Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what age did you stop sterilising

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

This is not correct. Boiling water (i.e. bringing it to 100°C) will kill most important pathogens in the water itself. Some common pathogens can be killed by raising the temperature to "above 70°" - e.g. Cryptosporidium needs 73°C.

I think you are missing what Sligo1 is saying.

Boiling the water is required to kill the water-borne bacteria, like cryptosporidium, listeria, legionella etc.

70 degree is required to kill the bacteria potentially in the formula powder. Here is a list of the potential ones. cronobacter is the common one.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/441218

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm285401.htm

There's a link on there as wwell to the FDA formula preparation guidelines, which ALSO specifically note 70 degrees to eliminate cronobacter.

"studies suggest that mixing powdered formula with water at a temperature of at least 70 degree C—158 degrees F—creates a high probability that the formula will not contain Cronobacter sakazakii."

Both need to be done, it's not an either or situation. Both boil the water, and add hot water to formula powder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

pwurple wrote: »
    I think you are missing what Sligo1 is saying.

Boiling the water is required to kill the water-borne bacteria, like cryptosporidium, listeria, legionella etc.

70 degree is required to kill the bacteria potentially in the formula powder. Here is a list of the potential ones. cronobacter is the common one.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/441218

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm285401.htm

There's a link on there as wwell to the FDA formula preparation guidelines, which ALSO specifically note 70 degrees to eliminate cronobacter.

Both need to be done, it's not an either or situation. Both boil the water, and add hot water to formula powder.

Precisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

I must be stone mad, my little fella is nearly 21 months and out of pure habit we sterilize his bottles every night. He's been on cows milk since he was 13 months old.

Maybe it's time to put the sterilizer away :):):)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

We sterilised both our kids bottles until they were one. The rationale being that sterilising is so simple, why wouldn't we? I know I would have blamed myself if either of the lads ever got seriously ill so I kept up sterilising. Luckily they're both healthy kids, probably has nothing to do with sterilising the bottles but there you go.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Forgive me if I choose to believe the writings and research of the FSAI, WHO and the HSE instead of the claim and opinions of some poster on boards who I don't know from adam who can't in the very least even back up their claims ...

You're forgiven. The FSAI believe me and have now updated their information to bring it into line with the WHO guidelines. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Still doing it for 14 month old, just habit now and part of night time routine I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Still doing it for 14 month old, just habit now and part of night time routine I think

I don't think we realised how much we hated it until we stopped. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Stopped at a year. By this stage he was routinely licking the buggy wheels and my shoes and the floor and pretty much any other disgusting surface you can think of anyway so it was a waste sterilising!

Advertisement