Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter V: Despite all his ragé he's still just a rat in a Kage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Rob2D wrote: »
    Got to play this for the first time tonight in Leeds! Won my matches, so had a great time haha.

The game feels really weird at first, not at all like you'd expect. More like alpha than 3s; it's hard to describe. Ranges have gotten WAY shorter. Everyone was just whiffing normals next to each other all evening. Punishing stuff is tough unless it's blatantly unsafe, but that could just be because we didn't know how to punish yet. You really need to be making a lot more reads now.

I cornered Matt Edwards, the capcom uk guy and had a long chat with him. I asked about bringing SFV over here at which point I kinda turned into Mrs. Doyle; ah shur you will, ah go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, GO ON :pac: He says if he has a new build by September he would like to bring it over to Celtic throwdown. But I couldn't get him to promise anything. Sorry guys, I tried! I did an interview for him after but I hope it doesn't go up on YouTube because I get a bit flustered on camera.

I only played ryu, so bare that in mind if anyone has any questions. I'll answer what I can!

Oh and I'm to say hello to Fergus, who's reputation now precedes him internationally.

LOL by who? :eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ken announced. Someone a bit Akuma-ish about the face teased.

Ken looks very different, pony tail and 90's bangs.

https://t.co/XoZ1djWrZW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Merces

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Merces wrote: »

Officially hyped for SF5

p2HmM5e.jpg

Who's this chap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

Yoooo, he looks sick! Capcom actually had the balls to change Ken up a bit. Bravo.

Also, first completely new character to be teased for SFV at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Likely a new character at the end.

Ken definitely still plays like a shoto, has dp, fireball, tatsu, step kick etc. His play-style will very much be ground based (look at his v skill for example). Step kick knocking them away = corner push = gonna be rewarded for ground based play. Ken is still very much a shoto with more flash now for sure, looks awesome.

Edit : Some gameplay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

CJgK4y3VEAI5kGa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

p2HmM5e.jpg

Who's this chap?

Isn't it obvious? It's Shin El Fuerte and this time his counter hit ex q-bomb will do 700 damage. Be very afraid. ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

He has a 'V' on his face, just leaving that out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I like how Capcom are handling his V Trigger. Apart from Charlie, Ken is the only one who can cancel a special into V Trigger activation, both on hit and block. However on block it leaves him very exposed, as the whole animation includes that dash that Ken does, so on block you get heavily punished and are left very negative on block. Can be seen here. It's designed to be activated in combos as the little dash lets you catch up to your opponent and continue juggling. Looks like activating it in the neutral game will be useless too.

Ramza wrote: »
    I like how Capcom are handling his V Trigger. Apart from Charlie, Ken is the only one who can cancel a special into V Trigger activation, both on hit and block. However on block it leaves him very exposed, as the whole animation includes that dash that Ken does, so on block you get heavily punished and are left very negative on block. Can be seen here. It's designed to be activated in combos as the little dash lets you catch up to your opponent and continue juggling. Looks like activating it in the neutral game will be useless too.

I think it sucks

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Ken actually looks sick, that's amazing.

Also end character is totally unmutated blanka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

V Face's V-Trigger better let him do Custom Combos like in V-ISM. Wasted opportunities otherwise.

Make him a boss character. Make him broke as **** like V-ISM was.

Also, have some Kens.

kzMang1.png

Ken looks pretty beast, but the way they modeled his hair is friggin awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sairus wrote: »
    Ken looks pretty beast, but the way they modeled his hair is friggin awful.

I'm sure they can remodel it before release and release as on-disc DLC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

tumblr_nr8nwmkCGy1siecfmo1_1280.png

On a more serious note, Ken looks really interesting and right now I'd say he's the front-runner to be my main.

I guess we can confirm new versions of the themes for SFV then.

They'll probably do a Guile one whether he's in or not :D

http://www.capcom.co.jp/sfv/bgm/004.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

wFkS9pI.png

Someone made a composite screenshot of the character at the end. Looks like a new character to me.

e: https://twitter.com/8bitpimp/status/619278976545001473

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Looks like Abel with long hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Geckolimus

Looks like Abel with long hair.

How about E.Honda in a Thin Lizzy outfit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Snippets of some of the character themes ( and the music for the forgotten waterfall stage ) has been posted on the Saikyo blog;

http://www.capcom.co.jp/blog/sf4/saikyo_blog/2015/07/10_8060.html

( They're about Half Way down )

For feck sake, Capcom, why did you have to do remixes of the classic chars SF2 themes AGAIN? That's my main gripe, probably too worried about changing the themes after changing a lot of the character designs so much, probably took it out of them.

That said, they're not bad - just overused. Let's hope they don't flood SF5 with a zillion versions of Ryu's theme again. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Fergus_ wrote: »
    LOL by who? :eek:

CJbS4BSUkAEkqfl.jpg

Front row, second from the left. Tiny Asian man with glasses.

Snippets of some of the character themes ( and the music for the forgotten waterfall stage ) has been posted on the Saikyo blog;

http://www.capcom.co.jp/blog/sf4/saikyo_blog/2015/07/10_8060.html

( They're about Half Way down )

For feck sake, Capcom, why did you have to do remixes of the classic chars SF2 themes AGAIN?

Probably wanna keep the characters memorable?

If it ain't broke..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Nutrient wrote: »
    Probably wanna keep the characters memorable?

If it ain't broke..

I agree. New Ken theme sounds pretty sick.

Although it'd be hard to mess that one up.

The Street Fighter 2 themes are probably some of the most well known songs in the history of video games. One has a massive meme that spun out of it.

Capcom would be insane not to include them, they're a memorable part of a valuable IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Merces

Capcom hasn't manage to, or even come close imo, topping the SF2 tracks so this is good news. SF 4 had a terribly dull and forgettable soundtrack. I honestly can't remember a single song from it. SF 3 and Alpha 2 were much better though.

Merces wrote: »
    Capcom hasn't manage to, or even come close imo, topping the SF2 tracks so this is good news. SF 4 had a terribly dull and forgettable soundtrack. I honestly can't remember a single song from it. SF 3 and Alpha 2 were much better though.

I dunno man, Africa stage and Rufus theme are pretty memorable imo.

I don't think Capcom ever lost it with the music, a side effect I would guess being that Ono's actual profession before being Mr. Street Fighter was music producer.

Also.

INDESTRUCTIBLE.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

People really to separate their nostalgic love for the SF2 tracks and their opinions of the newer music in FGs. SF4 has a bunch of cracking tunes.

Small Airfield is awesome

Solar Eclipse

Overpass

Rufus

If any of these songs came out in SF2 as 8 bit tracks, people would be holding them as classics of our time, but because they didn't hear them 20 years ago they're crap and CrapCom have forgotten how to make good tracks. Ugh.

Silicon Era provide evidence of first CONFIRMED guest character:

Jp5uiZy.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    People really to separate their nostalgic love for the SF2 tracks and their opinions of the newer music in FGs. SF4 has a bunch of cracking tunes.

Small Airfield is awesome

Solar Eclipse

Overpass

Rufus

If any of these songs came out in SF2 as 8 bit tracks, people would be holding them as classics of our time, but because they didn't hear them 20 years ago they're crap and CrapCom have forgotten how to make good tracks. Ugh.

Nostalgia glasses asides, the SF4 stage themes have all been the same since Vanilla. To listen to those themes for six years onwards would really grate on me, and I'm not even a serious SF4 player. So thankfully there is an option to have character themes on. Some remixes or complete recompositions a la Third Strike (or VF5: FS) in later versions would have helped a lot.

I don't think very highly of the OST in general anyway. Some really good new themes (Rufus, El Fuerte, Cody) and remixes (Zangief, Gen, Rose). Others are kind of forgettable, and I think there is an over-abundance of virtual instruments in a lot of the orchestrations.

Advertisement