Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter 5 ( Ps4 , Pc )

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Battle System Trailer

Birdie and Cammy reveal.

There is also a lot of gameplay footage up online taken at E3.

A lot of gameplay information.

Game is designed to be more offensive based.
    2 frame input buffer for all combo's mean's combo's in general will be much easier to perform.
    360 commands (i.e. Zangiefs traditional Spinning Pile Driver command) have been removed from the game.
    Charge times appear to be reduced.
    Crouch tech has been removed.
    Teching throws is harder.
    Normals do grey health chip damage.
    You can no longer K.O someone by chip damage except with your Critical Art.
    V-Counters can not K.O an opponent.
    New mechanic called Crush Counter. Each character has one move that will cause a unique counter hit state on their opponent.
    When your K.O. during a match you start the next round on the side of the screen you where K.O. on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Azza wrote: »
    Crouch tech has been removed.

Teching throws is harder.

These are both good decisions in my opinion.

Capcom have said crouch tech is gone, but in the preview builds players have discovered it to be still in the game albeit with very strict timing. I suspect its a bug and will be completely removed before release.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ken reveal

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ken's gone very emo....

But I do like the build, and the combos look very fresh. Nice bit of a revamp, and as a Ken user I do like the idea of moving his style away from Ryu more.

• Advertisement

Clips of some of the theme's of several characters and the Forgotten Waterfall stage.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

.ak wrote: »
    Ken's gone very emo....

But I do like the build, and the combos look very fresh. Nice bit of a revamp, and as a Ken user I do like the idea of moving his style away from Ryu more.

Ken hasn't played like Ryu since SF2:WW :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Ken hasn't played like Ryu since SF2:WW :P

To be fair, all of their normals were exactly the same up until SSF2. In WW the only difference was Ken had his barrel roll throw: In Champ edition there was some minor changes to DP, fireballs and hadokens which were further exaggerated in Hyper.

To be fair, all of their normals were exactly the same up until SSF2. In WW the only difference was Ken had his barrel roll throw: In Champ edition there was some minor changes to DP, fireballs and hadokens which were further exaggerated in Hyper.

Ah yeah, I meant they were basically the same in WW but have been diverging since

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Some great news if true I imagine. Basically this will be the only version of Street Fighter 5 and it will be constantly updated and all future dlc (characters) can be earned in game.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/18/street-fighter-v-a-new-way-to-play/

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    Some great news if true I imagine. Basically this will be the only version of Street Fighter 5 and it will be constantly updated and all future dlc (characters) can be earned in game.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/18/street-fighter-v-a-new-way-to-play/

The competitive SF players never had a problem with the old release system. It was always the casual players that never bought the later releases anyway that complained...

This could be good or bad, depending on how much effort is needed to earn the characters, and how expensive they will be otherwise.

Hopefully they will all work in offline mode once downloaded as this can be a MAJOR pain for tournaments otherwise.

It's nice to see zenny back in a capcom game though!

Hopefully this will shut up all the "I'm waiting for the Ultra Hyper Omega Super Street Fighter 5 Turbo HD Remix Alpha" brigade but I'm sure they will find someway to moan about this as well.

Hopefully this will shut up all the "I'm waiting for the Ultra Hyper Omega Super Street Fighter 5 Turbo HD Remix Alpha" brigade but I'm sure they will find someway to moan about this as well.

PAY2PLAY FU CRAPCOM etc.

When the only reason this is happening is because of them...

Still, could be good depending on implementation.

Haven't ye learned anything? Nobody is ever happy with anything. People just whine no matter what. For the record, I think the new model is a terrible idea, and would much prefer Super SFV down the road.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Haven't ye learned anything? Nobody is ever happy with anything. People just whine no matter what. For the record, I think the new model is a terrible idea, and would much prefer Super SFV down the road.

True. Best to leave the moaners to themselves and just engage with people who are actually interested in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Could someone help me understand why people think the new model is a bad idea?

From a consumer perspective:

Buy one game
    All big game changes (usually for super etc) are free to download
    All additional characters (which you would of had to buy with the new version) can now be got through playing the game or purchasing separately.
    The online player base isn't broken up.

That sounds like a much better model than buying 3-4 versions of essentially the same game.

tok9 wrote: »
    Could someone help me understand why people think the new model is a bad idea?

From a consumer perspective:

Buy one game
    All big game changes (usually for super etc) are free to download
    All additional characters (which you would of had to buy with the new version) can now be got through playing the game or purchasing separately.
    The online player base isn't broken up.

That sounds like a much better model than buying 3-4 versions of essentially the same game.

It's a matter of perspective.

If you're a casual SF player, it's essentially the same game, and this is a good idea I guess.

If you're experienced, the smallest changes to a character open up huge changes in strategy and mindset. Having a solid build set in stone for 1 year to 18 months between changes leads to more interesting strats getting developed as characters are exploited to the maximum degree.

If you're an experienced player, you also NEED to have all the characters unlocked. You need to be able to access them in training mode in order to explore being able to fight against them.

If you're a tournament player, you also need to have every character unlocked and easily accessible for your machine to be of any use at a tourney.

So, for those reasons, a standardised disk release is mad handy. Bear in mind- casual people tend not to buy any release but the first anyway, but moan intensely about them. Can't blame Capcom for checking if they'll buy if they change the structure, but it's not a black and white good thing for everyone- especially if in order to buy all the characters well end up paying out over the odds, which we haven't in the past (each subsequent SFIV release has been significantly cheaper than the last).

Bear in mind: There's no info on cost or anything. If the cost is spread around more people- happy days! This COULD be great. I'm just not being optimistic/pessimistic with no foundation.

I personally like the new model, but reading on some fighting game forums I'm already seeing posts like.

Capcom are lying they will release a new update 6 months down the line anyway.

Capcom will make sure you have to grind for too long to get anything free so you will still have to pay for new content. Also DLC characters will be OP forcing you to buy them if you want to remain competitive. The game will be pay to win.

Capcom is not releasing the full game at release. The rooster size is too small. In game currency does not belong in any game you pay full price for.
    And general complaints against any form of DLC in gaming. Releasing DLC/version updates is milking gamers.

No matter what way they go, it will be twisted by many gamers in general into something negative.. The hardcore fans of the series never had any major gripes with the old model and will almost certainly have no problem with the new model either. As one of the fans of the series, its a bit irritating to constantly see posts by casual players saying we are suckers being milked by Capcom.

No matter what way they go, it will be twisted by many gamers in general into something negative.. The hardcore fans of the series never had any major gripes with the old model and will almost certainly have no problem with the new model either. As one of the fans of the series, its a bit irritating to constantly see posts by casual players saying we are suckers being milked by Capcom.

In SFIV vanilla myself and my housemate put in about 700 hours of play.

In the subsequent, cheaper releases, that's probably tripled.

I've also attended several international tournaments. Hundreds at home. Casuals sessions. Meet ups in pubs. Watched thousands of hours or awesome streams.

All of which revolved around this fun little game that could.

If anything, given the fun to cost ratio I get out of other games, I owe capcom about 3 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

It certainly didn't shut up the guy in the #irishfightinggames IRC channel who spent ages trying to convince us that this was a disaster, that we were being milked like never before, etc. etc., all because we had the option of paying real money to unlock content.

Having said that, it's rather depressing that being told that paying for a full price game means getting a full price game is considered a win, but compared to most other videogames in recent years a win it most definitely is.

• Advertisement

Small roster is a good thing. I dont know why people are complaining about that.

You are better off starting with a small list of extensively tested and tuned fighters...... and then slowly expanding with worthwhile characters ....rather than trying to lump in 50 characters at launch. You end up with boring clones padding the roster and unbalanced fighters.

Small roster initially is good in my book.

Yreval wrote: »
    It certainly didn't shut up the guy in the #irishfightinggames IRC channel who spent ages trying to convince us that this was a disaster, that we were being milked like never before, etc. etc., all because we had the option of paying real money to unlock content.

I really don't get how anyone can say this is a good OR a bad thing til we know just how much grinding will be needed for chars.

The fact that they'll be available for free in any way is good indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Kirby wrote: »
    Small roster is a good thing. I dont know why people are complaining about that.

You are better off starting with a small list of extensively tested and tuned fighters...... and then slowly expanding with worthwhile characters ....rather than trying to lump in 50 characters at launch. You end up with boring clones padding the roster and unbalanced fighters.

Small roster initially is good in my book.

I'm a fan of a bigger roster personally, but then I'm quite a casual SF player... I wouldn't be overly technical but I do love the dynamics of the system.

I find with a small roster it gets a tad repetitive. (although for more serious gamers I guess that's the point.... Practice makes perfect etc)

.ak wrote: »
    I'm a fan of a bigger roster personally, but then I'm quite a casual SF player... I wouldn't be overly technical but I do love the dynamics of the system.

I find with a small roster it gets a tad repetitive. (although for more serious gamers I guess that's the point.... Practice makes perfect etc)

Street Fighter always has this problem balancing between the casuals and the hardcore.

For a casual player, of course more is better! Different characters, more content, all gravy.

For the competitive player, every new character is a new match up to be learned and analysed and figured out. also, a new chance to throw the entire games balance out of whack (although to be fair, Capcom are usually excellent at mitigating that).

To me, the numbers they're saying sound good. 16 is a good amount to learn at the start; a drip feed later will probably mitigate the impact of new characters (although will lead to different issues around tournaments- do you make new characters legal immediately, or wait til the community tests them?)

Of course, there's more casual players than there are hardcore. I'd bet the hardcore spend more and do more for promotion though. I can, frankly, imagine this situation being a massive pain in the arse for them :D

a new chance to throw the entire games balance out of whack (although to be fair, Capcom are usually excellent at mitigating that).

Yun and Arcade edition says hi. :P

Though yes, you are mostly correct.

Kirby wrote: »
    Yun and Arcade edition says hi. :P

Though yes, you are mostly correct.

Capcom made Yun and Yang overpowered on purpose in order to "foster community and competitive spirit!".

Well that sure as sh*t backfired but at least they fixed them in a free patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

When is the beta out. I havnt played a street fighter in years, probably the last iteration of 2, super duper turbo exotic edition or whatever it was called

It starts on the 23rd but in Europe its invite only.

Man its not that hard to remember the names of SF 2 games :pac:

Street Fighter 2 The World Warrior
    Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo Hyper Fighting (better known as Street Fighter 2 Turbo in Japan)
    Super Street Fighter 2 The New Challengers
    Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (named Super Street Fighter 2 X: Grand Master Challenge in Japan)
    Hyper Street Fighter 2 The Anniversary Edition
    Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix

This doesn't include the unofficial bootleg releases.

Street Fighter 2: Rainbow Edition
    Street Fighter 2: Kouryu Edition

Can't believe this isn't thought in schools.

Champion edition is known as Dash in Japan, and hyper (also known as turbo) is known as special champion edition on the megadrive.

Can't see where all this confusion comes from myself :D

• Advertisement

Hyper wasn't called Special Champion Edition in Japan on the Mega Drive.
    It was Street Fighter 2' Plus: Champion Edition.

Also Kouryu Edition is also called Koryu Edition.

Doom I'm afraid for omitting this critical bit of gaming trivia you have failed the fighting game community in Ireland, its time for The Long Walk for you.

Advertisement