Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sad News - Artane Aquatics have closed

Options
  • 05-12-2014 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭

Really sad to see that Gavin in Artane Aquatics put up a note on their Facebook today to say that they've closed their doors and ceased trading today.

A real shame, Gavin is an absolute gent, and has been full of great advice that has gotten me to the point where I finally managed to get fish breeding in one of my tanks. Really hope we'll see him popping up somewhere else as his prices were always slightly better than Seahorse and Artane was a lot closer to me than the Red Cow. Really not fancying the idea of a weekly trip out there to get RO water!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I used to be a longtime customer of theirs, back when they were out in swords.

Then they moved to arthane, and i couldn't justify the trip anymore as opposed to seahorse right on the motorway.

While getting closer to their customers is a sound decision to have made, the smaller shop killed them. They always were low/out of stock, and they never quite recovered after their relocation.

It's a pity, because Gavin is indeed an absolute gentleman, with a head bursting with knowledge. I used to drive him mad with hour long question sessions.

I hope he sets up again, with a place much larger and easier to access, as he'll go far with that knowledge. He just needs the facilities to enable him!

Anyway, my condolances to him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It was a while since I was out there but it's a pity that they've stopped trading when one would have thought trading conditions were getting better

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As I understand it, Gavin was trying to work off debts incurred by the former owner which left him unable to get any reasonable level of credit from suppliers etc. He mentioned when I was last in that there was a meeting coming up with a potential investor but it would seem whoever it was didn't come on board.

I suspect that without the legacy debts and a reasonable amount of seed capital to purchase stock etc. he could do very well were he to start up again under a new name.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭meathenterpr

Got a FB post saying that Gavin can be found in Newlands Garden centre.

Advertisement