Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the Air (soon)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

watty wrote: »

Only to enter to win
    . Anyone can take part and give points if they follow the rules.

are you saying that from experience or belief?

http://www.irts.ie/cgi/showrules.cgi?gen

Rule 3.4 states - Operators of stations located within the Republic of Ireland must be paid up members of the IRTS.

In my mind it is pretty clear and there is no ambiguity about it, but I would love to be wrong on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

Lads where does it say that he is a noob? I think he was congratulating the new ops and stating that he will be back on air for the contest. So he may be a paid up member...

thelordgod wrote: »
    Lads where does it say that he is a noob? I think he was congratulating the new ops and stating that he will be back on air for the contest. So he may be a paid up member...

no one is calling anyone a noob, IRTS membership is an annual thing, even if he's an experienced OP, if he's just getting back, there's a good chance he's membership has expired... I din't intend to make feel anyone bad or anything, just pre-empting nasty surprises

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

martinsvi wrote: »

Rule 3.4 states - Operators of stations located within the Republic of Ireland must be paid up members of the IRTS.

In my mind it is pretty clear and there is no ambiguity about it, but I would love to be wrong on this one

You are wrong. 3.4 only applies to Entries, not taking part!
    3.5 Entries in breach of rule 3.4 will be treated as check logs, will not be scored, and will not be eligible for any award.

Also experience.

They are happy to receive "check logs" from non-members. Though most non-members wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

thelordgod wrote: »
    .... congratulating the new ops and stating that he will be back on air ...

I have been a member. It's too expensive for my budget. I rarely bother with competitions, but obviously some people like them. Membership is required for an official entry. It's not for taking part.

I do mean to get back on air, but not for Competition specifically. Bit of a demo to the Grand Children. Original Call Sign was 1972!

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    You are wrong.

that's good to know, I always assumed they are not interested in non-member check logs.. I might give it a try then this year, should be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

have you enrolled with IRTS? you have to be a paid-up member of IRTS to participate in that

I'm a paid up member of IRTS for 20 years, however when my renewal is due next February I have decided not to renew, (for reasons I'd rather not disclose on here).

I enter contests (usually 10 to 20 per year) to improve my operating & key board skills, and if my points are of benefit to any one else, all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

That's a badly written rule I would say. It should read," Entries from operators of stations located within the Republic of Ireland must be paid up members of the IRTS "
    All licenced operators may participate in any contest and give points.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    That's a badly written rule I would say. It should read," Entries from operators of stations located within the Republic of Ireland must be paid up members of the IRTS "
    All licenced operators may participate in any contest and give points.

Anyone can go on the air, make QSO's and give away points.
    It when you want to be considered as a possible competition entrant that the membership requirement comes into play.

I could be wrong but I think that rule caused some heated (!) discussions about who was/was-not a member of the society one year.
    The AGM was a little bit tense that year :)

Advertisement