Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 4 Series Coupe Vs 3 Series Coupe

• 05-12-2014 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if the new BMW 4 Series Coupe is worth around €50,000 when you can get a 3 Series Coupe that's a 2 or 3 years old for around half the price?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

SuperBlu26 wrote: »
    Just wondering if the new BMW 4 Series Coupe is worth around €50,000 when you can get a 3 Series Coupe that's a 2 or 3 years old for around half the price?

Is any car worth €2x when you can buy the same model 2 or 3 years old for €x?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the price of the new 4 series coupe is off the wall in my opinion. The facelift E92 coupe are cracking looking cars... If borrowing, think of the cost of credit too, it will be significant, plus the higher depreciation on the 50k+ car...

just checked there, the cheapest is the 420i SE, E47,130 on the road, for that?! LOL! A four pot, SE, for the guts of 50k?! does it even come with leather?!

http://external.bmw.ie/sausage/templates/bmw06/downloads/BMWModelRangePricelist.pdf

you can get the 5 series OTR for E45,680 again the SE version...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't know, the E9x has aged imo, it's a near 10 year old design at this stage. The cabin is very cramped in them these days.

Regarding 4 Series prices, well the smaller 2 Series coupe isn't exactly cheap either and that is closely priced to where the old E92 used to be. BMW also are trying to move it up market similar to the A5 coupe rather than just being a traditional 2 door version of the 3 Series.

I don't know, the E9x has aged imo, it's a near 10 year old design at this stage. The cabin is very cramped in them these days.

Regarding 4 Series prices, well the smaller 2 Series coupe isn't exactly cheap either and that is closely priced to where the old E92 used to be. BMW also are trying to move it up market similar to the A5 coupe rather than just being a traditional 2 door version of the 3 Series.

The price is off the wall in my opinion for what you are getting. The value is appalling. I mean if it were me personally and the car is going to cost serious money and make no mistake, these will. Yes the motor tax is "cheap" but the depreciation and loan interest will run to several thousand a year. Id buy an 06-07 6 series coupe etc, still vastly cheaper overall than the new 4 series, despite the fact that they probably cost near double new...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is no real right or wrong answer to this topic because I'm sure there is "more" car out there for a lot less money than a used 3 Series Coupe also. It's all relevant to the person spending the money. One person can be just as happy buying a brand new €60k 4 Series as another person would be spending €10k on an older car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The price is off the wall in my opinion for what you are getting. The value is appalling.

Eh, don't buy one, so?

But it doesn't look out of line with other BMWs to me.

There is no real right or wrong answer to this topic because I'm sure there is "more" car out there for a lot less money than a used 3 Series Coupe also. It's all relevant to the person spending the money. One person can be just as happy buying a brand new €60k 4 Series as another person would be spending €10k on an older car.

Bazz that is through. If ever I have seen what I deem poor value for money from BM though, the 4 series is it, absolute joke IMO. It would be different if you were getting a decent 6 pot petrol m sport for that price, at a push, but a 4 pot SE!!!

Well good for us I suppose that people buy them new and that means we can drive 6/7 year old ones for a fraction of the price, but a lot of the new bm's purchased are SE, which look crap IMO. Its nearly like they make them look poor to make the m sports look so much better, again IMO...

alternatively Op, you could bring one in from the uk... there are 2014 ones with virtually nothing on the clock start from £25000, say you get £500 off that would cover flights and ferry back etc. £25,000 = €31,715 revenue only have the 420d m sport auto up at the moment and the vrt on that is E8244, assuming the 420 SE petrol or diesel would be about E7000, makes a total of around E39,000...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201409247648130/sort/default/usedcars/quicksearch/true/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/postcode/ls298jn/make/bmw/page/1/model/4_series/radius/1501?logcode=p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭zwind

the only good point of a new BMW is their 8 speed automatic.
    SuperBlu26 wrote: »

Advertisement