Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jenkins

Options
  • 05-12-2014 10:39pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone use it? I've downloaded Jenkins, but I'm a little stumped when it comes to using it. Anyone point me in the right direction, so I can make good use of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

What exactly you're looking to use it for/on?

If you're not sure what Jenkin's is. It's a continuous delivery system. You can basically use it as an automated build and deployment tool.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'm intend on contributing to a the new Debian Fork and new to build the project on an ongoing basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Itzy wrote: »
    Anyone use it? I've downloaded Jenkins, but I'm a little stumped when it comes to using it. Anyone point me in the right direction, so I can make good use of it?

I know what you mean. I downloaded it once hoping to improve the build process of some software I was developing and couldn't work out where to start. I ultimately gave up so will be no use to you whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Step1: Can you do your build from a command prompt (windows) or a shell (unix)?
    Step2: Get jenkins to automatically run this when there is a checkin.
    Step3: Do fancy stuff based on results of build, run tests maybe etc.

Start by installing the plugins you need, this makes things a lot easier. What version control system are you using? If git then install the jenkins git plugin. Tell it where your code repository is.

Should get you started. It has a nice web interface and is intuitive enough that you can even get away with not reading the manual.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Well I'm not sure what the best way to build an OS is after developing a few modules. Sure I can run an OS and load a few modules, but applying them as part of a build, I'm not so sure.

• Advertisement

You build an os by building all it's components, then packing it all together. For linux this would mean the kernel and all the userland stuff.

Are you specifically talking about the kernel or what? Getting and building every single binary that makes up a linux distribution is a LOT of compiling!

edit: Ok you say "a few modules". Phew... In that case figure out where the code for these modules "lives". Then I would setup a jenkins build for each seperate module, to be triggered when the relevant code changes.

Can you get new code for these modules via commandline? Can you then build this code? Refer to the codes documentation, probably involves the usual "./configure; make clean; make; make install" or whatever.

Well if you've been looking at the debian fork recently, I want to contribute to the project. I'll see what I need if I work on anything.

Sorry I edited my post above a bit :)

You should probably worry about doing basic stuff like simply compiling before you even think about automation.

True, good point point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Step 1: install Jenkins Chuck Norris plugin
    Step 2: Profit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Jenkins is great. I have it set up to build and run all my stuff, as well as run regression frameworks on the latest successful builds, plug in to static code analysis tools deploy artefacts to nexus and auto deploy in to dev, qa and uat environments.

If you're using agile and plan on iterative releases of the same product it's absolutely amazing.

Once I get something going, I'll put it to good use.

Advertisement