Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your view on Knock Airport charging everyone a tenner to leave it?

Options

Comments

You can get flights for 30 quid (excluding knock fee). Train from Gatwick takes 30 mins to get to Victoria.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Anybody addressed this yet ?
    Or even mentioned it ?

Breach of EU law anyone ?
    The first line says "Is the airline obliged to show the full price of the fare including taxes and charges when I am pricing flights with a view to travelling to an overseas destination?"
    It's not rocket science, and strictly speaking they are operating outside the law (only for Ryanair flights AFICS)
    How have you ended up at this twisted logic? Knock airport does not control Ryanair. If ryanair is operating outside of the law that's got nothing to do with knock airport.

It is the airlines obligation to tell you about the charge. What you're blaming them for is essentially like your neighbour coming in and saying he bought a lawnmower off your other neighbour that broke down and he 's blaming you for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

ScumLord wrote: »
    essentially like your neighbour coming in and saying he bought a lawnmower off your other neighbour that broke down and he 's blaming you for it.

Nothing at all like it unless Ireland West Airport has been sold to Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

The first line says "Is the airline obliged to show the full price of the fare including taxes and charges when I am pricing flights with a view to travelling to an overseas destination?"

How have you ended up at this twisted logic? Knock airport does not control Ryanair. If ryanair is operating outside of the law that's got nothing to do with knock airport.

It is the airlines obligation to tell you about the charge. What you're blaming them for is essentially like your neighbour coming in and saying he bought a lawnmower off your other neighbour that broke down and he 's blaming you for it.

Bit of a poor analogy

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2008:293:0003:0020:EN:PDF
    1. Air fares and air rates available to the general public shall
    include the applicable conditions when offered or published in
    any form, including on the Internet, for air services from an
    airport located in the territory of a Member State to which the
    Treaty applies. The final price to be paid shall at all times be
    indicated and shall include the applicable air fare or air rate as
    well as all applicable taxes, and charges, surcharges and fees
    which are unavoidable and foreseeable at the time of publication.

In addition to the indication of the final price, at least the
    following shall be specified:
    (a) air fare or air rate;
    (b) taxes;
    L 293/14 EN Official Journal of the European Union 31.10.2008
    (c) airport charges; and
    (d) other charges, surcharges or fees, such as those related to
    security or fuel;
    where the items listed under (b), (c) and (d) have been added to
    the air fare or air rate. Optional price supplements shall be
    communicated in a clear, transparent and unambiguous way at
    the start of any booking process and their acceptance by the
    customer shall be on an ‘opt-in’ basis.

2. Without prejudice to Article 16(1), access to air fares and air
    rates for air services from an airport located in the territory of a
    Member State to which the Treaty applies, available to the general
    public shall be granted without any discrimination based on the
    nationality or the place of residence of the customer or on the
    place of establishment of the air carrier's agent or other ticket
    seller within the Community.

As to whether it is Ryanairs duty to have a notice on departures from Knock, it quite possibly is, unless Knock Airport have deliberately refused to allow them to administer the charge and have put some clause about it being subject to change without notice etc. which may make the scale of the airport charge "unforeseeable".
    The whole fcuking rigmarole would be avoided by just bundling the airport charge in with the fare like almost every other airport everywhere, and sorting out the refunds for invalids and helpers at the information desk(with the exception of the few noted) and get on with business.

Also , if the charge is only being applied to departing customers, then I think there exists a prejudice/discrimination against people trying to get out of West of Ireland Airport, no ?

The funniest part is:
    Article 24
    Penalties
    Member States shall ensure compliance with the rules set out in
    this Chapter and shall lay down penalties for infringements
    thereof. Those penalties shall be effective, proportionate and
    dissuasive.

The EU doesn't even need to get involved, nor would they, its up to our own gubberment, and as per usual they are too busy creating new inefficiencies to tackle the old ones.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

as a test i implore people to cease paying the €10 development fee immediately and see if in fact the airport does close down or not ... I bet it wont - if we all stick together and refuse to pay it i reckon they will abolish the charge :) (or put it onto the airline ticket .. or the beer/food in the bar)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

ah right you think that all those interchanges is easy with luggage? - and not long winded? ... and quick? - er OK if u say so.... but have you done it personally?

You really expect us to believe, from all of your posts on here that you flew with Ryanair and you had luggage?

Interchanges? You get on a train, you get off a train, down an escalator onto a tube, you get off the tube, up an escalator and onto a train. Tottenham Hale isn't exactly Picadilly Circus, not a difficult station to move around at all. If you made the right connections, it would take just over an hour.

I haven't done Stansted to Luton, but I have done Stansted to Salisbury, which is further, and has a change on the underground to get to Waterloo, instead of straight off the victoria line, its really not a difficult journey at all. I've also got the train from Salisbury into Waterloo, then up to St Pancras and a train to Luton, and then the airport bus to get a flight. I understand you have family in Luton, but if I was given the choice of flying to Luton or Stansted, it would be Stansted every time.

I've flown into and out of all the London airports (except the city airport), they're all about the same when it comes to getting into town, it all depends on where you want to go in London, or where your travelling onto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shambles771

Just cus it is small and hassle free doesn't mean they get to charge you the tenner for the privilege..

When I flew from Helsinki international airport I was through check in and security in under five minutes in the middle of the day. and the car park was right next to the terminal. they didn't help themselves through my wallet so why should knock? More importantly, why isn't the government or local council paying for funding and development?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Sure they have been charging it for years now, just seems part and parcel of the journey to pay it, no real reason to complain as it is a lovely airport with friendly staff, fly out 15-20 times a year from it and never had one issue and it is so handy when you live in the west.

that basically confirms what I've been saying.

As to whether it is Ryanairs duty to have a notice on departures from Knock, it quite possibly is,
    It is, of course it is, because your buying your ticket of Ryanair so it's up to them to pass on the information. The only way Knock airport could actively give you the information is if they had a psychic link with you so they knew when you were going to buy a ticket. Then they could hack in Ryanairs website and plant a page warning you about the charge.

You're just determined beyond all reason to attack knock airport. I get you don't like the charge but it's there, most people don't mind and if you don't like it there are plenty of other airports in the country.

There's nothing illegal or unique about knocks charge, it's done in places all over the world where a small airports couldn't live on the breadcrumbs that budget airlines give like to pay out.

There's nothing illegal or unique about knocks charge, it's done in places all over the world where a small airports couldn't live on the breadcrumbs that budget airlines give like to pay out.

It's probably just a coincidence that keeping this additional charge hidden works in Knocks favour.

Heaven forbid that the airport put pressure on the airlines to sell tickets in accordance with EU legislation. I guess that's what happens when you've got all of your eggs in a basket that belongs to someone else.

• Advertisement

It appears the good folk of Mayo have been volunteered to pay for the next few years worth of departure fees in advance:

Mayo County Council will borrow €7.3 million to pay off a large portion of IWAK’s debt in return for a 17.5 percent stake of the airport another €1.7 million is to be repaid by the Western Development Commission.

Graham wrote: »
    It's probably just a coincidence that keeping this additional charge hidden works in Knocks favour.
    They don't hide the charge, it's on their website and they tell the airlines to tell their passengers about the charge. Most do, bar one. What more do you expect them to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

It appears the good folk of Mayo have been volunteered to pay for the next few years worth of departure fees in advance:

Mayo County Council will borrow €7.3 million to pay off a large portion of IWAK’s debt in return for a 17.5 percent stake of the airport another €1.7 million is to be repaid by the Western Development Commission.

MCC`s first meeting at the airport didn`t go to well....although it was not the subject of the airport that caused the uproar.

http://www.independent.ie/tablet/news/mayo-council-in-disarray-as-ceo-is-accused-of-telling-lies-30811961.html

so amateurish and unprofessional though robbing people from a tenner just before they get on a flight, yeah right, lovely friendly airport that is - as i said before put a big box in the terminal somewhere and a sign above "thank you for your Donation - it goes towards running and development of this airport" then leave it up to the passengers whether they want to donate or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

so amateurish and unprofessional though robbing people from a tenner just before they get on a flight, yeah right, lovely friendly airport that is - as i said before put a big box in the terminal somewhere and a sign above "thank you for your Donation - it goes towards running and development of this airport" then leave it up to the passengers whether they want to donate or not

You'd be back here posting about how it was amateur and unprofessional to let the place close and not take action

You'd be back here posting about how it was amateur and unprofessional to let the place close and not take action

so you think if it was left to people donating then they wouldnt get enough and have to close then?

so you think if it was left to people donating then they wouldnt get enough and have to close then?

Yes. They are not Shannon, they cannot get their debts written off, they have to remain competitive

Yes. They are not Shannon, they cannot get their debts written off, they have to remain competitive

Apart from the €7.3 million and €1.7 million of debt that just vanished.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Pretty sure I had to pay a fee in Bangkok and that's a big ass airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Fantastic airport to use. Great for the west of Ireland. If paying a tenner means it stays open then so be it. Obviously some people will give out about anything.

• Advertisement

Apart from the €7.3 million and €1.7 million of debt that just vanished.

Vanished? The debts are being paid. It's in return for 17.5% stake. A good business deal for the airport going forward. Seems you really do have an axe to grind when it comes to IWAK.

ollkiller wrote: »
    Fantastic airport to use. Great for the west of Ireland. If paying a tenner means it stays open then so be it. Obviously some people will give out about anything.

If the airport and its airline partners were upfront about the tenner, passengers could decide for themselves whether it's worth paying the exta cost to travel via Knock.
    Vanished? It's in return for 17.5% stake. A good business deal for the airport going forward. Seems you really do have an axe to grind when it comes to IWAK..

Nice selective recall. That post was in response to your 'Shannon gets its debt written off' post. Just like Knock airport getting its debt purchased by Mayo CoCo.

Now Knock airport have received local government funding, I wonder if we can expect to see the end of the hidden departure fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

It's a very relaxing airport unlike every other airport in the world.

Koh Samui ,Thailand wins the title of the most relaxing Airport in the World that i have flown through .

http://www.samuiairportonline.com/images/samui12.jpg

Nice selective recall. That post was in response to your 'Shannon gets its debt written off' post. Just like Knock airport getting its debt purchased by Mayo CoCo.

Now Knock airport have received local government funding, I wonder if we can expect to see the end of the hidden departure fees.

It's an investment by MCC for 17.5% stake. It's a great move for the airport, that hopefully makes it a level playing field.
    You've not explained why you've a vendetta against IWAK, what is your axe? Do you not see it as a valuable amenity to the area? Do you not want to see it survive

It's an investment by MCC for 17.5% stake. It's a great move for the airport, that hopefully makes it a level playing field.
    You've not explained why you've a vendetta against IWAK, what is your axe? Do you not see it as a valuable amenity to the area? Do you not want to see it survive

Please try not to personalise this. The only thing I have taken issue with is the insidious departure fee that the airport continue to sneak upon the majority of its passengers. This is quite easily to resolve, Ireland West Airport Knock should either stop charging it or insist the airlines inform their customers of this fee at the time of booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Most? It's common knowledge at this stage. You can't back up that claim
    It most certainly is not common knowledge.
    Since when did Knock airport start issuing the bills to passengers?

What an incredibly strange thing to say in a thread about Knock airport charging passengers.

This is quite easily to resolve, Ireland West Airport Knock should either stop charging it or insist the airlines inform their customers of this fee at the time of booking.
    As you keep being told the airline does inform people and airlines, most airlines pass on this information except for one it seems. You know it's only ryanair that doesn't pass on the information but continue to blame knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

As you keep being told the airline does inform people and airlines, most airlines pass on this information except for one it seems. You know it's only ryanair that doesn't pass on the information but continue to blame knock.

Only Ryanair? Out of curiosity, i just did a quick booking with Aer Lingus who also neglect to mention the issue.

Only Ryanair? Out of curiosity, i just did a quick booking with Aer Lingus who also neglect to mention the issue.
    No they don't, after you select the dates of the flights the first thing on the next page is a warning about the fee.

• Advertisement

No they don't, after you select the dates of the flights the first thing on the next page is a warning about the fee.

Do you think it's ok for an Airport to spring a last minute charge on passengers even though it is aware that the majority of passengers have not been informed of this charge in advance?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement