Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Insuring a property protects against adverse possession (squatters rights)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

He got what he deserved anyway.

I can't understand how the words "squatters" and "rights" go together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

garhjw wrote: »
    He got what he deserved anyway.

Land and rights are a very touchy subject in historic & legal terms.

This isn't exactly a new concept our laws are based on the English land laws, which of course have ties to Roman laws. Our land law history (and the entire British colonies history) is full of instances of 'redistribution' by royal decree and a doctrine like adverse possession was at least some shining light if you could try get your land back legally.

You also have the 'finders keepers' and 'possession is 9/10ths of the law' phrases that are thrown about and they do have some historical basis in society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Land and rights are a very touchy subject in historic & legal terms.

This isn't exactly a new concept our laws are based on the English land laws, which of course have ties to Roman laws. Our land law history (and the entire British colonies history) is full of instances of 'redistribution' by royal decree and a doctrine like adverse possession was at least some shining light if you could try get your land back legally.

You also have the 'finders keepers' and 'possession is 9/10ths of the law' phrases that are thrown about and they do have some historical basis in society.

I do understand the historical significance behind adverse possession and all that comes with it but in a modern society if you want land/property etc you should pay for it. (Or it is left to you in a will).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I do understand the historical significance behind adverse possession and all that comes with it but in a modern society if you want land/property etc you should pay for it. (Or it is left to you in a will).

Existing laws don't change because the current society deem them outdated, they change because of legal and constitutional challenges. This case is an example of that, the judge has considered the existence of valid insurance to be another element to be considered under the rules of adverse possession and the existing case law on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Otherwise, one potentially then ends up with the situation of land lying idle.

Of course, the squatters / users should be required to pay rates, LPT, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

Advertisement