Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orion Spacecraft Launching Right Now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Alternative stream if that one isnt working, might be better to watch this one:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#.VIGdqme6jqM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Have feminists had a chance to approve the attire of all those involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

5 minutes, looking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Aah, there it goes! Probably another Hollywood style fake. Good CGA though. Very realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Go on ya good thing?

It looks like flying crayons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Seems to be going well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Don Kedick

I don't want to go to mars.

14'000 miles an hour !!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Don Kedick

Is watching this thing like when you were a kid and you had coke bottle races down the river. You kept following to see who'd win and encourage it as it avoids obsticles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Ah there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still being quite, writing down numbers and paying attention. Yes science has it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The first step to getting our asses to Mars.

I bloody hope I'm still alive in 20 years to see that lucky person put the first step down on it's surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Sending humans to Mars would be a huge waste of resources - we have perfectly capable rover technology out there that costs a fraction of the price.

To Europa.
    Europa is thought to have twice as much water as does Earth. This moon intrigues astrobiologists because of its potential for having a "habitable zone." Life forms have been found thriving near subterranean volcanoes on Earth and in other extreme locations that may be analogues to what may exist on Europa.

nasa.gov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Sending humans to Mars would be a huge waste of resources - we have perfectly capable rover technology out there that cost a fraction of the price.

To Europa.

Oh man, wonder if we'll ever know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Sending humans to Mars would be a huge waste of resources
    Depends who they send.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Sending humans to Mars would be a huge waste of resources - we have perfectly capable rover technology out there that costs a fraction of the price.

To Europa.
    Sinn Fein and UKIP riding high in the polls, I'd say there'll be a fair amount of Europaskepticism out there.

I'm a Europtimist myself. Wouldn't it be incredibly exciting if we were able to send a probe to Europa to drill down through the ice to take a look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I would love to know if there's life on Europa. Unfortunately I don't think it'll happen in my lifetime :(

I think a big problem is the threat of forward contamination before we send a probe to Europa we need to be absolutely certain there's no terrestrial life anywhere on it.

Otherwise we risk destroying the first extra terrestrial ecosystem we come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Otherwise we risk destroying the first extra terrestrial ecosystem we come across.

So what? I say we nuke the entire site from orbit.

Trine wrote: »

Not so fast; we'd have to mine the shít out of it first, surely!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Trine wrote: »
    Humanity, Fúck Yeah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

catallus wrote: »
    Not so fast; we'd have to mine the shít out of it first, surely!?

and hunt any life for sport.

Footage here of the Orion capsule bombing it through the sky and parachuting to splashdown a few hundred miles off the Coast of California in the Pacific.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This is a pretty important test flight. Orion will take humans out of low Earth orbit for the first time in over 40 years. Back to the Moon and perhaps on to Mars.

And now for something completely unrelated to Christmas (except that NASA released this video today).

Advertisement