Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaa juvenile transfer

• 05-12-2014 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭

Alright lads. So here's my tale, I'm 16 years of age from Limerick. I didn't register for my club in January 2013 for the oncoming season due to the fact that my club were no longer playing 15-A-Side and were eventually going to give Football the boot. I applied for a transfer to another club but the club delayed it by signing the transfer form on the wrong place so my form wouldn't go through in time. I was then told that to transfer I would have to take the season off and try again the following season which I did. This moves onto January 2014 where my brother enquired to GAA people about transferring to which they replied "Unless he's had a big falling out with the club or has moved house then you're wasting your time sending in that forum." So instead I got a wish to play 15-A-Side football with another parish as my club had only an 11-A-Side hurling team and no football team. This brings me up to the present day. So I'm wondering will I be able to transfer next January? Does anyone know the official rules? I have not played for my original club since October 2012. So if you know anything let me know and I hope that story entertained you :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

If you haven't played for one full season then you are entitled to just move to the new club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

a transfer within a county is dealt with by the counties own rules but these dont seem to be published online for any county.
    Places like Kerry are fierce strict on the Parish rule but other places are more vague and have catchment areas, or like Kildare where theres seemingly no geographical rule at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

a transfer within a county is dealt with by the counties own rules but these dont seem to be published online for any county.
    Places like Kerry are fierce strict on the Parish rule but other places are more vague and have catchment areas, or like Kildare where theres seemingly no geographical rule at all.

same with Westmeath. No parish rule.
    Go over the border into Longford and they're fanatical about their parish rule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

No stand down rule in gaa as far as I know so not playing for a calender year wont help your cause op. Unless you've moved from your address into another parish you're at the mercy of your gaa club. Common sense should prevail since it'll be 2 years since you've played but some dinosaur's dont have common sense. Does your current club not field a team for your age club ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

No stand down rule in gaa as far as I know so not playing for a calender year wont help your cause op. Unless you've moved from your address into another parish you're at the mercy of your gaa club. Common sense should prevail since it'll be 2 years since you've played but some dinosaur's dont have common sense. Does your current club not field a team for your age club ?

This year they fielded an under 16 11 a side hurling team but no football. The lack of numbers is due to me and others walking away from the club.

• Advertisement

If it means your club cannot field a team as a result of yourself and your friends deciding to go to another club then its a tough one. County boards dont want to see clubs going out of existance, more than likely they'll side with your club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    same with Westmeath. No parish rule.
    Go over the border into Longford and they're fanatical about their parish rule

Not so sure about Longford and parish rules. Fairly loose over the years, 1 club i particular that I could name would struggle to field a team if they never brought in any outside players, but they wouldn't be the only one.

If it means your club cannot field a team as a result of yourself and your friends deciding to go to another club then its a tough one. County boards dont want to see clubs going out of existance, more than likely they'll side with your club

We only fielded a 13 a side team when the other lads that left and I were playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

I think you should play with your local club. I think it would be wrong to allow you to transfer to another club. The GAA has its roots in local communities and this has stood the organisation well. My own club and county has suffered in the past with poaching from stronger counties and its a bitter pill to swallow. I'm not suggesting you were poached by any means. If players are allowed to move to whatever club they like just because their own club are struggling with numbers would only serve to make the problem worse. The county board should make a concession to allow you to play football with another club only if your own club can't or won't field a team. This has worked well in my county.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

AG the parish rule applies in Limerick so to transfer permanently you would need to either live in the new parish or your family lived there when you were born or they were your first club. From your post it seems you probably do not fall into any of these categories. Therefore if your old club object your transfer will not go through. You JS can however play 15 a side football with another club if as you say your club does not field a 15 a side team at your age group.

• Advertisement

AG the parish rule applies in Limerick so to transfer permanently you would need to either live in the new parish or your family lived there when you were born or they were your first club. From your post it seems you probably do not fall into any of these categories. Therefore if your old club object your transfer will not go through. You JS can however play 15 a side football with another club if as you say your club does not field a 15 a side team at your age group. This would be on a "permission to play" basis.

AG just be cautious about how much information you put out on a public forum like this that could identify yourself.
    You say you are 16 now so I presume you will be in minor grade in 2015.
    The situation is that if your old club enters a team in minor football at any grade 11, 13 or 15 a side you cannot transfer.
    If they do not then you are more or less a free agent although there could be some restrictions about having to join a neighbouring club.

As I wrote above if they enter 11 or 13 a side you can continue your permission to play arrangement that you had last year.

It sounds very unlikely that the old club can enter a 15 a side team so either way you should be able to play football again with the club you were with last year.
    How did that go and were there other players from your old club with them?

Yeah two other lads came over with me but they were still playing with the original club as well.

No great problem so.
    Just keep going as you are with the new club. No need to transfer.

Not to drag this off topic but what if the other club was in the same parish, would the transfer go through without any hitches

Not to drag this off topic but what if the other club was in the same parish, would the transfer go through without any hitches

That would be an ecumenical matter.

Cu Baire wrote: »
    That would be an ecumenical matter.

That clears it up completey Len :-)

Cu Baire wrote: »
    No great problem so.
    Just keep going as you are with the new club. No need to transfer.

I know but my hatred for my club and the fact that I'd like to be apart of one club without the hassle of going from one club to another means that I'd like to transfer, this probably isn't possible but "C'est La Vie" as we say in the French part of Limerick haha ;)

Advertisement