Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ozo/thorntons glass collection

Options
  • 05-12-2014 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

So I renewed our annual contract with ozo just weeks before they sold to thorntons. So far, the two big bins have been emptied fine. But the little glass bin hasn't. I rang last week and was told that it would now be collected with the general waste bin (nice of them to tell us). But it wasn't emptied again this week. Seeing as we paid a (small) fee for this service, it'd be nice to get it. Anyone else any info on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

You can leave your contract with OZO and get a refund from Thorntons. Greenstar collect glass with their recycling.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057324834

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

I've been having the same issue Shazerina! While we're on the topic does anyone know who works out better value: Thorntons or Greenstar? I was with OZO previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

Well when my renewal came in, I found that ozo were still the cheapest. But I'd pay more for a better service.
    How long has this been going on for you, stanley1980?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

My glass hasn't been collected since OZO went. When I rang initially, Thorntons said they were getting another guy to collect the glass but as you know this hasn't happened. I haven't registered with Thorntons but obviously they've taken over from OZO. At what point do I have to sign up with them? (sorry if this is a stupid queston-i'm not too bright!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Greenstar are offering 6 months free to new customers who sign up for 18 months (& guarantee to match competitors pricing for the 12 months after the free period). Our contract with Ozo was up in December anyway, but you may be able to get out of contract with Thorntons seeing as you never signed up with them in the first place.

• Advertisement

Indeed!I never signed up to thorntons. But I prepaid for the year to ozo in October... I might give them until the end of the year to try to fix things?...or am I being too soft?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mrmright

I've been having the same issue Shazerina! While we're on the topic does anyone know who works out better value: Thorntons or Greenstar? I was with OZO previously.

Yep same......was also wondering what is the best value......if I go with greenstar and after 6 months quote a cheaper service am I right in saying they will have to match that price...?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

I switched from Greenstar to OZO a few years ago as they were offering a much cheaper service. I had no problem with OZO and accepted the switch to Thorntons as my contract did not end until this month.
    When I saw the new Greenstar offer (6 months free) I didn't hesitate and went back. I was promised that they would be the cheapest in Wicklow after the 6 month free period expires. This is a great example (and welcome) of a Price War in the waste collection business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Well the price war seems to have killed Ozo's business. It's also not all that efficient or environmentally friendly to have 3 sets of trucks driving down every street every week performing the same function and waking everyone up with the "truck reversing" alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

I rang up when we switched over - I was told to leave the glass bins out on the same Tuesday as they were before (still collected by OZO I think). They've been collected for me each fortnight so far.

So today recycling goes out, next Monday is General waste, the following day is glass collection.

It's far more convenient having three different collection days to remember... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

I'm using thorntons for last couple years. They don't do a glass collection at all. I'd imagine it hasn't been collected with general waste as the staff haven't been informed that they are to take it

Aronaay wrote: »
    I'm using thorntons for last couple years. They don't do a glass collection at all. I'd imagine it hasn't been collected with general waste as the staff haven't been informed that they are to take it

When I rang thorntons about it, they told me it would be collected with the waste bin anymore - that they had arranged with the guy who had done it for ozo to continue doing it... But it didn't happen. Must call them again for the latest update...

I rang up when we switched over - I was told to leave the glass bins out on the same Tuesday as they were before (still collected by OZO I think). They've been collected for me each fortnight so far.

So today recycling goes out, next Monday is General waste, the following day is glass collection.

It's far more convenient having three different collection days to remember... :rolleyes:

Whereabouts are you? (Roughly!)Our collection day changed from Wednesday to Thursday with the takeover. Maybe all the glass collections are happening on the same day?
    I must call them again tomorrow. If they aren't providing the service then I want my €25 back... Better in my pocket than theirs!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

Shazerina wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you? (Roughly!)Our collection day changed from Wednesday to Thursday with the takeover. Maybe all the glass collections are happening on the same day?

I'm in Charlesland Wood. So far I've had 2 glass collections since Thornton's bought out Ozo, both on Tuesdays on their own.

I'm in Charlesland Wood. So far I've had 2 glass collections since Thornton's bought out Ozo, both on Tuesdays on their own.

Thanks. I'm in rathdown pk. And I spoke to them just now... Wednesdays on the waste bin week apparently. So next Wednesday... We shall see...

Shazerina wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm in rathdown pk. And I spoke to them just now... Wednesdays on the waste bin week apparently. So next Wednesday... We shall see...

Glass collected today. Hurrah!!

Advertisement