Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter V: Despite all his ragé he's still just a rat in a Kage

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

liA7h4d.png

Looks like you have a BINGO then, Doc. Putting them in a matrix doesn't make them untrue for sure... they're still censorship apologist quotes inside or outside a table.

You realise- right now- I could censor you?

Long as I did it for the correct reasons, no one would care. But then you're not Mika's arse ;)

Free speech only exists for very specific things. In fact, in this country, free speech doesn't exist at all, it is not enshrined in our constitution. In fact, our modern society would grind to a halt in many ways without some censorship. This forum would certainly be unusable.

I want to be perfectly, abundantly clear, that I see no problem in censorship for a game that the makers want to be available to children. I believe adults should be able to see whatever they want, long as it does not involve misery for others.

That being said, I found the stuff that's been removed kind of annoying, so I will cry no tears for it.

Despite someone thinking putting it into squares makes a point, the game is in development, and it is up to them, it is something that doesn't change the game at all, and quite a few of the people arguing for it on facebook are displaying the emotional maturity of 12 year olds, throwing their toys out of the prams. You may call me an apologist all you like, doesn't change reality.

EDIT: I should also point out you're misquoting me. some of those posts were to do with Kiki saying not wanting boobs flying everywhere made people emotionally stunted, pre the changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

don't know what's more annoying: these posts or how huge that stupid image is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I found the ass slap funny and it certainly fit in very well with the rest of the move animation and the character in general. It's a shame they felt the need to edit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

What (maybe) happened: The ESRB told Capcom that visible hand-on-flexed-gluteus action (of the kind seen in the previous version of the activation of Mika's super) is rated M. Capcom have every right to release SF5 as an M-rated game, if they so desire; understandably, they don't (and even if they do, it'd only affect North America). For what it's worth, the email campaign on Reddit doesn't mention the ESRB.

What definitely didn't happen: The ESRB/global SJW conspiracy/space aliens from the planet Varkon held a gun to Ono's head and told him that upon pain of death, there will be no butt-slappng in SF5.

So yeah, I'm not seeing how this counts as censorship. For those who are still confused, I recommend this video:

If that's the case then I think the ESRB have their priorities all mixed up. Cammy's camel flaps are one thing, but mika's hilarious slap on the ass is quite another. That sort of slap of one's own ass before squishing someones face with it isn't really a sexual thing at all. I bet juri's gonna get away with all sorts of sexy dancing and other salacious taunting just cos she isn't touching this or that part of her body.

In my opinion, if there's any oversexualising being done in this case, it's being done by the people who are interpreting this raucous fun loving behaviour in a sexual manner.

Dan slaps his ass in sf4, and it's a great taunt and another great example of how hilarious slapping yourself on the ass is. Granted he's wearing pants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

The most common kind in this part of the world.

https://www.wordnik.com/words/self-censorship

Oh jeez, I wonder what it could be. We need Sherlock Holmes on this one.

But that's not censorship and use of the word in this context is ridiculous. It's as bad as the other side with their ridiculous claims of microagressions and other such jibberish.

Also I didn't say per se. I gave a concession to your argument in order to get some sort of reasonable response rather than a rather still image.

Also to be clear, I have no dog in this. I don't know if I saw the buttslap and I don't think I saw it afterwards (maybe a gif). I'm only involved because of the misuse of the word and the terrible argument being put forward.

The cries of censorship bother me in the same way it bothers when people say they're depressed after a bad day or when they describe Waterford Whispers as satire.

Really I'm just having a quiet day in work.
    Oh jeez, I wonder what it could be. We need Sherlock Holmes on this one.

My best guess is that Capcom decided it presented a better image and they could make more money without it. Probably similar reasons to why they don't have a blackface character.

But maybe the code was borked in some way, maybe one of the execs was playing the game and started recreating the buttslap which led to it being ****canned. Maybe it was all sorts of reasons.

I don't know if it's fair to say that this can't be described as censorship.

Looking at it even from the perspective of "ESRB says if you want people of age x to watch this then you can't have buttslaps" then it can still be considered censorship. Content in the game has been indirectly suppressed by the threat of lessened revenues.

Saying "if you do not remove this from your work you will suffer consequence X" is very easily characterised as censorship. Self-censorship is still censorship also.

Here is oxford:

Definition of censorship in English:
    noun
    [mass noun]
    1The suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered
    obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security:
    ‘the regulation imposes censorship on all media’
    [as modifier]: ‘we have strict censorship laws'

Note "censorship laws" are an example of censorship, not its definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

People arguing from a trivial point and I just want them to redo Zangief's lame Critical art

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

raah! wrote: »
    I don't know if it's fair to say that this can't be described as censorship.

Looking at it even from the perspective of "ESRB says if you want people of age x to watch this then you can't have buttslaps" then it can still be considered censorship. Content in the game has been indirectly suppressed by the threat of lessened revenues.

Saying "if you do not remove this from your work you will suffer consequence X" is very easily characterised as censorship. Self-censorship is still censorship also.

Here is oxford:

Definition of censorship in English:
    noun
    [mass noun]
    1The suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered
    obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security:
    ‘the regulation imposes censorship on all media’
    [as modifier]: ‘we have strict censorship laws'

Note "censorship laws" are an example of censorship, not its definition.

That's a fair point but iirc the ERSB is voluntary for the games company. Not having it will lead to reduced revenue but this is a general societal shift of the way we view content.

So as it's not being forced upon Capcom, calling it censorship is a stretch. You've made a fair argument for it but it's the same kind of argument that led to 'literally' being redined as an expression of exaggeration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭EmSixTeen

In all seriousness though, give over about losing out on some tits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

EmSixTeen wrote: »
    In all seriousness though, give over about losing out on some tits.

This is actually how I feel on the topic too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Nutrient wrote: »
    People arguing from a trivial point and I just want them to redo Zangief's lame Critical art

Nobody likes that but I think it's pretty neat :pac:

Makes a change from spd spd spd to different camera angle spd.

Orim wrote: »
    That's a fair point but iirc the ERSB is voluntary for the games company. Not having it will lead to reduced revenue but this is a general societal shift of the way we view content.

So as it's not being forced upon Capcom, calling it censorship is a stretch. You've made a fair argument for it but it's the same kind of argument that led to 'literally' being redined as an expression of exaggeration.
    Hahahahahah I've always loved that one. Literally being used figuratively to mean "figuratively", "almost" or "not literally". Literally figuratively means "not literally" in these contexts.

The stretching I was doing was of a different kind though. The stretching in this latter case is the sort where a word is used figuratively so much that the figurative meaning becomes "literal" in the sense that "literal" means "the standard use of a word". But what I was stretching a term in the original definition, a connotation of the literal meaning of censorship, and the stretching was more of a reconsidering of what can be called suppression.

It's all a good laugh anyway.

And tbh while the boobs and butts are all well and good, too much of them can be a bit embarassing for if people are passing by and you are staring at them with your tongue sticking out of your mouth and swishing all sorts of directions in the air.

So far in sfV I am liking ryu (for lack of anyone else at the start) and dhalsim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Lets move on from assgate and start asking the important questions......like will the next beta have Dhalsim playable?

That right there is one of the most important questions of our time.

Eventhubs starting a SFV tier poll is hilarious.

Gotta get them clicks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Do you usually get your code right after applying for the beta ?

airmax87 wrote: »
    Do you usually get your code right after applying for the beta ?

No it took mine a while. But that was for the first beta though...

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I've just got a free Street Fighter V beta gift on steam out of the blue.

First to ask gets it.

Yeah me too. I think everyone did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Simon_K

Can i have it ? :D

Send a friend invite to Azza on steam. I'll send to you.

Last character revealed as Shadaloo's extremely camp second in command. Dude named F.A.N.G.

Seriously he looks like he's wandered from a different game.
    Looks like his gimmick of choice is the ability to poison his opponent.

Capcom also confirmed the first 6 DLC characters are the same as the leaked info.

Alex
    Guile
    Balrog
    Ibuki
    Juri
    Urien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Azza wrote: »
    Last character revealed as Shadaloo's extremely camp second in command. Dude named F.A.N.G.

Seriously he looks like he's wandered from a different game.
    Looks like his gimmick of choice is the ability to poison his opponent.

Capcom also confirmed the first 6 DLC characters are the same as the leaked info.

Alex
    Guile
    Balrog
    Ibuki
    Juri
    Urien

He replaced Sagat? He probably would be fine if he was revealed early on and given such a prominent role. Fans expect the last character to be revealed to be a badass.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

New main confirmed. Also congrats on the excellent title, whoever that was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Looking forward to seeing Urien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    New main confirmed. Also congrats on the excellent title, whoever that was!

I actually thought to myself this morning that you'd main him. Weird.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Well obviously, I'll eventually be looking to main the most braindead, boring, easy2win character in the game! But until that's known, FANG's my man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

FANG is actually a pretty cool looking guy, except for that stupid flying super thing at the end. The rest of his weird movements are actually fine.

What's everyone's opinion on the $30 season pass? 6 characters plus 1 Premium Costume each, plus a PS4 theme.
    Apparently characters will be $6 by themselves. $6 x 6 = $36, so you're getting one character plus the costumes free I guess.

Zenny breakdown was given as this:

100 Zenny = Purchase for $0.99 / €0.99 / £0.79
    550 Zenny = Purchase for $4.99/€4.99/£3.99 (receive a 50 Zenny bonus)
    1200 Zenny = Purchase for $9.99/€9.99/£7.99 (receive a 200 Zenny bonus)
    4000 Zenny = Purchase for $29.99/ €29.99/£24.99 (receive a 1000 Zenny bonus)

I'm guessing that means each character is 600 zenny.

There's still no announcement of how much zenny = fight money, or how fast you earn fight money, so it's hard to gauge how good this season pass actually is.

I'm guessing the Premium Costumes mean you will not be able to buy them with Fight Money though, and will need to put real money down on them regardless.

Advertisement