Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to shock collars

• 06-12-2014 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

So, I've just got off the phone with my mam, who told me that my dad was looking at shock collars in town today and how it might make a good Christmas present!

To give a bit of context, it's for an eight month old Springer who he's having trouble recalling when he's out hunting with him. We've had Springers before, so we know what they're like, but this one is a particular lunatic. :D

Anyway, I explained to my mam how shock collars are a terrible idea, and how they'll only confuse the dog and possibly make it run away instead of back to my dad. She said she'll pass it on, and that my dad puts stock in my thoughts on these things.

I know he'll be looking for an alternative since I shot this idea down. Any tips? It's next to impossible to catch Buster's attention when he's exploring.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

The thing is, a shock collar wouldn't work as a recall when the dog is out hunting, it's designed to be connected to a boundary line so the dog then gets the electric shock when it goes over the boundary.

I'm sure others here could give some other training tips for recall when the dog is out and about with your dad

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What about a session or two with a real properly certified trainer? Not going to give a guaranteed answer but will build the basis and will help him with all future dogs (i.e. how to train, what queues to look at etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    The thing is, a shock collar wouldn't work as a recall when the dog is out hunting, it's designed to be connected to a boundary line so the dog then gets the electric shock when it goes over the boundary.

I'm sure others here could give some other training tips for recall when the dog is out and about with your dad

I mentioned that to my mam on the phone too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Tranceypoo wrote: »

There are other types, with a remote 'control', basically work on the premise of shocking the dog to get its attention, doesn't teach recall, that work still has to be done, dog gets a shock, stops what its doing, then hears the recall. A whistle should work just as well.

OP, as I say, even with a shock collar, recall training has to be done, there's no way round that, so maybe get a really good whistle, a long line, pocket full of treats, and train, train, train.

Advertisement