Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas breakfast ideas!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Last year we did pancakes and bacon. this year freshly baked croissants, rossinis and bacon bagels

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We've never been a Christmas breakfast household, but seeing as we're carving new traditions this year, I think we'll do one. As it happens, we just found black pudding in the butchers up the road, so that will definitely feature!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Faith wrote: »
    We've never been a Christmas breakfast household, but seeing as we're carving new traditions this year, I think we'll do one. As it happens, we just found black pudding in the butchers up the road, so that will definitely feature!

Faith! Did I just hear you mentioned on christmasfm?! :):):)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Faith! Did I just hear you mentioned on christmasfm?! :):):)

Yes :D:D

I found my way to the Christmas forum after hearing them talking about it on Christmas FM. Now I've lost the run of myself!

Faith wrote: »
    Yes :D:D

I found my way to the Christmas forum after hearing them talking about it on Christmas FM. Now I've lost the run of myself!

Whoo whoo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Glass of real champagne and a slice of cake. Maybe coffee too.

Why? Is there fake stuff?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

For me it'll be superquinn sausages and toast and tea, then maybe a can of stout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I always make Dan Lepard's pannatone (sp?) the night before, to have ready for breakfast Christmas morning. Such a nice treat and lovely and light so I don't ruin my dinner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

This year I'll be having a soft poached egg and toast with real butter. I'm pregnant at the moment so can't have soft eggs. Baby will be here by Christmas though so the runnier the better. With that we will have some strong black coffee.

Then for breakfast dessert (which is a real thing on Christmas morning) either chocolate croissant or chocolate brioche and some more coffee with a splash of cream liquor (the 14% kind not the 40%) topped off with whipped cream.

Then a nap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Smoked salmon on brown bread, slices of spiced beef, gin & tonic.

/thread

Replacing champagne for G&T is what we do every year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Tin of Roses usually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

No Cork peeps in here? Our tradition has always been thinly sliced spiced beef, on toast. The spiced beef has been cooking overnight, so it's all warm and delicious (it's eaten cold with the bird later).

Thought everyone did that for years, as all our friends/cousins do the same!

I add a poached egg as well if I'm recovering from a boozy evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

^^^cavan household here but we always have roast beef sammidges on Christmas morn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Just talking my mum through this thread and she's dead excited, thanks everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

This....

And a glass of Bucks Fizz. Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

GastroBoy wrote: »

This....

And a glass of Bucks Fizz. Perfect.

OMG I was just going to post about this!! So weird! That looks amazing but is absolutely off the charts as regards calories....but it's Christmas :D

leahyl wrote: »
    OMG I was just going to post about this!! So weird! That looks amazing but is absolutely off the charts as regards calories....but it's Christmas :D

Tricky bit would be getting fresh croissants on christmas morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

pwurple wrote: »

Was only looking at this yesterday....

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/croissants

Loire.

Loire wrote: »
    Was only looking at this yesterday....

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/croissants

Loire.

Yeah, I've made them before, but it's a lot of faffery for christmas morning. There's some other stuff going on ususally. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

I've found it works best with croissants that are a day or two past their freshest.

• Advertisement

You could buy frozen (raw) ones and bake them fresh yourself in the morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

I'm going to steal that brioche, mushrooms and poached eggs idea. It sounds gorgeous. Kids won't eat mushrooms so they can just have the eggs. I normally do pancakes but they are a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Croissants:

These ready-shaped croissants come in a kind of can. [from chiller cabinet]
    Once you open it they sort of pop out and unwind themselves. You just separate them, place on a baking tray, roll 'em up into crescent shape and into hot oven. Works fine, very useful.

www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=267687286

katemarch wrote: »
    Croissants:

These ready-shaped croissants come in a kind of can. [from chiller cabinet]
    Once you open it they sort of pop out and unwind themselves. You just separate them, place on a baking tray, roll 'em up into crescent shape and into hot oven. Works fine, very useful.

www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=267687286

I'm not a massive fan of those tbh. They don't taste anything like a croissant, and are stuffed full of random ingredients. If something has 40+ ingredients listed on the back, I'm well wary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Make croissants and per whatever recipe you like. Bake some that day to make sure they're ok (very very important quality control step). Freeze the remainder, shaped and raw. Take out of the freezer and leave on a lined tray on the counter over night. Brush with egg and bake as usually in the morning. The overnight proof/defrost step actually works out better than the freshly baked croissants

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CorkClaire82

No Cork peeps in here? Our tradition has always been thinly sliced spiced beef, on toast. The spiced beef has been cooking overnight, so it's all warm and delicious (it's eaten cold with the bird later).

Thought everyone did that for years, as all our friends/cousins do the same!

I add a poached egg as well if I'm recovering from a boozy evening.

I'm from Cork and we've always got spiced beef knocking around. We have it as well as ham (and ox tongue for the parents, I don't like the texture so I avoid it) on Christmas eve cold with cheese and bread and other bits. Then on Christmas morning I'll have a small slice but normally it's smoked salmon and brown bread with a ridiculous amount of tea!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

wuzziwig wrote: »
    I'm going to steal that brioche, mushrooms and poached eggs idea. It sounds gorgeous. Kids won't eat mushrooms so they can just have the eggs. I normally do pancakes but they are a pain in the ass.

This is a nice idea to those who want to do sauteed mushroom on brioche toast with egg on top. The additional garlic parsley oil would be an excellent touch, I might just try it myself this year.

When I was 18 I moved in with my boyfriend and was promptly informed that steak with a full fry up for Christmas breakfast was tradition in his household :P

I think I'll be stealing some recipes from here this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Pancakes, maple syrup & bacon

Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon

Omelettes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Just saw Angeldelight comment on this thread in the cooking club, definitely think they'd be awesome Christmas morning breakfast food!

Advertisement