Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

thinking of a change

• 05-12-2014 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of changing the SV for a dedicated touring bike for my commute. The SV is fine, nice punchy motor, reasonable handling, reliable, but, the tiny tank range is annoying (i commute 100+km per day) and the lack of weather protection is a nuisance. I previously had a pan european (st1100) and it was perfect for the commute. I would seriously consider one again. is there anything else out there that is similar to the pan that would be up for 500 km per week in all weathers that didnt involve me having to stop at petrol stations all the time! Not sure on budget but I would imagine about 4k max.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

FJR, slightly over your max but not way over.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/fjr-1300/8046938

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

cheers guys. I've been researching and looking at RTs. They seem to appear in good nick with low miles well within budget. Anything to look out for on them? I suppose get a spin on one first to get a feel for the boxer engine and the weirdo suspension. I'm not a huge fan of yamahas for some reason.

I would need to shift the SV first tho....

lennymc wrote: »
    cheers guys. I've been researching and looking at RTs. They seem to appear in good nick with low miles well within budget. Anything to look out for on them? I suppose get a spin on one first to get a feel for the boxer engine and the weirdo suspension. I'm not a huge fan of yamahas for some reason.

I would need to shift the SV first tho....
    Rode my BIL's RT once, felt very strange. Skinny little forks and the bike felt like a whale.
    Not my Cuppa but hey thats the joy of choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Clutch input splines, rear drives, Hall effect sensor, throttle cables and balance of throttle bodies all things to look at on the rt's what put me off was there is no warning on the input spline issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Rode my BIL's RT once, felt very strange. Skinny little forks and the bike felt like a whale.
    Not my Cuppa but hey thats the joy of choice.

Doesn't use forks - uses Telelever wishbones, so stanchion sizes are moot.

I've had about........15?...'Oilheads' as they call them.

The list above is good - on the 1150RT you can add the Servo brake system as a possible fubar. And if it goes awol, you either fix them (€2k), or modify to dump them (cheap). When they're working though, they're fab.

Rear drive bearings failures not unheard of.

Me, if a bullet proof winter hack, and going back in the years, the old 'brick' K's are bulletproof, and cheap to run. K75RT or Ultima's are about the peak of them. Weather protection is top class, even compared to the newer bikes. K100/K1100 are similar, but add weight...........As with any old BMW, check the clutch. Clutch change on an RT is €€€€. Big job.

If a modern bike, and I have occasion to ride an ST1100 when I'm rota'd to do so, but I'm not a fan of it. Too heavy, weight in the wrong place, riding position old (1990's). The 09 Dullville is a much nicer bike to ride (admittedly gutless).

I'd be tempted by one of these tbh: http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2006-bmw-f-800-st-abs/8237292

Me, I'm just trying to avoid chains & sprockets if doing a lot of miles... :)

Good weather protected mid-size bikes are thin on the ground. How about a DL1000 ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

thanks for that serious3 and galwaytt. Great feedback - really appreciated. Ideally I would like something with a shaft drive that is bulletproof. A potential drive problem that doesn't give any warning has put be right off the BMWs, which is a pity as the rest of the RT bike looks perfect. I just couldn't see me on a Dulville. I think I would rather walk or poke myself in the eye or something. I really really hate them. ugh. I feel dirty now just even thinking about them. As mentioned above, I did have a pan previously and I think it's top of my list at the moment. I didn't find the weight to be a problem at low speeds, filtering or on twisties. I found it handled surprisingly well, with good luggage etc. The only time it got a bit squirrelly was two up on some twisty twisty back roads when riding enthusiastically, but it was predictable and never felt on the edge. I also liked the storage and tank range. I'm on the SV at the moment and have absolutely zero interest in riding fast, or cutting edge sports bike handling or any of that stuff. That is well out of my system now. I guess I want something sensible again for doing lots and lots of miles in all weathers that will last for a long long time, and that can be maintained relatively easily at home. I must be getting old :)
    Anyone any experience of the newer st1300? Does the ST1300 have belts or cam driven timing?
    I must also take a look at the FJR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Going from an SV your gonna be bored if you dont get another twin.
    Just save all this hassle and get a Vstrom. I went from my sv1000 to a vstrom 1000 and its way more comfortable and every bit as fun as the sv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

RT for sure. Great weather protection. Just get a full service history, should keep you safe

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Ducati 899, a great commuter bike and a twin.

• Advertisement

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Ducati 899, a great commuter bike and a twin.

is there a top box available for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My bike (R1000S) shares many similarities with the RT.

I've had it almost three years and have put up over 30k in that time, I'd have to view the clocks so I won't guess my mileage right now.

But in that time my drive shaft crown bearing failed (€280 from Joe Duffys). And my choke cable failed at the junction box with the throttle cable ~ easy job I thought, noooooooooo it cost me €230 from Joe Duffys. And believe me if I can do a job I'll do it myself rather than run back to BMW.

Outside of those things I love the bike, its got a great little motor, lots of room for a passenger and lots of options to carry luggage.

The ABS can give a little trouble, mine had to go for a BMW reset until I discovered how to reset it myself.

If you're thinking of buying a BMW and you're in or near Dublin DO NOT use Joe Duffys unless its an emergency, their Motorrad people are dickheads. Both jobs I had done on my bike required the bike going back for their mechanics to rectify problems they'd created.

Last week I was going to write up a review of my experiences with Joe Duffys Motorrad for the forum, I'll get around to it sometime. In the meantime based only on my own experiences my advice would be to avoid them at all costs, complete dicks to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

funnily enough my dad had the st1300 and chopped it after 3yrs for a 1200rt...... that said he found that the pan was comfy, handled real good (no chicken strips either side!) was good on juice,48mpg if i recall, passenger wise i prefer his 1200rt, riding wise i prefer the st1300 as theres no clunky ponderous gearchange or wierd rocking from the twin...... st1300 are capable of serious mileage and the only thing i could dig up when considering one was early ones suffered a bit with electrical gremlins due to a slightly short wiring loom around the head area

After over 10 years of owning bmw and buying a brand new bike off them I think I'll be agreeing with makikomi. I wouldn't go anywhere near joe duffy. Crazy money for bog standard work. Would put me off owning a bmw after dealing with them.

Cienciano wrote: »
    After over 10 years of owning bmw and buying a brand new bike off them I think I'll be agreeing with makikomi. I wouldn't go anywhere near joe duffy. Crazy money for bog standard work. Would put me off owning a bmw after dealing with them.

Horrible people to deal with.

It took them two days to fit a choke cable (after telling me it would take two hours), it also cost me two days annual leave.

After getting the bike back I'd to return it to have their mechanics work fixed ~ tbh it looked like a crashed bike, none of the panels they'd removed fit, my front right indicator wasn't working and there was some kind of lubricant all over the clocked, switch gear and fairing.

331399.jpg

331400.jpg

I've more photos to download, mostly the wiring loom hanging out of the fairing.. I noticed this on returning home (after having the panels and lub tidied up).. I decided it was easier to cable tie them up myself.

I could go on about these pricks, needless to say unless I've absolutely no choice I'd avoid them like the plague.

I love my bike, its got a great engine. Its great craic, its got tonnes of room for all day two up riding, with luggage.. A little heavy on petrol, but easy on tires and no chain :)

That said, I almost can't wait to get back to owning a Jap bike again ~ and mostly all to do with my experiences with Joe Duffy Motorrad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Complain to BMW about them??

Scrap the cap!

Where are Joe Duffys mechanics from? Are they trained on bikes or are they car mechanics that have done a BMW approved Motorrad mechanics course?
    Because if that is the standard of BMW these days its not acceptable at all.
    I would be writing to BMW Ireland and copying it to the head office in the Fatherland as well. How could a rider have any confidence in them to do work on braking systems with workmanship like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

That's some shocking stuff there! If it was a little oil here and a slight gap fair enough but those pictures, how can they give that back to a client its so obvious.

That's pretty poor stuff alright makikomi! Thankfully I am handy enough when it comes to servicing, and have an enclosed garage and a large selection of tools, along with a friendly local bike shop/mechanic whose brain I can pick when I need to.

I've been thinking about it some more, and i think I am going to go for a pan. Big question now is the 1100 or the 1300. Also need to figure out how to pay for it :)

I have done, to no avail. Not even a reply to acknowledge my complaint.

Ans sure last week the keys were given back to me without an apology with a "thats fixed" and the mechanic just turned on his heels and left.

Well f*ck you Joe Duffy Motorrad, a giant F*CK YOU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Platinum Motorcycles in Bray are qualified BMW mechanics & I've heard nothing but good stories about them although I haven't used them myself.

http://www.platinummotorcycles.ie/website/

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Platinum Motorcycles in Bray are qualified BMW mechanics & I've heard nothing but good stories about them although I haven't used them myself.

Only heard about them last week (in Joe Duffys, and from another disgruntled customer). I'll be looking them up for any further work which I can not tackle myself.

Thanks all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Ye won't go far wrong with a Pan, the 1100 is still one of the best, most comfortable and able bikes on the market. Plenty around under €3k at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Mesrine65 wrote: »

Yep, have been getting my bike looked after there (when it needs it) for the last number of years and have found it a far better experience than JD, or Platinum's neighbours up the road in Fassaroe.

I've had my GS12 for almost 10 years now (just shy of 100k on the clock), and every once in a while, my mind will wander, and I'll consider getting a different bike. Then I get back onto the GS and all is well with the world. I know they don't have the best reputation, but I've found little to fault with my own, beyond the usual consumables and a couple of known issues (fuel pump controller). It makes for a great commuter and would fit the budget (for an 04/05), but a pan does sound like a great option for that kind of commute.

I've done that before and had success. Tried to get almost a grand off me for extras on a new bike that apparently I didnt pay for. I never got a written receipt after I put the deposit on the bike. I was pissed off, but complained to BMW Ireland and the next day the salesman rang me and told me he "found" the receipt. :rolleyes:
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    Where are Joe Duffys mechanics from? Are they trained on bikes or are they car mechanics that have done a BMW approved Motorrad mechanics course?
    Because if that is the standard of BMW these days its not acceptable at all.
    I would be writing to BMW Ireland and copying it to the head office in the Fatherland as well. How could a rider have any confidence in them to do work on braking systems with workmanship like that?

I know one and tbh there's not many people in the country I'd rather have working on my bike. Very good mechanic. But you could get someone else that doesn't have a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭dubdamo

goodlad wrote: »
    Going from an SV your gonna be bored if you dont get another twin.
    Just save all this hassle and get a Vstrom. I went from my sv1000 to a vstrom 1000 and its way more comfortable and every bit as fun as the sv.

I'm looking at a vstrom 1000 myself, I figure with a scottoiler or tutoro chain oiler fitted the chain won't be too much hassle, cheaper to fix as well if something goes wrong. Was looking into a boxer but they do seem to suffer with a lot of issues, the vstrom, if it gets regular oil changes apparently runs forever.

gave the sv a good going over over christmas, and there are one or two small issues that need to be sorted, but apart from that it is now running really well, so I think I am going to keep it and maybe do a track day or two. No doubt I will change my mind again next week.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 aido43

Couldn't agree more about Joe Duffys--the salesmen are the dimmest Ive ever met. They are afflicted with the BMW attitude--take it or just piss off in addition to a complete lack of knowledge of bikes.--have heard some of the cage mechanics are pressed into service on bikes with no idea what theyre doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Fergus.

Only heard about them last week (in Joe Duffys, and from another disgruntled customer). I'll be looking them up for any further work which I can not tackle myself.

Thanks all the same.

Blood Bike Leinster get their 3xRT1200 Blood Bikes services by Mark in Platinum motorcycles great guy and knows his stuff, he is based at hills garage in bray.

• Advertisement
Advertisement