Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Sale (Christmas, 2014 Edition)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Falthyron wrote: »
    Ah sure, it's only a euro... :pac:

And sure loads of stuff that I want is only X amount, a euro here, 3 euro there. If I picked up every one I wanted that was only so much, I'd have quite a stack of games that'd be only added to the backlog. I see The Stanley Parable is on today's daily, which is one I've really wanted to play, but I'm asking myself, am I going to play this right away? And the answer is no, so I'm skipping it.

Seriously adamant that I'm not just adding to the backlog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I picked up A Bird Story there. The whole "it's only one hour long" thing, along with all the feels of To The Moon pushed me into getting it. Dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

finally bought something, the newer wolfy :)

I've been waiting for Wolfenstein to go on sale and... well, I was kinda hoping 75% off for it. I had actually kinda budgeted expecting it'd be €12.49. I set a budget of €20 for the sale, so at €16.99 it's going beyond my budget. It was the main game I planned to get this sale, now I'm half thinking I'll skip it :o damn, feeling really conflicted.

just do what i did, watch the trailers for it on the store page and succumb to the flagrant hype :)

or, allow me..

nowhere to run..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Just bought my 2nd game of the sale, Battleblock Theater for €1.49 - paid for it out of my Steam wallet, so at least 1/2 of the price covered by selling the trading cards received for voting in the daily community choice thing!

I'm also being extremely strict with regard not buying to add to the backlog; the sale games will be on sale again in a few months, the only difference may be a lower price. Almost pulled the trigger on a load of games from my wishlist - Transistor, Torchlight II, Lego Marvel Super Heroes, Banished, Kingdoms of Amalur, Darksiders II, Endless Legend, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Thief and Wolfenstein - but have to be honest with myself; I've enough great games unplayed from previous sales, gotta show some restraint at some point, stop buying new ones and actually try to play some I've had for the past few years! Easy to say, hard to do... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Links234 wrote: »
    I've been waiting for Wolfenstein to go on sale and... well, I was kinda hoping 75% off for it. I had actually kinda budgeted expecting it'd be €12.49. I set a budget of €20 for the sale, so at €16.99 it's going beyond my budget. It was the main game I planned to get this sale, now I'm half thinking I'll skip it :o damn, feeling really conflicted.
    If you prefer the FPS of old with no health regen, no stupiod cover systems and FPS with a great story and decent/very good gfx then get it, i finished it a few months ago and is probably my GOTY, fantastic game, well worth the asking price.

Honestly, I don't need anyone to talk me into Wolfenstein, I do seriously want it ;)

I had quite a few playthroughs of Return to Castle Wolfenstein way back when, and I was even wondering what the hell happened with Death's Head after he escaped, so I was hyped to see a sequel on the way. It really was pretty much the main game I was hoping to get this sale, been in my wishlist since May. :o I'm just unsure now, I had a budget and I know it'll be cheaper again so I won't fret having skipped it this sale. But on the other hand, yes I really do want to play it. I got what, another 44 hours to decide if I wanna buy it right now?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That trailer just made me buy it :o

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,240 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Heard mixed things about it but loved To The Moon so much I grabbed A Bird Story there, only purchase of the sale so far and paid for entirely by selling trading cards :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So far for me:

Vanishing of Ethan Carter
    BF Bad Company 2 and Vietnam expansion
    Wolfenstein:New Order
    Shadow Warrior

All for about €36 so fairly happy so far,have another €14 in steam wallet if anything else comes up that i fancy.
    I think the sale has seemed underwhelming most days but taken as a whole has been quite good imo,some good bargains among the weaker ones over the course of the whole sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

ionapaul wrote: »
    but have to be honest with myself; I've enough great games unplayed from previous sales, gotta show some restraint at some point, stop buying new ones and actually try to play some I've had for the past few years! Easy to say, hard to do... :(
    Or..

..use that as an excuse to buy them at such a low prices :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Too many early access games in the sale for my liking. Not a big fan of early access, if I put a lot of time into the game I won't come back to it once it's finished and in a much better state so would rather wait and get the full experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I see The Stanley Parable is on today's daily, which is one I've really wanted to play, but I'm asking myself, am I going to play this right away? And the answer is no, so I'm skipping it.

You'd have every part of this completed in less than 4 hours. It's short. Even taking your time. Go on, get it...

Kiith wrote: »
    That trailer just made me buy it :o

Haha, awesome! :D
    Monotype wrote: »
    You'd have every part of this completed in less than 4 hours. It's short. Even taking your time. Go on, get it...

Doesn't matter, I'm still not getting it. I'm seriously dedicated to not adding to that backlog. I passed up quite a lot of stuff I've wanted already, came very close to buying Shadow Warrior, and I'm glad I didn't. Not because I think it's a bad game or anything, I know I'd like it and I'd really have a lot of fun, if I played it. I'm really sticking to my guns on this one, and justifying buying something to myself by saying oh it's only a couple of odd euro or it's only short, that'd just end up with me getting more stuff I'm not playing. If I'm not sure I'm going to play it right away, I'm not getting it, simple as. It's also why I've given myself such a strict budget this sale too.

Hell, I've already regretted one purchase this sale, Super Meat Boy. I nearly payed nothing for it because of selling a few trading cards, but I regret it, because it's the one thing I've gotten on impulse this sale justifying it myself that it's just silly loose change, so eh, why not? Added to the backlog, instant regret :(

You know what's on my backlog? Spec Ops: The Line, Sleeping Dogs, Alan Wake, The Witcher 1 & 2, Assassins Creed 1 & 2, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dead Space 1 & 2, Torchlight 2, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Dragon Age: Origins, Limbo, Bastion and more! And those are the ones I've not even installed yet! I've still got to finish Bioshock 1, Van Helsing 2, Dark Souls, LA Noire, Far Cry 3, Mirror's Edge, X-Com, both Metro Games, and a couple of others. I'm not beating myself up about those ones, because at least I've got some playtime out of them, you know? If I don't get around to finishing Van Helsing 2 any time soon, no biggie 'cos I got a good 16 hours playtime out of it, at least it was actually played.

Honestly, this has got a bit out of hand, and while I am playing games, it's pretty clear that I've been buying more than I've been playing over the last while. It's not a good deal if I'm just hoarding, and that's kinda what I've been doing. Sorry, I know I've been ranting a bit, but this backlog has actually gotten me down.

But it's also why I'm so happy with Metal Gear Rising, 'cos I'm actually playing it instead of just adding it to the pile of unplayed games. And I got a box! :D Oh my god the nostalgia when I came across that part! I was grinning ear to ear over this, had to take a screenie I was so giddy:

7lqzVka.jpg

MY BOX! :D

F&cking loving this game ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Picked up Mercenary Kings (6.45, been on my wish list for quite a while) and Alice Madness Returns (2.49) to go with Defense Grid: The Awkening (1.49) and Star Wars: Empire at War Gold (5.45)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Would recommend Wolfenstein to anyone thinking of getting it. Best FPS i've played in ages.

I see that it's €16.99 at the moment, 66% off. I got it for €16.50 on Steam the start of December. As people have already commented, shows that the big Christmas/Summer sales don't have the same importance as previously.

Got Rogue Legacy yesterday, really fun game, finding it challenging though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wolfenstein added was hoping g2play would go lower but it didnt so 16.99 on steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

MY BOX! :D

F&cking loving this game ;)

ProTip: Raiden is not the only one who knows that trick ;P

ProTip: Raiden is not the only one who knows that trick ;P

I know, I found someone hiding in a box already :D

• Advertisement

Some nice deals today. I kinda wanted Child of Light for a while, but gonna skip it

wasteland 2 is worth it if you (like me) loved fallout and fallout 2, or even (like me) played the original WL

at least 80 hours of campaign in there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Anyone wanna trade the Tender(9) xmas card for either 1,2,7 or 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Child of light is my GOTY, if you like turn based rpgs buy it!

Nolars wrote: »
    Anyone wanna trade the Tender(9) xmas card for either 1,2,7 or 8.

where do you see numbers on them? I have 2 called tenders can have them both if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

dreamers75 wrote: »
    where do you see numbers on them? I have 2 called tenders can have them both if you want.

If you go into badges and then click on xmas holiday 2014 it will say. Cheers whats ur steam ill add ya.

Nolars wrote: »
    If you go into badges and then click on xmas holiday 2014 it will say. Cheers whats ur steam ill add ya.

3 now kdjac on steam :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ShaneU wrote: »
    Child of light is my GOTY, if you like turn based rpgs buy it!

It's one of the most disappointing games for me. The turn based combat should have been great, what with it being based on Grandia but unlike Grandia it just drags on so long and really slows the pace of the game. Pity because other than the combat being so bloody slow I've no other qualms about it.

Hotline Miami! Get it now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

If anyone is interested in Carmageddon: Reincarnation, I would buy it now while it's in the flash sales. It's the cheapest I've seen it across any site/platform and I've been keeping an eye on it for a while.

From what I've heard, it doesn't contain a lot of content just yet nor is it well optimised (at the moment) but even buying it now for when it's fully release is probably going to be the best option in terms as price as it's probably going to increase when it's out of EA. And I doubt it will get discounted this much again (maybe again for the same price in the summer sale/crimbo sale next year)

Advertisement