Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daughter (8) wants ears pierced, where to go?

• 05-12-2014 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Hey,

daughter 8 wants her ears pierced for her communion in May. I was wondering does anyone know of a place in Dublin that would do it, but not with a gun.

I know Snakebite wont do it until she is 14. I am also open to doing it ourselves, can anyone recommend where to buy the equipment?

Thanks,

Branners

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Dont do it yourself.......... So much to go wrong!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭branners69

gregers85 wrote: »
    Dont do it yourself.......... So much to go wrong!!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JDM Jack

You could try a reputable tattoo parlour, I've got my tragus and helix pierced in one and everything went perfect. I was under 17 and I had to have a parent, so I'm not sure if 8 is too young but considering it's a girl and it's much more common among girls, it's worth a try.

JDM Jack wrote: »
    You could try a reputable tattoo parlour, I've got my tragus and helix pierced in one and everything went perfect. I was under 17 and I had to have a parent, so I'm not sure if 8 is too young but considering it's a girl and it's much more common among girls, it's worth a try.

I tried Snakebite where I have gotten a couple of piercings from but they only pierce 14 and over.

Was hoping someone could recommend somewhere so I could avoid ringing around.

I think most people use places like Claire's Accessories (who use a gun) but I want her to get it done with a needle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ah just do it yourself, be grand sure :rolleyes:

Seriously, don't do it yourself.

Ring around every piercing studio in Dublin and see if they'll do it. It's the only way you'll know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

What is wrong with getting them done with the gun ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

heldel00 wrote: »

Everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Adiboo wrote: »
    Everything.

Could you be a bit more specific?

^^^ I have my ears pierced with the gun. As does everyone in my family and iv yet to see any of them with disfigured, horrific ear piercings! (Although my sister always wear her hair down. Haven't seen her ears in years. Maybe she's harbouring a gruesome piercing secret!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Well to start off, there is no way to sterilize a piercing gun. It's cross contamination central. Blood spores everywhere.

Secondly, it uses blunt force trauma to the tissue to insert the jewellery.

Thirdly, the jewellery used is sub-standard, cheap **** that should be nowhere near your body.

Read more here - http://www.safepiercing.org/piercing/faq/#guns

• Advertisement

The little stud jewellery comes in plastic with a protective sealant on the front of the pack so I'd have thought they were fairly ok??? Could be wrong though. Just never heard any issues with gun before.

(Could I also add as bit of advice to the OP that at least 4 times in this school year I have had little girls up complaining to me about sore ears. When I take a look for them to see what's wrong, they all have very pretty little earrings on but the "stem" of the earring is too short and the earring is dug into their earlobe. Very very sore. Earring usually ends up having to be taken out by parent and ear closes up while they wait for it to heal. The oldschool style of simple little stud never seems to cause a problem.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

^^^ I have my ears pierced with the gun. As does everyone in my family and iv yet to see any of them with disfigured, horrific ear piercings! (Although my sister always wear her hair down. Haven't seen her ears in years. Maybe she's harbouring a gruesome piercing secret!!!)

I've had mine done three times, each time with a gun - no problems - except I'm approaching middle age with two extra holes in my ears :(

Got them done the first time when I was 12 in the local chemist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Adiboo wrote: »
    Well to start off, there is no way to sterilize a piercing gun. It's cross contamination central. Blood spores everywhere.

Secondly, it uses blunt force trauma to the tissue to insert the jewellery.

Thirdly, the jewellery used is sub-standard, cheap **** that should be nowhere near your body.

Read more here - http://www.safepiercing.org/piercing/faq/#guns

I haven't got a piercing in yrs but I got my first 3 with a gun and they where fine but on my 4th the trauma of the puncture caused a large keloid growth on my ear! very unsightly! luckily it formed on the back of my ear so could only be seen from behind so if people where staring I couldn't see :P:P but I had to go to a dermatologist to get rid of it (which was by no means cheap or covered on my VHI) and almost ten yrs later the growth is gone but the scar is still visible! After that I would always recommend needle to gun to anybody!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP try clairies. I don't know what age you have to be. But my sister was young when she got them since there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

hfallada wrote: »
    OP try clairies. I don't know what age you have to be. But my sister was young when she got them since there

They use one of those awful piercing 'guns'

Okay, I'll make this as simple as possible!

1) Want 8 year old ears pierced without a gun.

2) Don't want to be apart of gun vs needle debate, open your own thread!

3) I don't need parenting advice, if I want a lecture I can p!ss off the wife for one!

4) So if you don't know anywhere that will pierce an 8 year old without a gun or where I can buy the equipment, please feel free to jog on!

Thanks,

Branners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Branners, that's a pretty nasty attitude you're showing when a few people have offered advice to you.

As to your query - you could try Dublin Ink and Connected Ink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

I saw a toddler getting her ears pierced in Claires so...

I saw a toddler getting her ears pierced in Claires so...

Claires will pierce any age, but use a gun, which the OP doesn't want being used on his kid :)

Branners, that's a pretty nasty attitude you're showing when a few people have offered advice to you.

As to your query - you could try Dublin Ink and Connected Ink

Actually Jingle_Balls out of 16 or so replies, only one person who I thanked (
    JDM_Jack) gave sound advice! The rest gave nanny state parenting advice, didn't read my op or had a needle vs gun debate! So my nasty attitude as you call it is well justified.

Thanks for the second part of your post which is useful, it looks like I will just have to ring around.

• Advertisement

Gregers advised you not to do it yourself. That's not parenting lessons, it's very sound advice!

As to the rest - people were wondering about guns. Many people do, because not many know how gross and nasty guns are. Surely you, who doesn't want your child pierced with a gun, should be happy that others are learning that guns are bad and needles are good?

branners69 wrote: »
    4) So if you don't know anywhere that will pierce an 8 year old without a gun or where I can buy the equipment, please feel free to jog on!

Jog on yourself Branners.
    This is the way boards.ie works. Conversations develop.

Jog on yourself Branners.
    This is the way boards.ie works. Conversations develop.

And you know this after 84 posts, haha!

Now back on post people please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

branners69 wrote: »
    And you know this after 84 posts, haha!

Now back on post people please!

I know it after many posts.

Don't backseat mod, this is one of the basic rules of the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

When my daughter was 4 she asked if she could get her ears pierced. I should her videos on Youtube on how a piercer in a parlour would do it. I explained the difference between needled and guns.
    Instead of it putting her off she was mad excited to get in done in a tattoo parlour.
    Brought her to Bullmans in Limerick and even the piercer in there, I think his name was Stuart, was chuffed doing it as she was the young person he ever pierced!!!
    She still tells all her friends how she got to go to a tattoo place to get her ears done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Claires will pierce any age, but use a gun, which the OP doesn't want being used on his kid :)

Ah, right, I somehow overlooked that, thanks.

OP I'd have phoned around if peoples answers were annoying me that much.

Spoke to one of the owners of snakebite last night (he's a friend) and he said that to his recollection, no studio will pierce anyone under 14, even with a parent.

Maybe tell her she has to wait, unless you're willing to go with a gun.

Advertisement