Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane wins MLS 2014 MVP Award

• 05-12-2014 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I have never been a huge keane fan but i have to respect his scoring record for ireland and delighted to see him do great in the states
    Opinions?
    Is ir an accolade worrh celebrating as irish fans ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Are you drunk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

DazMarz wrote: »
    Are you drunk?

I am actually ,
    but given the US's performance at the world cup i think mls is at an almost decent level :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Everything revolves around him for LA Galaxy. The crowd feckin' love him! I saw him score 2 against Portland Timbers and he had a goal wrongly disallowed against San Jose in extra time which would have seen LA win 3-2. It was a fantastic take in the box. Couldn't believe Alan Kelly ruled it out.

He wasn't so impressive against Manchester United but the whole team was atrocious that night.

I really hope the Galaxy win the MLS Cup at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Great for him and hope he keeps scoring especially for Ireland

But from EPL to MLS must be a drop in class

Great for him and hope he keeps scoring especially for Ireland

It's not as fast but it's still decent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ryan Guy went from LOI to playing 2 years in MLS.

Im sure its deadly if you retiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The thing you really notice in players coming over is the difference in speed of thought. There are plenty of athletes in the league, rampaging around the place, but Robbie's speed of thought always has him in the right place at the right time, or playing the decisive through ball first time.

It's something we perhaps don't quite appreciate in premier league players as they all have it to some degree, but when they move to a league like the MLS it really stands out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Delighted for Robbie Keane. An Irish legend, we will never see a goalscorer like him again in any of our lifetimes. I know he is far from at his best but just watched a video of all his 20 goals this season and the man is still such a clever goalscorer, as Rebel said above you really notice how good he is when playing in a weaker league. I don't know how long we will see him play on but when he retires he really will be missed, if I could pick one player to have their career re-start all over again in an Irish shirt I would 100% pick Robbie.

Link to the video if anyone wants to watch, some great goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Really don't get the Keane haters.

His stats speak for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

yeah it is an accolade...fair play to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Was researching him earlier to arm my self for the pub debate at the weekend and found three interesting bits of trivia about him:

1. He is the first European to win the award (take that Thierry and Becks)

2. He holds the European qualifier record for quickest ever hat-trick, and all-time top scorer.

3. He is a nephew of Morrissey

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I'm an MLS fan and find it very competitive, but the fact that he has so much success there at his age really is an indication of the quality of the league IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Poor old Robbie, his biggest problem was his place of birth.

He's just a scobie from Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

His record for Ireland is undeniable. Was a top goalscorer in his day.

Now he is a top goalscorer in a poor league.

If he was playing in the EPL or any other major league I'd say he'd struggle to get many goals, but then again he is old now so I wouldn't expect him to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

He's come a long way from being an "unidentified fan" :pac:
    David%20Beckham%20and%20actor%20Russell%20Brand%20pose%20for%20a%20photo%20with%20unidentified%20fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

He's come a long way from being an "unidentified fan" :pac:
    David%20Beckham%20and%20actor%20Russell%20Brand%20pose%20for%20a%20photo%20with%20unidentified%20fans

That picture was brilliant, can anyone find it again and post it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

I was listening to second captains pod last night and one of them said he's had over 30 assists for them too, don't think I can ever remember him setting up a goal this side of the pond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I think he would still get 10 goals in the premier league over a season if he was here which is a decent return. He did well at Villa that time he went on loan and besides the MLS isnt as bad as people make out.

Ireland Legend, we should be proud to have him, if he played for any other country they would have a statue of him but here a good chunk like to belittle his achievements and slag him off, the great irish mentality...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Charlie19 wrote: »

Would you gway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Absolute legend, some tasty goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Some of the goals he's scored over there this season have been incredible. I think the MLS is a mixed bag and will have players of Premiership - League One standard on the pitch all together at any one time, but he's obviously destroying it. He could go another four years there tbh which would mean he could be a handy squad option for Ireland to wheel off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I can see why Robbie is enjoying himself, great weather, a rock star lifestyle, hanging with celebrities, and lots of easy goals; but let's not kid ourselves here, the quality at MLS IS rubbish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Cleaned up the topic title for you so people know what's happening :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Were he to have been born in dublin 4 he would probably be an unheard of accountant or IT support analyst by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

"The King".

garra wrote: »
    Were he to have been born in dublin 4 he would probably be an unheard of accountant or IT support analyst by now

It was a boyhood dream of his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

It was a boyhood dream of his.

So his dream is as old as your joke?

So his dream is as old as your joke?

Cheer up, its Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Keane is 34 years old and tearing it up in the MLS and achieved something unique for an Irishman and a European Player. Fair play to him but this is an Irish forum and alot of people cant help but dismiss,downplay or ridicule achievements

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Just goes to show how poor the MLS is.

My grandmother is a better footballer than Robbie Keane - and she's been dead ten years.

Dayum wrote: »
    Just goes to show how poor the MLS is.

My grandmother is a better footballer than Robbie Keane - and she's been dead ten years.

I hate this emoticon but sometimes it's the only suitable one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

You can't fault Robbie Keane ...In his prime he banged in goals for Spurs in the PREMIERSHIP .....and now that he's older he went to MLS where he's still banging in goals not to mention he has done the business for Ireland his whole career like it or not it'll be a long time before we get someone close to him in the green jersey again

I was in Lansdowne road when Niall Quinn broke Stapletons record when he scored against Cyprus and to think that Keane has now trebled that is just crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Another thinly veiled lets bash Keane thread - drop him at your peril, as O'Neill found out against Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Ireland legend, Spurs great and now best player in MLS. Well done Robbie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

ebbsy wrote: »
    Another thinly veiled lets bash Keane thread - drop him at your peril, as O'Neill found out against Scotland.

No it wasnt started as a keane bashing thread . I heard it on the news , thought it was an achievement, and sought opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I was in Lansdowne road when Niall Quinn broke Stapletons record when he scored against Cyprus and to think that Keane has now trebled that is just crazy.

The mad thing is a lot if idiots would consider Stapleton and Quinn bigger legends than Robbie.

And the MLS is a better standard than Scotland so if Robbie was player of the year up there foe Celtic a lot of people would be singing a different tune.

He's an absolute Irish legend

tastyt wrote: »
    The mad thing is a lot if idiots would consider Stapleton and Quinn bigger legends than Robbie.

And the MLS is a better standard than Scotland so if Robbie was player of the year up there foe Celtic a lot of people would be singing a different tune.

He's an absolute Irish legend

Robbie was player of the year for Celtic and no the MLS isn't a better standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

To be player of the year in whatever league your playing in over the course of a whole season is a big achievement, and it's one that Robbie should receive plaudits for. Nobody's pretending that the MLS is of the same standard as the EPL, but it's not League 2 standard either, there are some pretty decent players there. So even if he's in the twilight of his career, he's still had to do it week in week out against players who are younger and fitter than him, and some of them will be at least of comparable quality, if not more technically gifted than him. He's not Messi or Ronaldo, and nobody would pretend that he was close that sort of level even at his peak, but he's been an incredible asset to the national team for years and it's great to see him get some personal recognition for his efforts.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Robbie was player of the year for Celtic and no the MLS isn't a better standard.

I think Henry, Beckham, Robbie, Donovan , Defoe, and soon david villa and lampard are players of a much higher standard than Scotland

• Advertisement

I think Henry, Beckham, Robbie, Donovan , Defoe, and soon david villa and lampard are players of a much higher standard than Scotland

5 past their peak players as marquees don't make a league a better standard.

Good man Keane. Irish legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The man's stats speak for themselves. His body may not be up to the rigours of the game as it once was, but his footballing brain makes up for that; he can read the game and be in the right place at the right time and put the ball in the net.

He's still banging the goals in for Ireland when needed, and that is an area in which the national team will have a huge deficiency when Robbie finally does decide to hang up his boots.

I remember when I was about 13 or so, the Ireland squad were training in the Carlisle Grounds in Bray (this was just before the 2002 World Cup qualifiers). The school was just around the corner and as we had a sound principal, he let us go around and watch them train. Amongst the rake of autographs I picked up that day, one of them was Robbie's. It's framed and holds pride of place in my parents' house to this day.

So many special moments watching Ireland have been because of Robbie Keane. The one that will always stand out for me was when I was 13 (again). Ireland's second game in the 2002 World Cup against Germany. Enough said.

A man for whom there will never be a repeat in an Ireland jersey. 65 goals for Ireland in 138 appearances. Incredible. 668 professional appearances in his career and he has netted 281 goals. Again, incredible.

For sure, he gets criticised at times. But the fact that he is still ripping defences apart (albeit not at the highest level) is a testament to the fact that the man was born to play football and is still an absolute legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Just a pity about the other 10 players at most of the teams. I'm hardly a fan of Scottish football but it has a better overall player than the MLS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Delighted for him . You can say what you want about the man but he is gonna be sorely missed when he leaves the Ireland team for good .

Corholio wrote: »
    Just a pity about the other 10 players at most of the teams. I'm hardly a fan of Scottish football but it has a better overall player than the MLS.

Ya maybe your right, I just don't think there is a lot in it and the MLS has the potential to overtake it pretty soon. Heard last week it's the second most watched sport on American tv now behind NFL.

It's passed out basketball and baseball which is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Ya maybe your right, I just don't think there is a lot in it and the MLS has the potential to overtake it pretty soon. Heard last week it's the second most watched sport on American tv now behind NFL.

It's passed out basketball and baseball which is huge.

Has it? That's class if true, getting more and more believable given the latin american immigration to the US. Could have an American Messi or Ronaldo on our hands soon enough!

I don't think people are begrudging this achievement, just think it pales in comparison to some of his others, such as WC 2002, his years at Spurs etc.

He has scored what is likely to be the winner in the MLS Cup in "overtime"!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    He has scored what is likely to be the winner in the MLS Cup in "overtime"!

Not good enough!

I'll be donning my Galaxy jersey in pride tomorrow!

• Advertisement
Advertisement