Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strike picket outside topaz garage

Options
  • 05-12-2014 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Just passed the topaz garage on dun more road and there is are two chaos with strike /picket placards , does anybody know what that is about .

Comments

most likely to do with irish water and dennis o brien, I think he owns shares in Topaz

there were similar protests in bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

They were at it outside the topaz beside the Yella House a couple of weeks back, I think they were moved on quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

longshanks wrote: »
    They were at it outside the topaz beside the Yella House a couple of weeks back, I think they were moved on quickly enough.

Does he own the guards as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

jayboi wrote: »
    Does he own the guards as well?

probably! or some german guy.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I find this quite sad to be honest protesting about side a Topaz because you don't like the owner and his links to Irish Water.

Like if you don't like Topaz just don't go there at all ...... There is plenty more places where you can get your fuel in waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Like if you don't like Topaz just don't go there at all ...... There is plenty more places where you can get your fuel in waterford.
    I wonder how much the other non-Topaz garages will benefit from this strike picket?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think the protests outside Topaz garages are having some effect even if it's on a minor scale, I know people, my family included who've stopped buying petrol in Topaz and get it elsewhere now. I've also noticed that the forecourts seem quieter too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

funny - those same people probably read the Denin O'Brien owned sunday world, or the indo, or the star. Maybe listen to the Denis O'Brien owned Today FM or Newstalk too.

They'll also be cheering on the Irish soccer team next March, managed by Martin O'Neill whi is paid by a contribution from Denis O'Brien.

Really really stupid people. - Most likely unemployed and scrounging off the state at every opportunity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

delahuntv wrote: »
    funny - those same people probably read the Denin O'Brien owned sunday world, or the indo, or the star. Maybe listen to the Denis O'Brien owned Today FM or Newstalk too.

They'll also be cheering on the Irish soccer team next March, managed by Martin O'Neill whi is paid by a contribution from Denis O'Brien.

Really really stupid people. - Most likely unemployed and scrounging off the state at every opportunity.

It's hilarious! O'Brien owns the company that install Sky & UPC too. Wonder how many of the anti-O'Brien folk cancel these subscriptions and picket outside their HQs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Or maybe they don't, fine big brush with tar you have there. Clown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Sully wrote: »
    It's hilarious! O'Brien owns the company that install Sky & UPC too. Wonder how many of the anti-O'Brien folk cancel these subscriptions and picket outside their HQs?

Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭martin12

What a ignorant post to make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Haters will always hate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I would guess zero... cause that would be the most pointless thing to do....

Canceling your sky subscription will not effect O'Brien... he is a third party vendor for SKy/UPC.... he gets paid to put them in... he is not paid from peoples monthly subscription...so canceling your subscription is pointless and idiotic

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭martin12

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

robtri wrote: »
    I would guess zero... cause that would be the most pointless thing to do....

Canceling your sky subscription will not effect O'Brien... he is a third party vendor for SKy/UPC.... he gets paid to put them in... he is not paid from peoples monthly subscription...so canceling your subscription is pointless and idiotic

That's a load of horse manure! If Sky or UPC go bust that directly impacts his business.

It's the exact same setup as Irish Water and you know it.

Absolutely no point being in denial just because it's something the majority have and wouldn't walk away from to protest against Irish Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

And will they stop drinking water or washing just because O'briens company got the contract to put in the water meters?

I think not.

That's a load of horse manure! If Sky or UPC go bust that directly impacts his business.

It's the exact same setup as Irish Water and you know it.

Absolutely no point being in denial just because it's something the majority have and wouldn't walk away from to protest against Irish Water.

It is the same set up as Irish water, i never said it wasn't.... from a third party vendor point of view... thats where it ends... O'brien is complicit in this Irish Water debacle.... so target his direct business's and only his direct business's is considered fair game by some..

Targeting two companies who are not controlled by O'Brien is idiotic and pointless..

Anyway a boycott is unlikely to have any effect as O'brien has won a lucrative contract to supply petrol to guards, local authorities etc.

• Advertisement

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Anyway a boycott is unlikely to have any effect as O'brien has won a lucrative contract to supply petrol to guards, local authorities etc.

wonder how it got that....
    ehhhh Sully..... wink wink .... brown envelope time
    was it your best buddies FG who helped him get that I wonder.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I thought the pickets outside Topaz in the city was because the stations were charging for water even though they already paid for it.

robtri wrote: »
    It is the same set up as Irish water, i never said it wasn't.... from a third party vendor point of view... thats where it ends... O'brien is complicit in this Irish Water debacle.... so target his direct business's and only his direct business's is considered fair game by some..

Targeting two companies who are not controlled by O'Brien is idiotic and pointless..

Since when was Irish Water controlled by O'Brien? I never understood the logic of harassing the Water Meter installers. With or without a meter, you were getting a bill anyway! The bill would have been cheaper with a meter, and their whole argument is they can't pay so that further through logic out the window.

Irish Water has a contract with O'Brien's company to install the meters.
    Sky & UPC have a contract with O'Brien's company to install their service.

O'Brien has a company that likes to install things. People don't like the idea of paying for water, so decide to try damage his other businesses (there was a petition going around asking Tesco to stop accepting Topaz Fuel Cards) as if somehow this will see Irish Water go out of business and will avoid taxpayers being more for water than it already does. The most it could ever cause is Siteserv to pull out of the water meter installations and someone else to do it instead. Or maybe just no meters at all and a flat rate bill instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

Traumadoc wrote: »

"Won" Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Since when was Irish Water controlled by O'Brien? I never understood the logic of harassing the Water Meter installers. With or without a meter, you were getting a bill anyway! The bill would have been cheaper with a meter, and their whole argument is they can't pay so that further through logic out the window.

Irish Water has a contract with O'Brien's company to install the meters.
    Sky & UPC have a contract with O'Brien's company to install their service.

O'Brien has a company that likes to install things. People don't like the idea of paying for water, so decide to try damage his other businesses (there was a petition going around asking Tesco to stop accepting Topaz Fuel Cards) as if somehow this will see Irish Water go out of business and will avoid taxpayers being more for water than it already does. The most it could ever cause is Siteserv to pull out of the water meter installations and someone else to do it instead. Or maybe just no meters at all and a flat rate bill instead.

I think that most people are upset because it was reported that siteserv had debts of over 100 million that were written off and then the company was sold to O'brien at a price that was reported to be lower than the offer from a French company ( 45 million) .

The same company has made 7 million profit in the first 8 months of this year.

O'Brien should make his money back in 4 years, and should be in a good position the buy Irish water when it goes up for sale.

But people should suck it up because .........thats the way the world works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I am neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I find this quite sad to be honest protesting about side a Topaz because you don't like the owner and his links to Irish Water.

I am with ya but the dumb brigade dont think, just shout cliches and follow the leader

Advertisement