Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard drive to tv

• 05-12-2014 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi

I dont have a smart tv. I want to connect my external harddrive to my tv via hdmi. What device will do this for me. Cheaply
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭tmull

Airmech, I dough that that can be done. What may work is connect the hhd to a pc and stream to the tv with something like Chromecast. If it can be done you are in the right forum to get help. TMULL

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭airmech

I think something like this will do it
    w.amazon.co.uk/Cyclone-Primus-2TB-Media-Player/dp/B004VR83EI/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭andy1249

Any cheap media streamer with hard drive support will do the job.

There are plenty of options , starting at around the 20 pound mark on amazon ,

Makers are
    Sumvision,
    WDTV,
    and many many others.
    Depending on what you have on the hard drive , this unit should work for you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-Micro-Player-Adaptor-black/dp/B0052X04MO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417870933&sr=8-1&keywords=sumvision+cyclone

Personally , I would go for the WDTV , its more expensive , but you get what you pay for , and these units have good support and are solid as a rock.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-WDBPUF0000NBK--EESN-Media-Player/dp/B00KHL6CFE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417871126&sr=1-1&keywords=WDTV#productDetails

Note that these units play media only , check file types for support.
    If you have files bigger than 4GB , then the unit needs to support the NTFS file system.

Avoid units like the Apple TV , Amazon , Now TV etc. Those boxes are nothing more than locked down point of sale systems for their respective companies , and most of the time you cant do anything with them unless you either buy individual titles using them , or commit to a bill !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I've just bought a Smart TV and now I find that almost every Blu-Ray player I think of buying is also Smart and I don't need the feature twice. However the cheapest Smart Blu-Ray player at about €75 has all the same features including a USB socket for recording to a HDD or USB key so would do what the OP wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭airmech

Thanks for reply. I remembered that i have a combo sat/ter that has usb into it for hard drive. So all sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭andy1249

my3cents wrote: »
    I've just bought a Smart TV and now I find that almost every Blu-Ray player I think of buying is also Smart and I don't need the feature twice. However the cheapest Smart Blu-Ray player at about €75 has all the same features including a USB socket for recording to a HDD or USB key so would do what the OP wants.

Every blu ray player since January 2012 has to have Cinavia installed as part of the Blu ray licensing terms and conditions.
    So , if you have your own content ripped to hard drive , or it came from elsewhere , a smart blu ray player may be a bad choice depending on where your hard drive content came from.

Cinavia will stop playback on any cinavia protected title after 20 minutes or so if no disc watermark is detected , etc !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

andy1249 wrote: »
    Every blu ray player since January 2012 has to have Cinavia installed as part of the Blu ray licensing terms and conditions.
    So , if you have your own content ripped to hard drive , or it came from elsewhere , a smart blu ray player may be a bad choice depending on where your hard drive content came from.

Cinavia will stop playback on any cinavia protected title after 20 minutes or so if no disc watermark is detected , etc !

Just bought a cheap sony blu-ray player that will also play from a HDD so will give it a try and see what happens with an obvious "cam" job.

Advertisement