Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Problem

Options
  • 06-12-2014 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I just made a custom PC on Thursday. It was working perfectly when I powered it up that evening. The next day I come back and turn it on and after a few seconds it just shuts down, not gradually but immediately. Sometimes it powered up for longer and I could get to the BIOS. In there I booted from a CD and reinstalled windows. I knew this wouldn't change the computer suddenly shutting down, but after that it worked fine for the rest of the evening. I come back to it again today and I have the same problem.
    Any help would be appreciated.

My build:
    Motherboard: ASUS M5A78LM/USB3
    PSU: Fractal Design Tesla R2 500W
    Ram: HyperX Fury 8GB
    GPU: ASUS R9 270X 2GB DCU II TOP
    CPU: AMD FX 6300

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I just made a custom PC on Thursday. It was working perfectly when I powered it up that evening. The next day I come back and turn it on and after a few seconds it just shuts down, not gradually but immediately. Sometimes it powered up for longer and I could get to the BIOS. In there I booted from a CD and reinstalled windows. I knew this wouldn't change the computer suddenly shutting down, but after that it worked fine for the rest of the evening. I come back to it again today and I have the same problem.
    Any help would be appreciated.

My build:
    Motherboard: ASUS M5A78LM/USB3
    PSU: Fractal Design Tesla R2 500W
    Ram: HyperX Fury 8GB
    GPU: ASUS R9 270X 2GB DCU II TOP
    CPU: AMD FX 6300

looks like a pretty serious graphics card
    500w power supply mightnt be big enough

edit: looks like the motherboard has integrated graphics, does it run okay without external video card installed

• Registered Users Posts: 25 C.B Photography

looks like a pretty serious graphics card
    500w power supply mightnt be big enough

I was thinking that alright, it says the reccomended PSU is 500W, and when I did have it running yesterday I was able to play games and it didn't shut off

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

500W is absolutely fine for pretty much any single GPU build.
    Are you able to check CPU temps? Could be an overheating issue.

I was thinking that alright, it says the reccomended PSU is 500W, and when I did have it running yesterday I was able to play games and it didn't shut off

id guess that would be a minimum recommended but then depending on other components, cpu hard drives you it might be pushing it to use a 500w supply
    if the motherboard has its own graphics i would try running it without graphics card to reduce power draw and see if problem goes away.

I took out the graphics card and reconnected everything but to no avail, the problem is still there, could it be a faulty PSU?

• Advertisement

I took out the graphics card and reconnected everything but to no avail, the problem is still there, could it be a faulty PSU?

possibly... although could be motherboard or something else

you could try disconnect as much as possible, see if any external component makes any difference, eg. does it work with one stick of ram instead of two or get to bios without hard drive connected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

CPU cooler mounted OK?

possibly... although could be motherboard or something else

you could try disconnect as much as possible, see if any external component makes any difference, eg. does it work with one stick of ram instead of two or get to bios without hard drive connected

I tried disconnecting the hard drive, boots to BIOS but shuts down the same. I tried a 650w psu from my brothers PC, which is working fine, and have the same problem. The cpu cooler is mounted fine, all fans are spinning. Im starting to think it is the motherboard. I'll email the seller and see will they take it back.

maki wrote: »
    500W is absolutely fine for pretty much any single GPU build.
    Are you able to check CPU temps? Could be an overheating issue.

The PC doesn't boot for long enough to check anything, anyway within the 20-30 seconds it does boot up, it shouldnt overheat too much

I breadboarded my build on the box that the motherboard came in and it work fine. Put it back in the case and the problem comes back. So it is clearly shorting off my case.
    I took out all the standoffs and replaced them with 5, all in line with the holes on my motherboard, don't see why its shorting

• Advertisement

Turns out it was a faulty exhaust fan shorting it out, that ks for all your help anyway :D

Advertisement