Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter V: Despite all his ragé he's still just a rat in a Kage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

CFN - Nutrient

New player from Ivory Coast looking for games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

CFN - Cellsai.

Who wants to try out that Japan - Ireland/Ivory Coast netcode?

Side note: Hot Ryu is still best.

EF4Xqm6.gif

Cdot9eT.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

CFN - RedXIV

anyone notice a difficulty spike when playing survival? just messing around earlier and when on the last stage in normal, for the third time, I just got creamed

RedXIV wrote: »
    CFN - RedXIV

anyone notice a difficulty spike when playing survival? just messing around earlier and when on the last stage in normal, for the third time, I just got creamed

The difficulty levels are pretty clear after you play it a few times.

1-15ish : AI just stands there and lets you beat on it.
    15-26 : AI will slowly ramp up in difficulty, starting to block occasionally and actually damage you. Claw in particular starts to get kind of unpredictable.
    27-30 : Huge spike in difficulty. Stupid jump ins stop working most of the time and the opponent will do some seriously damaging punishes pretty much every time they hit you.

There are some tricks that work pretty much regardless of difficulty level though:
    Neutral jump + hp/hk : Towards the end of Survival your jump ins stop working so much. Just do some NJs and let them walk towards you. Unless they're Chun Li they'll probably never AA you. Watch out for Claw's air grab and Karin going air to air with you.
    Meaty heavy jump ins
    : While the AI does block a lot later, it seems to have serious problems with very late meaty hits. Knock em down once and then just keep doing this. If it eventually does block, back off and try and knock it down again to repeat.
    Cross ups : AI seems to have no ability to block these basically at all. Beware of AA specials like Necalli's and Karin's.
    Fireball spam : Eventually the AI will jump these out of pure random chance, but if you're willing to put up with the grind you can spam them into the corner for almost the entire game.
    SRKs : If the opponent is walking towards you they will eat a DP for free every time. They'll also eat them 90% of the time anyway in all difficulties for the entire game too, so safe bet if you have one. There are Youtube playthroughs of guys doing Hell mode and almost literally just doing SRKs for every game.

General tip:

For the first 10-15 matches, use Double Down supplements in every game you can. I avoid both supplements that reduce your health, but I use the 0ther 3 constantly. Once you hit 10+ you should have enough points to buy Health/Defense/Attack boosters for the rest of the game.
    I buy Attack buffs in every game unless I need a Medium or higher supplement. Sometimes a Defense boost is actually better than a Health boost! Defense 3 = 60% damage reduction. Low Health is 20% regain, etc.

If you're thinking "I don't want to use non-health supplements. I wanna beat the game using my skill!"... just don't. This is a crappy mode and doesn't deserve that level of respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Thanks a million for that Sarius! Will go back and get stuck in.

I play Ryu mainly anyway so the SRK strategy should work for me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Defense 3 is the absolute best thing to pick against Bison. Crouch block all day. The only overhead he uses is headstomp and it's follow up.

Wait for him to do his second rep of scissors kick and just do cr.LP xx special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Nutrient wrote: »
    CFN - Nutrient

New player from Ivory Coast looking for games.

Mah brutha! Where's AJ? Team ivory coast for the win. These paddy's gonna get wrecked.

CFN: Rob_2D

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

A.I Bison will start AA-ing every direct jump in during the later stages of survival, but he's utterly free to cross ups which will he still attempt to AA but won't be able too.

Laura and R.Mika are my opinion the most dangerous A.I opponents in survival mode and Karin just a little behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Think I just beat Luffy!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭spriral

Azza wrote: »
    A.I Bison will start AA-ing every direct jump in during the later stages of survival, but he's utterly free to cross ups which will he still attempt to AA but won't be able too.

Crossing them up makes the normal Bison fight way easier. I kept using Chun's down forward roundhouse jump and he got hit every time.

• Advertisement

Bonus tip: Set your Battle Request to "On" and join settings to "Ask". This way you'll get a prompt at the bottom of the screen saying "Press Start to join an online battle" when you get paired online. Use it as a get out of jail free card if the match looks like it's going poorly, but ignore it if the match is going well. If you accept the match it'll put you back at the start of the round with damage reset afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭SwarfegaHead

Okay, so I've decided this is gonna be the game that makes fighters click with me. I've been playing SF for as long as I've been able to wipe my own rear, but I've never really gotten big into fighting games. I took a big shine to SF4, but I let my lack of understanding of fighting games in general discourage me from really getting invested. But, Im in this one for the long haul. Wouldnt mind getting a few rounds in against people a bit more local!

Steam: SwarfegaHead
    CFN: SwarfegaHead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

1456888940-2016-3-02-Strife-Affirming.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

1455848038-2016-2-19-Discrete-Fighter.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Okay, so I've decided this is gonna be the game that makes fighters click with me. I've been playing SF for as long as I've been able to wipe my own rear, but I've never really gotten big into fighting games. I took a big shine to SF4, but I let my lack of understanding of fighting games in general discourage me from really getting invested. But, Im in this one for the long haul. Wouldnt mind getting a few rounds in against people a bit more local!

Steam: SwarfegaHead
    CFN: SwarfegaHead

Where's local for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Xanfel

My CFN is Xanfel.

I play a pretty scrubby Rashid, and I'm keen to get some decent practice in before I embarrass myself at Hypespotting.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Where's local for you?

Wexford, but anywhere European is probably safe enough game-wise :p I usually work kinda late so playing afterwards usually ends up with me playing matches against US players and the lag is real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'm in Bunclody and will happily play a few games. Can get on from 22:00 most nights.

PSN and CFN IDs are Leto_II_of_Dune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Need to start paying attention to Boards again.

PSN & CFN: MiKenyan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

CFN ID : Ramza-

Not settled on a main yet and still mucking about with a lot of the cast so feel free to hit me up for games. Not been on much lately but open to any and all invites.

• Advertisement

Fair point about Capcom's recent "save a video of rage quitters and we'll deal with them" initiative:

YOU GUYS! :eek:

He has returned to us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Anyone else having trouble finding games? It can take upwards of 10 minutes for me sometimes.

I've had some ridiculously long waits for fights, it seems to be much better around afternoon-evening than it is at night for me. Also my fighter profile has had a stroke of some kind. It's defaulted my back to Ryu as my main, dropped my level and LP back to 0, and says my last played is sometime in 1906. My LP in the main menu hasn't gone back to zero, but it's not updating after ranked matches either. Hopefully itll sort itself out in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Simon_K

I average 2-5 minute waits when searching for 4-5 bar connections, casuals only :( And I'm only 1k LP.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Don't know what to say guys, I don't really have any wait time at all. In fact sometimes it's annoying how fast I find someone as I'm trying to practice in the training room.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

This isn't obvious, but if you make it so you have to confirm whether you go into the fight or not, you get to see the connection quality.

The thing is, when I do manage to get games the connection is nearly always solid. It's just a case of matchmaking taking ridiculous amounts of time. The last Post Launch Update on Capcom Unity has a list of ports that SFV uses, but Im not sure if that'd be useful for people with trouble matchmaking or just people who cant connect to the servers at all. I'm having an absolute blast playing the game, I just wish I could get fights more often. Even connecting to Battle Lounges is iffy at best. Hopefully it's just issues that will get smoothed out over time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    This isn't obvious, but if you make it so you have to confirm whether you go into the fight or not, you get to see the connection quality.

This is fairly useless without a flag, most matches show 4-5 bars and you end up playing someone in Russia teleporting all over the screen.

• Advertisement

bush wrote: »
    This is fairly useless without a flag, most matches show 4-5 bars and you end up playing someone in Russia teleporting all over the screen.

It does help a bit though. You can avoid the really bad connections. But as you say it can still f*** you from time to time.

Advertisement