Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay As you go 40cent Charge

Options
  • 05-12-2014 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

I have a Pay as you go Meter and was wondering the only place offering payment is now charging people 20-40cent fees 

I want to know how do i get the Meter back to the Old Way by paying in the Post Office or by DD. Dont see why i should have to pay higher Traffic Rates and ontop of that an extra 40cent 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi niamh.foley,

Thanks for your post. If you send us your details by private message (including your full name, address, contact number and confirmation that you are the account holder) and any details relating to the shop in question we can look into this for you. We can confirm that outlets shouldn't be charging extra for top-ups.

We're finished up here at 6 for the weekend but will look into your query asap on Monday morning. Our customer service line 1850 372 372 is open 8am - 8pm Mon-Sat.

Thanks,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

Hi niamh.foley,

Thanks for your post. If you send us your details by private message (including your full name, address, contact number and confirmation that you are the account holder) and any details relating to the shop in question we can look into this for you. We can confirm that outlets shouldn't be charging extra for top-ups.

We're finished up here at 6 for the weekend but will look into your query asap on Monday morning. Our customer service line 1850 372 372 is open 8am - 8pm Mon-Sat.

Thanks,
    David
    Ok why do you need my Full Name and Address ? i have no problem telling you the Shop thats is in Question but i dont see the logic in me giving you my Details.

You told me that, they should not charge a serivce charge for pay as you go, i just find it funny that the person told me it was Electric Ireland that brought this in, i said its a disgrace and she agreed with me.. 

to me its becoming just like when you top up your mobile phone, shops are looking at more ways to make you part with money.. i find this a serious issue if shops are exploiting people that are on meters either they were in debt and had no choice or they are renting. 

And if this is the case that each shop can implement a policy to choose to charge or not to charge a service charge should be highlighted to customers. and shops shouldnt lie to customers saying it is Electirc Ireland that implement this charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hello again,

We can advise that a charge for topping up at a retailer is not an Electric Ireland charge - we regret any confusion.

To change from PAYG to standard meter, the PAYG meter would need to be removed - this is why we require your Electric Ireland account details.
    We would also need to note on your account your query to us in relation to the shop.

Regards,
    Una

Hello again,

We can advise that a charge for topping up at a retailer is not an Electric Ireland charge - we regret any confusion.

To change from PAYG to standard meter, the PAYG meter would need to be removed - this is why we require your Electric Ireland account details.
    We would also need to note on your account your query to us in relation to the shop.

Regards,
    Una
    ok its not an charge on your behalf..

but are shops allowed to be charging extra for top-ups. Also whats the Cost in getting a Standard meter in ?

PM Sent With Details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi again Niamh,

We would just be able to advise in relation to a charge for an Electric Ireland top-up - thanks for alerting us to it.

To change from PAYG to billing does not incur a fee - the customer's balance just has to be at 0 by the end of three billing periods.

We will pick up your private message ASAP.

Regards,
    Una

Just to keep you updated the Shop is still charging for Top ups..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭EI: Aoife O

Hi there,

Thank you for getting in touch and updating us. We will pass on this information to the relevant department for follow up.

If there's anything further we can assist you with, do let us know.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Hiya.  I am a shopkeeper and noticed this thread.  The charge is indeed levied by the shop to offset the costs of the transaction.  Off the top of my head, I get 19c for processing your transaction.  If you put 50 euro on your card, I pay 50c per hundred in bank charges, in other words, 25c in fees.  Then some people attempt to pay by visa debit which costs as well!

It doesn't take an Einstein to work out I lose money on that transaction, and thats before I pay the staff member to serve you or pay the 15 euro rental fee for the actual machine.

As times have got tighter, these charges have come in at a store level as the shops can no longer absorb these charges.  ESB, GAS, whoever, will just say, "its wrong, shouldn't be happening" report it etc etc.  Unfortunately, its the way forward.  I was threatened by a provider that they would withdraw the service from my terminal, but a complaint to the competition authority for price fixing made them withdraw.

I hope this clarifies the issue you are having.

Advertisement