get cheap flights from knock

If that's what you want to take from what I wrote, grand. :)

Anyway, I've said what I wanted to, and repeated it for the slow of reading numerous times. No point going around again for another round. Adios.

There's a compulsory thread development fee of €10 before you can leave :D

I checked out a flight once from Knock and it was €78euro return with ryanair (then there would be the 10eur on top for their so called development fee), and then I checked the price from Dublin to the same destination and it was €19.99 from Dublin airport, so you cannot always get cheap flights from knock

So you weigh up what is the cheapest option for you and go with that. Jeez, it isn't ****ing rocket science!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

So you weigh up what is the cheapest option for you and go with that. Jeez, it isn't ****ing rocket science!

But you must take the return flight into consideration too you know.

But you must take the return flight into consideration too you know.

huh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

huh?

As your overall cost of flying i.e the airport you normally fly out of is the same as the one you return. Is that clear cut enough?

but my heart was telling me to support my local airport though... you know the one they built nearby just for the likes of me! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

When i got the call years ago that my poor ol mum was dying in luton I had to use my nearest airport which is knock, because of short notice and got the one last seat left on a ryanair flight it cost me a whopping €250euro one way (plus the €5 euro departure fee!) ....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement