Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter V: Despite all his ragé he's still just a rat in a Kage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Rob2D wrote: »
    Just received my SFV Steam key from GMG.

Beta incoming?
    Aye, got mine too. Got me excited for a bit that I thought a beta had just dropped. No word yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

Boom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Would they give over with these bloody awful super animations. :pac:

Looks good apart from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

Damn all the female fighters in this game have such great personalities :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭shane9fingers

All the personalities are showing the target market for this game. It's kinda turning me off it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I really quite agree. I don't need it in my SF game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Yeah, some really big personalities in this game.

Some characters can scarcely contain them. They just come bursting out onto the screen.

We'll just have to put up with it I guess, however awkward it might be. Kinda hard to sell people on street fighter when this is the type of thing you have to show them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Lol.

street fighter sells itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I think it's very shallow to dismiss a character based on their visual design alone.

Come back in 6 months, you may complain that she's annoying/broken/too good.
    But just based on her looks?

That's just bad.

Everyone hates this super and I friggin love it! It's the perfect amount of goofiness.

I'm guessing Laura's shtick will be she's able to convert all/most her specials into grabs on demand. You can choose to extend combos or force a hard knockdown and mixups.

EDIT: Dismissing characters on their looks applies when it's hard to actually show the game to people. R.Mika actually damages my ability to show adults this game. Laura isn't helping.

• Advertisement

What kind of adults do you hang with?

Most adults I know understand the concept of "breasts".

*edit*
    Additionally, Street Fighter characters are all exaggerated.

All the males have ridiculous muscles that just would not work for an actual fighter (especially with their stated weights).

The sexualization of Laura actually makes sense to a degree since Brazil has a traditionally more sexual culture than other countries, and we all know how Capcom likes their ethnic stereotypes.

Some are being too quick to judge as well just because of her cleavage. Viper has an exposed upper chest herself, but whatever problems SF players usually have with her, it's usually not that.

And I think the CA is dope as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

She shares a visual aesthetic similar to Juri with a exuberant persona

Lauras design is fitting from a cultural background.

People mentioning bursting personality being a distraction,wow, SF was never a game with exaggerated characters or anything...

She's an excellent SF character

Just for some reference of past characters, Juri...need on explain?

"Gimme all you got. Try and break me"
    "Come on! You're not done already, are you?"
    "That felt good, didn't it?"

Licking her lips and all

Shes crazy popular spite all the sexual stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭spriral

Cross-Platform beta scheduled for 24th-25th of October for PC. Looks like it will start earlier for PS4 users.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/310950/announcements/detail/761464440646943625

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Conc_juice

Oh mah days, why do you guys sound like old people watching music videos

Laura is on the weaker end of the lol boobs issue in SFV, but y'all are ****ing off your rocker if you think R.Mika's chest and butt don't cause problems in showcasing the game.

Skullgirls had many reasons for not being picked up, but the loudest complaint I heard was from how it was too perverted looking to play. Willfully ignoring the effects of gigantic, bubble chested women waving their bits in the camera when it obviously affects the game is silly.
    See DoA for the same reasons.

Whatever, I don't really care about the topic. Laura's animations have totally sold me on her design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

My main gripe with the next beta is that it's taking place on the October bank holiday weekend..... the joys of working hospitality! :V

Guess the fact we're going to be given a different bunch of characters will mean I'll have to experiment with the lot of them this time around, probably more interested in trying out Rashid than the others tbh.

As for Laura, man talk about leak central in regards to her. She'd probably be one of the characters I'd be more interested in trying and not just from an atheistic point.

People will argue forever about sexual character designs but it's something that will always be there. Sex sells after all. Laura and even R Mika's design are pretty tame compared to some of the stuff in other games tbh.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I think it's very shallow to dismiss a character based on their visual design alone.

Come back in 6 months, you may complain that she's annoying/broken/too good.
    But just based on her looks?

That's just bad.

No Kiki. No one is dimissing her. We're saying her visual aesthetic is juvenile. Read up on what a strawman argument is.
    Sairus wrote: »
    Everyone hates this super and I friggin love it! It's the perfect amount of goofiness.

I'm guessing Laura's shtick will be she's able to convert all/most her specials into grabs on demand. You can choose to extend combos or force a hard knockdown and mixups.

EDIT: Dismissing characters on their looks applies when it's hard to actually show the game to people. R.Mika actually damages my ability to show adults this game. Laura isn't helping.

I kinda felt with Mika I could at least say "Look she's an old character, from a different time, that's her costume, yeah it sucks but there you are". Can't do that with Laura.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    What kind of adults do you hang with?

Most adults I know understand the concept of "breasts".

*edit*
    Additionally, Street Fighter characters are all exaggerated.

All the males have ridiculous muscles that just would not work for an actual fighter (especially with their stated weights).

I hang around with the type of adults who don't need ridiculous interpretations of the human body designed to attract people with the sexual and emotional maturity of a twelve year old to play a game, and, sometimes, face issues with selling SF to sponsors and new players that will be damaged by the hyper juvenile sexualisation of it.

But it's ok you got your big boobs, you enjoy it.
    Macal wrote: »
    The sexualization of Laura actually makes sense to a degree since Brazil has a traditionally more sexual culture than other countries, and we all know how Capcom likes their ethnic stereotypes.

Some are being too quick to judge as well just because of her cleavage. Viper has an exposed upper chest herself, but whatever problems SF players usually have with her, it's usually not that.

And I think the CA is dope as well.

People did have a problem with Viper when she initially came out. Also, it should be noted there's been a massive shift in the gaming demographic since SFIVanilla came out. This stuff is going to fly less and less in games.

I'm still going to play the game, might even play her. I actually think she looks sick and the CA does too. Just don't need the hyper sexualised sell.
    Conc_juice wrote: »
    Oh mah days, why do you guys sound like old people watching music videos

Nah, just **** brain dead cookie cutter R n' B ones that all behave exactly the same that reflect the same issue.

(I'd link you a few examples of rap and R n B songs that actually take the piss out of this trope but apparently I am working in Germany today and GEMA means I can't get them).
    Laura is on the weaker end of the lol boobs issue in SFV, but y'all are ****ing off your rocker if you think R.Mika's chest and butt don't cause problems in showcasing the game.

Skullgirls had many reasons for not being picked up, but the loudest complaint I heard was from how it was too perverted looking to play. Willfully ignoring the effects of gigantic, bubble chested women waving their bits in the camera when it obviously affects the game is silly.
    See DoA for the same reasons.

Whatever, I don't really care about the topic. Laura's animations have totally sold me on her design.

I believe I said much more about Mika :D

Yeah this is the thing now. You can't make a comment like "Gee, I really wish these game makers would cut down on the ol' flesh in their games, it's a little childish and makes them a hard sell" without a bunch of people making out like you're trying to RUIN GAMING FOREVER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Still have to agree with Doom and Sairus.

We were making a broader observation on capcom and perhaps gaming in general. We didn't condemn Laura at all. My own feelings on her are kinda neutral tbh.

It's just that things seem to be approaching a DOA/Mai Shiranui level. Can we not aspire and hope for our game to be better than that? I don't think there's anything wrong with such a view as ours.

And saying that the men having big ridiculous muscles is just as bad is totally not the same thing. I feel this penny arcade comic is VERY relevant to this thread right now:

i-svhrTpg-1050x10000.jpg

We were making a broader observation on capcom and perhaps gaming in general. We didn't condemn Laura at all. My own feelings on her are kinda neutral tbh.

It's just that things seem to be approaching a DOA/Mai Shiranui level. Can we not aspire and hope for our game to be better than that? I don't think there's anything wrong with such a view as ours.

And saying that the men having big ridiculous muscles is just as bad is totally not the same thing. I feel this penny arcade comic is VERY relevant to this thread right now:

i-svhrTpg-1050x10000.jpg

You can't really compare testicles to female breasts since there isn't as drastic of a difference in size between adults. Otherwise our boxers would need more than S, M and L waist sizes to identify a fitting pair of them.

I think it once different body types are accounted for in a video game, then there is less misrepresentation. Problem is that it's not the case with the females on SFV so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

That's some wishful thinking

i-svhrTpg-1050x10000.jpg

If you don't like Mai, we can't be friends. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

best girl
    whip_kof_um_by_orochidarkkyo-d5m09lv.png

airmax87 wrote: »
    best girl

Whip for KoF14 less go. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

she looks pretty fun, that st mk is a beast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

The Hound wrote: »

Best character designs in the game. Really brings out these characters unique personalities :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Watching the SCR exhibition, sure who do I see, only feckin Alex in the background on the New York stage.

Standing in front of a car with a SSF V Reg plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Why do people want Alex?

Half the scrubs that want him never even played him

• Advertisement

Nutrient wrote: »
    Why do people want Alex Karin?

Half the scrubs that want him her never even played him her

Fixed that for you. :pac:

Advertisement