Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter V: Despite all his ragé he's still just a rat in a Kage

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

From that EventHubs article:
    They started off by clarifying that the Ibuki air throw glitch is completely unintented, and that they're currently working on fixing it. It was mentioned that they can't give a concrete date right now as to when it will be fixed, but urged players to simply not use it in matches since it's an unfair advantage, and it will be gone in the near future.

LOL at asking a Fighting Game community not to use a bug that's in the game to their advantage. DHC glitch in Vanilla marvel 3 anyone? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    LOL at asking a Fighting Game community not to use a bug that's in the game to their advantage. DHC glitch in Vanilla marvel 3 anyone? :P

A series known for TOD and infinite combos anyway though.

They patched it in the sequel, but it ended up having bigger damage combos anyway, and the TAC glitch.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Sairus wrote: »
    I'm still worried about eventual repercussions for doing that.

It'd be pretty easy for Capcom to check everyone's best times going through survival and see they are impossible to get without cheating. Normally I doubt anyone would bother checking that stuff, but when racking up massive amounts of Fight Money actually affects Capcom's bottom line on DLC sales I wouldn't be shocked to see them crack down on it eventually.

If they do that, I'll walk away from the series for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Azza wrote: »
    If they do that, I'll walk away from the series for good.

In a way they might have to.

If SFV is supposed to be a continuous source of revenue for them, they can't not punish people who circumvent their paywalls.

If they allow people to just modify the game code and jump online with unreleased characters it sends a bad message that the fullest and most enjoyable SFV experience is to be had by hackers.

Also if they don't formulate a consistent punishment table for these kinds of offenses, it sends a message to the "legitimate" community that they can do these kinds of hacks without consequence, so why would legitimate players NOT modify their games?

That said, this is all down to what kind of metrics Capcom can and are tracking in their playerbase.

I've worked on a few online games, and you'ld be shocked at what kind of really obvious "they can definitely record this" metrics we actually had no idea about and no way to track; while alternatively some really obscure and seemingly useless data was meticulously recorded and easily searchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

It'd be pretty easy for Capcom to check everyone's best times going through survival

Would it though? All the data is saved locally.

On my work PC I haven't done any survival at all so it shows that nothing has been completed. And what if I just erased my save file at home. How would they ever know what times I had?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Hi. I'm a casual SFIV player but I only play single-player. I'm afraid I'm not very good so I just get battered online. However I do enjoy the odd arcade run as an alternative to the action games I usually play.

So my question is this: is it worth my while picking up SFV? Is there enough of a single-player experience as a result of the recent update? Or should I continue with SFIV and perhaps pick up V when it drops a good bit in price? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

There is virtually no single-player content whatsoever, don't waste your money.

They just patched in story mode but frankly it's rubbish, doesn't last long and contains little actual gameplay.

There is virtually no single-player content whatsoever, don't waste your money.

They just patched in story mode but frankly it's rubbish, doesn't last long and contains little actual gameplay.

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Hi. I'm a casual SFIV player but I only play single-player. I'm afraid I'm not very good so I just get battered online. However I do enjoy the odd arcade run as an alternative to the action games I usually play.

So my question is this: is it worth my while picking up SFV? Is there enough of a single-player experience as a result of the recent update? Or should I continue with SFIV and perhaps pick up V when it drops a good bit in price? Thanks.
    Maybe try one of its many rivals with actual single-player content.

Guilty Gear Xrd
    BlazBlue
    Mortal Kombat X

• Registered Users Posts: 29 duffsocks

I'd disagree about the story mode, I had no interest in it whatsoever but it ended up being pretty entertaining. It's not really worth €50 though if you're not going to play online. If Argos still have the game for €25 I'd recommend it though.
    MKX and GG Xrd also have decent story modes as mentioned above, any BlazBlue I've played was basically just a visual novel though.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but I feel a lot of nostalgia for the Street Fighter series. I guess it's the characters that make me dip in and out.

I feel the same about Mortal Kombat although I really dislike the look of MKX. It was always a dark series but it looks downright oppressive now.

I hadn't heard of GG before. I love the character design and overall art direction but it's perhaps a bit too technical for me.

Where does Injustice rank in all of this? I'm a bit of a DC fan so the characters would certainly interest me.

Finally, in terms of SF online play, should I be matched up against someone that's within my 'level'? It seems like the guys I'm getting hooked up with are very capable players (or maybe I'm even worse than I thought).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

duffsocks wrote: »
    I'd disagree about the story mode, I had no interest in it whatsoever but it ended up being pretty entertaining. It's not really worth €50 though if you're not going to play online. If Argos still have the game for €25 I'd recommend it though.
    MKX and GG Xrd also have decent story modes as mentioned above, any BlazBlue I've played was basically just a visual novel though.

I don't think story mode is the only thing Kiki is referencing.

Fun 1-player modes and things are always a plus.

Blazblue always adds some kind a craziness in every game that's different (and sadly removes the previous craziness).

I loved a mode they had in Calamity Trigger where you choose one character, and then had to fight your way across a map grid against opposing armies with that character without any health recovery between games.

To offset this, on every map grid you beat you got to recruit one opponent character from the opposite army. Including the unfair boss characters.

Also there were items on the map that could restore health or let you start with full super, but the more turns you took moving on the map, the more the remaining opposing armies leveled up and become more difficult.

So you had to balance getting all the bonus pick-ups versus letting the final boss army level up too much.

It was just a stupid little mode that probably didn't take someone very long to programme, but I got a lot of enjoyment out of beating all the different maps with different characters.

More stuff like this on top of the story mode would make SFV a more appealing purchase to people who won't get a lot of value out of online versus.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I actually love the story mode but for someone who likes casual play it's a one off deal, not worth 70 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but I feel a lot of nostalgia for the Street Fighter series. I guess it's the characters that make me dip in and out.

I feel the same about Mortal Kombat although I really dislike the look of MKX. It was always a dark series but it looks downright oppressive now.

I hadn't heard of GG before. I love the character design and overall art direction but it's perhaps a bit too technical for me.

Where does Injustice rank in all of this? I'm a bit of a DC fan so the characters would certainly interest me.

Finally, in terms of SF online play, should I be matched up against someone that's within my 'level'? It seems like the guys I'm getting hooked up with are very capable players (or maybe I'm even worse than I thought).
    Guilty Gear Xrd is a lot less technical / more easy than the prior XX series (which was pretty hardcore), and it has a pretty good Training mode that tries to gently teach you combos & advanced strategies.

Revelator has a really cool minigame type thing, too.

Injustice has a decent amount of 1P stuff, but if you thought MKX was oppressive...

Injustice has a ridiculous level of single player content.

Xrd, while less technical than past GG games, is still pretty damn technical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

For a casual looking for SP content I'd recommend any version of BB over Xrd, far less technical and way more SP modes and things to do.

For SP content in a SF game I'd say dig out the DC or PSP versions of Alpha 3 and play World Tour, that's as good as it gets. Better survival mode than SFV as well IIRC.

Boy, that post had a lot of acronyms. :pac:

For SP content in a SF game I'd say dig out the DC or PSP versions of Alpha 3

I've just listened to the Alpha series episode of the Cane and Rinse podcast. It really got me excited to play the PSP edition, but unless I'm mistaken it's only available for the Vita through the US store. Very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Is everyone aware of the method for unlocking all the colours on the PS4 version?

There's a thread on SRK that links to a reddit thread for it.

I won't post here to keep boards.ie clean of the method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Is everyone aware of the method for unlocking all the colours on the PS4 version?

There's a thread on SRK that links to a reddit thread for it.

I won't post here to keep boards.ie clean of the method.

That sounds amazing. I hate survival with a passion. Could you PM me the link please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Goes without saying but use said method at your own risk. It's likely at Evo that they will announce colors will be purchasable in store soon, so doing workarounds to unlock everything might piss Capcops off. Not worth risking a ban for IMO. I'm sure they know about the PC survival mod and they will hear about this no doubt. Although, given their current track record with how long it takes them to address issues with this game, might be worth a shot :pac:

It begs the question of why colors are locked behind a boring survival mode grind in the first place. Ridiculous. People wouldn't have to worry about risky workarounds if we could just unlock colors by playing.

Ramza wrote: »
    It begs the question of why colors are locked behind a boring survival mode grind in the first place. Ridiculous. People wouldn't have to worry about risky workarounds if we could just unlock colors by playing.

What's even more insane is how they thought locking each color per costume behind survival was a good idea. Who in their right mind is going to do Hard Survival for every costume and character, just to have a fully unlocked game.
    At the very least any character bought with FM or real god damn money should come with their ****ing colors.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

What's even more insane is how they thought locking each color per costume behind survival was a good idea. Who in their right mind is going to do Hard Survival for every costume and character, just to have a fully unlocked game.
    At the very least any character bought with FM or real god damn money should come with their ****ing colors.

One potential reason jumps out to me- Survival was the only real single player game type on the disc, they wanted to give it replay "value", so they hide the only unlockable content they have in there.

I'm fully expecting when I'm at the panel in Las Vegas on Friday morning (yesssssssssss) to hear colours are being divested across whatever content is coming.

You know I think what would be a great idea, how about having colors 1-10 for all characters unlocked by default.

I know guys, your thinking that the line of thought is the thinking of some sort of crazed free thinking anarchist.....but I've gone back and studied the history books and this revolutionary feature did in fact exist as far back as Super Turbo back in good old 1994!

FFS Capcom we don't want to spend any time unlocking default colors at all, in any game mode....ever!. You think you would of learned when you got slated for pulling the same crap back in vanilla SF4 except this time you made it even worse. Unlock the colors and do so for all unlocked story and premium costumes.

And while your at it, lower the cost of premium costumes. €4 for one costume is outrageous.€4.99 got me 5 costumes in USF IV and €19.99 got me 45 costumes. I would genuinely like to get all the costumes for completeness sake but instead I'm only buying the one for my main.

Survival mode should be strictly reserved for prestige, titles and FM rewards (the mode should be completely overhauled regardless)

I have no problem with additional colors like 11-15 and titles being lock behind character rank, they are there for prestige and that's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

20 euro for a stage and a handful of costumes. Capcom have gone (more) mad.

FFS Capcom, utter incompetence and stupidity with the pricing.

The 1 round survival mod and the recent packet hack for unlocking everything in the game has been patched out.
    Didn't take them long to fix that once it was made apparent how easy it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

So I was at the panel and they justified the pricing by saying the money would be going back into the CPT specifically.

Rob2D wrote: »
    So I was at the panel and they justified the pricing by saying the money would be going back into the CPT specifically.
    A portion of the proceeds. They haven't said how much, which is a little worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

A stage should never cost $10/€10.

Its worth noting that MKX did something similar in releasing a Sub Zero skin for ESL prize pot funding. It was €2 (half of what a regular premium outfit costs in SFV). It was successful enough that they decided to double the prize pool they committed originally ($50,000 to $100,000).

Advertisement