Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your view on Knock Airport charging everyone a tenner to leave it?

Options

Comments

but my heart was telling me to support my local airport though... you know the one they built nearby just for the likes of me! :rolleyes:

There is more than you in the north west, Andy From Sligo. No one is forcing you to use the airport.

Perhaps you should head on down to Strandhill and get a plane from there. Oh wait.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

There is more than you in the north west, Andy From Sligo. No one is forcing you to use the airport.

Perhaps you should head on down to Strandhill and get a plane from there. Oh wait.... :rolleyes:

ahh so thats the key, if Strandhill had charged a departure fee - they would still be running flights today? - now i see how it works! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

When i got the call years ago that my poor ol mum was dying in luton I had to use my nearest airport which is knock, because of short notice and got the one last seat left on a ryanair flight it cost me a whopping €250euro one way (plus the €5 euro departure fee!) ....

Last minute flights are always expensive no matter where you are travelling from. Not sure what point you are trying to make. There's a Ryanair flight leaving Dublin - Stansted tomorrow at 3:30 for €239 one way. Obviously if I needed to take that flight at short notice tomorrow I'd have to cough up the money and pay to get to Dublin. The most expensive flight leaving Knock tomorrow is €186. €196 when development fee is added on.

So I guess go where is the cheapest and most convenient. No one is forcing you to fly from Knock, you can take the 3 hour drive to Dublin Airport from Sligo and pay for your petrol and tolls on top of it or do a 45 minute journey to Knock.

i dont get how these airport infrastructure works here in Ireland anyway, there should be a proper 120km/h motorway with no roundabouts or traffic lights to get from Sligo to Knock Airport and the same thing with getting from Sligo to Dublin airport these days - what happened why have we not got them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Andy you are asking too much now there with motorways in sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Since when did Knock airport start issuing the bills to passengers?

Since they stared charging people ten quid for passing through the airport.

Andy you are asking too much now there with motorways in sligo.

be cool though, very convenient :)

be cool though, very convenient :)

It would indeed but count yourself lucky just living in sligo, imagine living in the sticks of donegal say and travelling then be a bigger problem.

It would indeed but count yourself lucky just living in sligo, imagine living in the sticks of donegal say and travelling then be a bigger problem.

then Donegal people move to sligo - simplez! :)
    God the poor sods that have to travel from Donegal to Sligo general hospital for treatment, that must be a fair old sod of a journey

theres still a lot of flights you cant get anyway out of knock these days anyway, so you still have to travel to Dublin airport or shannon

• Advertisement

I looked up ryanair there and its just luton and stanstead if one needs to go to london, might as well row a currach there.

I looked up ryanair there and its just luton and stanstead if one needs to go to london, might as well row a currach there.

stanstead is in the back of beyond i flew there once from knock to get to luton because there was no direct flight to luton airport (they ceased knock to Luton flights at the time) and it was a nightmare getting from stanstead airport to Luton - mind u on the plus side standstead didnt charge a departure fee to leave it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

stanstead is in the back of beyond i flew there once from knock to get to luton because there was no direct flight to luton airport (they ceased knock to Luton flights at the time) and it was a nightmare getting from stanstead airport to Luton - mind u on the plus side standstead didnt charge a departure fee to leave it! ;)

To be fair, getting into London from Stansted is very easy, the train is quick and not too dear if you book in advance. Its no more difficult to get from Stansted to central London than it is from Heathrow, Gatwick, or Luton.

Not sure why it was a nightmare to get to Luton, Stansted Express to Tottenham Hale, 4 stops on the Victoria line to St Pancras, and train up to Luton, really simple journey :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

I know they do this in Blackpool, in the UK too. Wonder what'd happen if you said you didn't have it? Would you be like Tom Hanks in that film..

They'd tell you to f off and they'd be right....
    €10 to keep an internationally connected airport functioning even throughout a distastrous recession and the amount of whingers banging on about a measly tenner....amazes and infuriates me the amount of times this comes up. If you can't afford the tenner maybe you shouldn't be anywhere near an airport..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There are buses from Stanstead Airport direct to Luton. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So even when the only flight option from knock was to an airport many miles from where you wanted to go and with poor connecting public transport, you still chose to fly from knock instead of anywhere else. It really must have something going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Anybody addressed this yet ?
    Or even mentioned it ?

Breach of EU law anyone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

muddypaws wrote: »
    ...Not sure why it was a nightmare to get to Luton, Stansted Express to Tottenham Hale, 4 stops on the Victoria line to St Pancras, and train up to Luton, really simple journey :confused:

ah right you think that all those interchanges is easy with luggage? - and not long winded? ... and quick? - er OK if u say so.... but have you done it personally?

Dont you have to get another bus to luton after getting the train so that is another change.

• Advertisement

There are buses from Stanstead Airport direct to Luton. :confused:

when i got off plane the next bus to Luton was at least 45 minutes away, I didnt feel like hanging around that time in Stanstead airport so I (foolishly) took the train way which ended up being long winded and time consuming....

Does knock have flights to heathrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Does knock have flights to heathrow?

No..never had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

signostic wrote: »
    No..never had

Gatwick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Is it that hard to have it included in the ticket prices as per EU regulations ?

Surely they don't have that vast a volume of traffic that they cannot set up a credit facility to cover a 30 day trading term remittance with the airlines servicing the airport?

It's not rocket science, and strictly speaking they are operating outside the law (only for Ryanair flights AFICS) but if it feels like a shakedown to passengers then surely it is in the best interests of the airport to sort their sh!t out ?

If the airport is trading that close to being closed down that they are relying on tenners from outbound passengers, then it is only a matter of time before they are in the stink in any case.

mickdw wrote: »
    So even when the only flight option from knock was to an airport many miles from where you wanted to go and with poor connecting public transport, you still chose to fly from knock instead of anywhere else. It really must have something going for it.

had no choice at that time it was the nearest airport for me and I wanted to get to UK as quick as possible without having to go to dublin, so yeah I suppose you can say it was convenient that time, unfortunately at that time there was a hiatus and Ryanair (or knock) werent dong the knock to Luton flights at that time so I had to go Knock to Stanstead... thinking it would be easy and quick to get to Luton from stanstead, but I found out I was wrong! ... - but I have done the Dublin to Luton airport trip before, it was OK, I went to dublin on the train so i didnt have to endure the toll road or the Dublin Airport car park

Gatwick?

yes , Aer Lingus

signostic wrote: »
    yes , Aer Lingus

How much would be the cheapest flight?

• Advertisement

How much would be the cheapest flight?

>>>> aerlingus.ie
    Aer Lingus fares do tend to be higher than Ryanair but their fairs model tends to be same as Ryanair, seats get dearer as the plane fills up and the flight get closer to the depart date..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement