Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternator?

• 05-12-2014 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Stupid me firstly,shameful enough I actually know how to test an alternator but bought a car today and didn't do the test,bit of a whir on the right hand side of the bonnet (from drivers seat) on the way back about 60 mile journey, I thought it'd be an alternator belt or something or other ie small job.got home, turned off engine,locked the car but it didn't lock all doors,which sparked something because just before buying it,that didn't happen,tried to start the car up again and absolutely nothing,no click for the starter...there's a bit of corrosion on top of the battery alright that I noticed but I think but don't know if it's the alternator. I can't jump start til tomorrow as have small kids here now.surprise surprise car came with jump leads! Any further suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Tropheus

You need to get a volt meter on it. If you're not getting close to 14 volts with the engine running then it's the alternator.

Not the end of the world if that's all that's wrong with it.

Advertisement