Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Rear brake sticking

• 05-12-2014 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

My 08 sv650s seemed to be riding a bit weird this morning heading to work, I use the rear brake quite a lot when going slow, and with a chockablocked m50 filtering through traffic I end up slowing down a lot.

Heading from work into town I realised the rear brake was sticking, the lever was staying down and I could lift it back up with my toe. Not all the time though.

Before setting off home I tested it out on the pavement, in neutral, pressed the rear brake, pedal stayed down, couldn't move the bike, lifted it with my toe and the bike rolled freely. So I drove home without using it.

I'm going to check the fluid level in the morning, and have a look at the lever/spring for a build up of dirt or something but I'm not hands on at all so will take it to a garage.

Just want to know if ye reckon it's safe to ride it to work tomo and try get to a garage in the evening? I'm off to bed for now!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

M450 wrote: »
    My 08 sv650s seemed to be riding a bit weird this morning heading to work, I use the rear brake quite a lot when going slow, and with a chockablocked m50 filtering through traffic I end up slowing down a lot.

Heading from work into town I realised the rear brake was sticking, the lever was staying down and I could lift it back up with my toe. Not all the time though.

Before setting off home I tested it out on the pavement, in neutral, pressed the rear brake, pedal stayed down, couldn't move the bike, lifted it with my toe and the bike rolled freely. So I drove home without using it.

I'm going to check the fluid level in the morning, and have a look at the lever/spring for a build up of dirt or something but I'm not hands on at all so will take it to a garage.

Just want to know if ye reckon it's safe to ride it to work tomo and try get to a garage in the evening? I'm off to bed for now!
    Could be a sticking master cylinder or simply lack of lube at the pivot point of the pedal.
    Try giving it a blast of GT85 and working it well. If it free's up then you probably should strip it and grease it.
    If it doesn't your master cylinder is probably sticking and needs to be stripped and cleaned or a seal kit put into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Brought it to a garage this morning, had plenty of coolant but couldn't see the level, the diaphragm was a bit messed up, might need a new one. So the pivot point was dry, lubed it up and the lever is returning now, springs were grand. Also had to adjust the brake light switch spring as it wasn't activating. All dandy, and I learned so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

M450 wrote: »
    Brought it to a garage this morning, had plenty of coolant

That'd be your problem.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

bladespin wrote: »
    That'd be your problem.
    Hahaha whoops

Advertisement