Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas breakfast ideas!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Just saw Angeldelight comment on this thread in the cooking club, definitely think they'd be awesome Christmas morning breakfast food!

You beat me to it - I was just coming in here to say I'm having the Cooking Club Cinnamon Rolls for breakfast! Will make the dough the night before. Very excited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

You beat me to it - I was just coming in here to say I'm having the Cooking Club Cinnamon Rolls for breakfast! Will make the dough the night before. Very excited!

Hehe. Ah, there I go again trying to steal other people's glory! It is an awesome, awesome sounding Christmas breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Breakfast on Christmas morning (as on any other Saturday/Sunday of the year ;) ) is a very serious affair in my kitchen. Though it depends where I am, if I'm in Germany it's more continental style with different types of bread, bread rolls, croissants, sweet and savoury things to go on the bread, boiled eggs, fruit salad, juice, lots of tea...

At home in Ireland I'd be more into cooking breakfast, i.e. pancakes, anything that involves smoked salmon & eggs, or one of my favourites, these baked eggs ...om nom nom!

Either way, I'm not a huge fan of going completely overboard on the actual Christmas dinner, so breakfast is just as if not even more important ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

A Galaxy selection box is my Christmas morning breakfast tradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

Cinnamon & raisin pancakes with fresh fruit, juice and tea.
    You can add in natural yogurt with some canderal / sugar if you like to sweeten it up.
    I was going for the fry up myself but remembered from the previous year we were so full come dinner time so this is a healthy option instead I will make the pancake mix the night before so no hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Waaaaay back my local superquinn used to do this pastry roulade type thing with sausage meat, pudding and bacon. Used to be able to buy it by the slice and it was divine. Never see it any more so if I get the chance I might try to do it myself as an experiment. If it works lovely but if it doesnt the its eggs, coffee and the mad scramble to get the firstborn to her choir warm up....

The more I think about this the more I think a soft poached egg on top of a thin slice (accompanied by a thicker unadulterated slice) might well be a suitable start to the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I think choosing a breakfast is an art form. Any day. Because some people don't have much appetite first thing, but yet, you do need a bit of nourishment for warmth and energy. So light plus wholesome plus tasty plus easy-to-eat...
    Add Christmas on top of that, meaning festive and not scrimping and not rushing and not working...

such brilliant ideas in this thread! Cinnamon rolls, yeah! Fryup roulade also yeah!
    and luscious smoked salmon and spiced beef!

looking forwards to breakfast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

TrishSimon wrote: »
    Cinnamon & raisin pancakes with fresh fruit, juice and tea.
    You can add in natural yogurt with some canderal / sugar if you like to sweeten it up.
    I was going for the fry up myself but remembered from the previous year we were so full come dinner time so this is a healthy option instead I will make the pancake mix the night before so no hassle.

'Pancake' and 'healthy' do not belong in the same sentence! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

We usually have a brunch feast, no lunch, so we need a good feed before dinner which is usually around 4.

My family are bringing over sausages and pudding which dont exist in this country. So it will be a feast of sausages, pudding, bacon, fried tomatoes, scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, english muffins and fried mushrooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've seen recipes for crockpot French toast on Pinterest and, I have to say, it looks interesting, but would probably be horrible. Some sort of breakfast casserole sounds good to me - bung everything in a dish the night before then just stick it in the oven when you get up.

We've never really had any Christmas traditions in our house other than arguing over whose turn it is to host the grandmother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

kylith wrote: »
    I've seen recipes for crockpot French toast on Pinterest and, I have to say, it looks interesting, but would probably be horrible.

Sounds...chewy? Be interested to give it a go though!

Not sure if I'll be in my mam's place Christmas breakfast time (rashers & toast, big mug of coffee) or in my boyfriend's house (home baked something or other, I'll submit a request, hopefully cinnamon rolls with chocolate chips & also a big mug of coffee). Either way, breakfast will be lovely!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Would crockpot french toast not just be bread and butter pudding? (which is nom nom nom)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tree wrote: »
    Would crockpot french toast not just be bread and butter pudding? (which is nom nom nom)

I think so - it would lack the nice crisp edge bits. I love bread & butter pudding but nobody else in this house would appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

We couldn't manage a big breakfast on Christmas Day in our house so I'm going to do a big fry up on Christmas Eve morning instead mmmm - that should set us up for the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

Been having Eggs Benedict with Bucks Fizz for Christmas Day breakfast for over 40 years now....... it just starts the day off so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tree wrote: »

Hmm, never thought of it that way. Could probably cut off a lump and fry it to get the crispness, but that'd kind of defeat the purpose of using the slow cooker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

I'm loving the ideas here.

I'm on nights this year so I'll get home from work, have a cup of warm milk and sleep for three hours - I'll have eaten all night in work so will need a break.

Then when I get up I think we'll have that brioche with mushrooms and a poached egg, though because I'm pregnant it will have to be hard poached - no fun at all!

Usually in my house it's toasted brown bread with loads of butter and Superquinn sausages, in my husbands it's a traditional fry.

Wont be having dinner until around seven I'd say, might have a spot of soup midway between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I do love smoked salmon but has anyone noticed how the quality has gone very poor in recent years. I get that it's mostly farmed salmon now and colouring is often added but the taste and texture just isn't the same as it used to be. It is often too salty as well.
    Where do you get your smoked salmon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I am surprised at the number of people who have steak on Christmas morning. We always had a small bit of fillet steak on Christmas morning and I still look forward to it.

Was thinking of making Neven Maguires Irish mist porridge this year served with cream and honey.... Will have 10 people to feed and it would be tasty and look fab served in old fashioned teacups on saucers, will a fancy fruit platter, croissants, smoked salmon and brown bread as well. People can pick and choose. Really decent coffee and champagne and juices as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I do love smoked salmon but has anyone noticed how the quality has gone very poor in recent years. I get that it's mostly farmed salmon now and colouring is often added but the taste and texture just isn't the same as it used to be. It is often too salty as well.

I usually just pick one from the supermarket that looks the most decent, but if I'm ever in Cork I'd definitely get Frank Hederman's. Tastiest piece of salmon I've ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The supermarket stuff is slimes-ville and a weird colour.

Hederman's in the English Market. I prefer the hot-cured chilli smoked salmon he does, but the dill one is pretty awesome as well.
    http://www.frankhederman.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Burren smokehouse smoked salmon is very good at a fraction of the price of Hederman's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Blueberry Muffins with Lemon-Cream Cheese Glaze
    Quiche in a Bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

katemarch wrote: »
    There is always Buck's Fizz, dating back to thirty years ago when my husband got given a small bottle of champagne on a plane, and I had to go out to sing at Mass. The perfect festive starter.
    Squeeze some oranges or use a good brand, mix with chilly bubbly booze. Merry Christmas!

Have anyone ever tried it with prosecco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Have anyone ever tried it with prosecco?
    I haven't personally, but I'm sure lots of people have. I'd be utterly amazed if you could tell the difference between one made with Champagne and one made with Prosecco though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I haven't personally, but I'm sure lots of people have. I'd be utterly amazed if you could tell the difference between one made with Champagne and one made with Prosecco though.

Especially after the third one ;):pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Prosecco is lovely with cranberry juice and a dash of Cointreau - and festive too, it's called a Poinsettia :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Prosecco is lovely with cranberry juice and a dash of Cointreau - and festive too, it's called a Poinsettia :)

Oooh, that sounds nice! Might have to have a trial one right now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Ooh, definitely gonna try this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭jos28

Newonhere wrote: »
    Been having Eggs Benedict with Bucks Fizz for Christmas Day breakfast for over 40 years now....... it just starts the day off so well.

2 of my favourite things - enjoy !

Advertisement