Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good economy or Good intentions

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

To paraphrase Clinton's successful campaign slogan, "it's the economy stupid".

People in general will vote for the group that will project their competence in managing the economy as well as allowing them a slice of the state's largess. While these might be arguably exclusive, the party that can seem to balance the expectation of handling both would be well positioned when the next election cycle starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

If this is so why are sinn fein so popular ? They dont have much in ways on how to manage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

If this is so why are sinn fein so popular ? They dont have much in ways on how to manage

They are popular in polls, which are a good chance to give the others a well deserved up yours. Unfortunately in elections you have to be realistic and may well have to vote a shower with limited morals and competence as the best of a bad lot. I'd love to see Enda Kenny turfed out on his lug, but if it gets me Gerry Adams I might just have to put up with Kenny.

I think if Kenny is shipped off to Europe and Leo gets the leadership they would have a good chance of another term

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Interesting poll this morning in the Irish times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/poll-fg-strong-on-economy-and-jobs-weak-on-social-issues-1.2027653

What is more important right now to the irish people ? For me its the economy if you don't have this you have a very weak government with little options to help those less well off. No matter how good your intentions if there's no money coming in through poor management theres very little a government can do.

All Irish political parties are toxic to the Irish economy. FG may be least toxic but it is certainly poisonous enough to fatally kill the Irish economy, - a fact most people are blissfully unaware of.

For example, the general consensus is that the Irish economy is out performing the German economy at the moment. During the celtic tiger, people thought the same thing for the same reasons. Growth was stronger in Ireland, credit was flowing, etc.

What an appalling vista! I have given up on this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

In the poll, a third of people are ranked as "don`t knows" in all three categories. The reason for this is open to interpretation but I would guess it is because those people do not believe any of the parties are up to the task. FG may rank strongest on managing the economy but in my view they are hopelessly incompetent.

All Irish political parties are toxic to the Irish economy. FG may be least toxic but it is certainly poisonous enough to fatally kill the Irish economy, - a fact most people are blissfully unaware of.

For example, the general consensus is that the Irish economy is out performing the German economy at the moment. During the celtic tiger, people thought the same thing for the same reasons. Growth was stronger in Ireland, credit was flowing, etc.

What an appalling vista! I have given up on this country.

I'll come to your leaving do...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I'll come to your leaving do...
    I don`t think so, I don`t do "Dos". Time for Ireland to sober up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Manach wrote: »
    To paraphrase Clinton's successful campaign slogan, "it's the economy stupid".

People in general will vote for the group that will project their competence in managing the economy as well as allowing them a slice of the state's largess. While these might be arguably exclusive, the party that can seem to balance the expectation of handling both would be well positioned when the next election cycle starts.
    I shudder when I think of Governments managing economies. The only effective way for economies to develop, grow and progress is when governments resist the urge to interfere. The free open market is the most effective manager of any economy.

How do previous polls running up to election years actually pan out on election day ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

How do previous polls running up to election years actually pan out on election day ?

There is a huge amount of variance from a year out.

Assuming an election in March 2016, the polls will really only take shape from September next onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

All Irish political parties are toxic to the Irish economy.

All Irish political parties are toxic to the Irish economy.

I've shortened that for you.

Godge wrote: »
    There is a huge amount of variance from a year out.

Assuming an election in March 2016, the polls will really only take shape from September next onwards.

If an élection were next month show accurate going on past history are todays polls ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

If an élection were next month show accurate going on past history are todays polls ?

A very difficult question.

For some reason, none of the recent polls have given a figure for don't knows. Over the years, this figure has been an indicator of volatility.

If there was more detailed data available it would be possible to hazard a guess, but even for the likes of Adrian Kavanagh, it would only be an educated guess.

Advertisement