Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Christmas Market

• 04-12-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

Did anyone go to the Lidl christmas market in the Hunt Museum tonight? Whats the verdict? Worth going?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I went, and it's pretty nice to wander around for about 10 - 15 minutes. Nothing too exciting, but nice all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Wow!!

That is a fairly contemptible position the Mayor has taken!!

The Hunt Museum is one of the greatest assets in the city and he's just gone and undermined it because his close friend, David O'Brien, got a bee in his bonnet that another (very small and ultimately insignificant) market set up for a few days. Mayor Sheahan's role is largely ceremonial and he should be representing the positive face of the city rather than batting for sectional business interests.

The Hunt Museum have every right to be livid about the Mayor's remarks, and he should apologise for them. I would have counted Michael Sheahan as a cut above the likes of the infamous Jim Long, but from this evidence perhaps he's not.

The Chamber of Commerce should also call him to task for this kind of stuff. If he's going to take such a partisan position vis à vis the interests of The Milk Market, the other businesses in the city are likely to come into his firing line.

Very poor form indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I went into town especially to support the Lidl Christmas (with them supporting Barratstown).
    This meant that I also spent money in the Hunt museum, various shops around town.
    As for the artisan markets that were supposedly on, I saw a couple of stalls - the usual rubbish to be honest. I walked through the milk market on my way. all that was in there was the records stalls really. Nothing to make me stop and spend more money.

In essence the Lidl market got me into town and made me spend money in town. I think that can only be a good thing.
    Sick to death of this petulant whining that is going on with Limerick lately. Any where in limerick that we spend money is providing jobs to Limerick people, regardless of where the profits are going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm sorry I missed the LIDL market. I had planned to visit it tonight or tomorrow and my sister mentioned it was finished up at this stage. Galway does a wonderful, if overpriced, Christmas market in Eyre Square for a few weeks in the run up to Christmas. Limerick is a bigger city so it is well capable of hosting two markets. In any case, the LIDL market was only open for a weekend. I haven't been over to the Milk Market yet but the Mayor's comments reflect badly on that market While we all know the markets are there to make money and if you'd visited the Galway market you certainly were sure of that, stupid statements and nitpicking over a weekend pop up market really make me think twice about going near the Milk Market now. If they're so petty over a pop up market stealing their thunder then they can just bloody keep it. I'd dump the money in the Shannon before I'd hand any of it over to them if that's how they feel about a small bit of competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

squonk wrote: »
    I'm sorry I missed the LIDL market. I had planned to visit it tonight or tomorrow and my sister mentioned it was finished up at this stage. Galway does a wonderful, if overpriced, Christmas market in Eyre Square for a few weeks in the run up to Christmas. Limerick is a bigger city so it is well capable of hosting two markets. In any case, the LIDL market was only open for a weekend.
    Ideally, visit the Lidl market in Galway - you get the lidl prices for hotdogs, burgers, sweets and things, and you get the atmosphere of the larger overpriced market. Masse of Paulaner and bobs yer uncle.
    I was at the Lidl market in Galway and Limerick. I think it was lucky to to have the bigger market to piggyback on in Galway. I think it was lacking a bit of "wonder" in Limerick. Maybe it was just too small. Maybe it's because you know you can just swing by their local store tomorrow and buy the stuff anyway. They have good tasty stuff in fairness and the people in the stalls do their best. Handy way to try before you buy at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Even Waterford has a bigger xmas thing going on than Limerick :-(

http://www.winterval.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Lidl makert we lasted 5min or less it was not worth the walk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

The Lidl market was a load of shíte, I don't know why I thought it would be any better but when the weather cleared a bit on Sunday we took the kids in just to get out of the house. Ifi t hadn't been for the 5 minute wait and few minutes they spent on the carousel we would have been there about three minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I thought it was all right. Not worth a special trip into town for but €2 for the carousel (with parents not charged to go on with a younger child) was great value. I spent €6 on one short ride on the carousel at the Halloween market because my toddler can't go on alone. At the Lidl market we took the little guy on it a couple of times and I'd have done it a few more times if the weather wasn't awful. We spent some money at the market but we spent way more on a meal in town later, so yeah, that hurt city trade really badly. Although we ate in Mejana so made the Mayor will be worried that our money went to the Lebanon instead of a local. :rolleyes:

Advertisement