Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS build

Options
  • 06-12-2014 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Looking to pick up or build a NAS over the next few weeks and am looking for a build. I want it for streaming 1080p content to devices around the house but mainly my rpi hooked up to the tv in the sitting room running raspbmc. I was looking at the synology ds215j but I have read a lot of concerns over it's ability to deal with streaming hd content to multiple devices at once. So just for the sake of looking at all of my options, here is my info.

1. What is your budget? [€500/€600 max inc shipping]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? NAS

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No, using freeNAS

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? no.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? no.

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] all above.

9. When are you purchasing? Within a week

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? South Dublin City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You've missed capacity. Initial + planned expansion. With FreeNAS youll also want a rake of ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

You really can't beat synology for NAS's, I'll never go back to a self build since getting mine.

The DS214play is ideal for streaming and you've plenty of budget left for some disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rayfitzharris

Hp microserver running openmediavault..

Some good deals around and they used to do a fairly decent cash back.

Search for hp microserver on here, there are some good threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

ED E wrote:
    You've missed capacity. Initial + planned expansion. With FreeNAS youll also want a rake of ram.

Well with the synology I'm lookibg at either 2x2TB WD Reds or 2x3. Max expansion would be low teens, if even. Not looking for anything massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

vibe666 wrote:
    The DS214play is ideal for streaming and you've plenty of budget left for some disks.

I might look into that. Have you looked at the 215j? what's the big difference between the 214play and the 215j?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I might look into that. Have you looked at the 215j? what's the big difference between the 214play and the 215j?

afaik, it has extra hardware for transcoding multiple video streams at the same time, making it much more useful as a media storage device.

Advertisement