Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco, every little hurts?

Options
  • 06-12-2014 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

Today I felt a bit like Michael Douglas in the film "Falling Down", I was pushed over the edge. Well pushed enough to start this thread anyway, not exactly the same reaction as Douglas's character in the film.

So what pushed me over the edge? Today I was in a rush and ran in to pick up a few bits for lunch. One of the items I bought was a "Tesco Finest Scurdough" bread. When I got home I went to slice it and it was hard as a rock, it nearly broke my teeth. It was best before the 5th, today is the 6th and I am not gonna go all the way back to return it.

This might seem like a small issue but there are so many other things wrong with it. I know that they have limited space but there really is no excuse for selling food past its best.Does anyone else have the same opinion as me, that Tescos in Sligo is a terrible supermarket?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Yes...it's a dump!
    Today I felt a bit like Michael Douglas in the film "Falling Down", I was pushed over the edge. Well pushed enough to start this thread anyway, not exactly the same reaction as Douglas's character in the film.

So what pushed me over the edge? Today I was in a rush and ran in to pick up a few bits for lunch. One of the items I bought was a "Tesco Finest Scurdough" bread. When I got home I went to slice it and it was hard as a rock, it nearly broke my teeth. It was best before the 5th, today is the 6th and I am not gonna go all the way back to return it.

This might seem like a small issue but there are so many other things wrong with it. I know that they have limited space but there really is no excuse for selling food past its best.Does anyone else have the same opinion as me, that Tescos in Sligo is a terrible supermarket?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So you knowingly bought food that was after its best and are now complaining that....it wasn't at its best?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

GreeBo wrote: »
    So you knowingly bought food that was after its best and are now complaining that....it wasn't at its best?

No, I picked it off it's normal shelf, with all the rest of the fresh bread, so I assumed it was within date. My point is more about the lack of professionalism and poor standards in Tescos Sligo rather than stale bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I thought everyone who buys fresh food checks for a use by or a best before.

As for Sligo Tescos its self, it is the most horribly laid out supermarket I have entered, always try and get in and out as quickly as possible.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I thought everyone who buys fresh food checks for a use by or a best before.

As for Sligo Tescos its self, it is the most horribly laid out supermarket I have entered, always try and get in and out as quickly as possible.

That's what I was trying to do, get out in a hurry, I neglected to check the date on this occasion. It not really about bread, it is about how there are rarely baskets, that stock seems to have prices slips belonging to different products, long queues for the self service checkouts through the spirits section, not enough space to move around, etc.

• Advertisement

That's what I was trying to do, get out in a hurry, I neglected to check the date on this occasion. It not really about bread, it is about how there are rarely baskets, that stock seems to have prices slips belonging to different products, long queues for the self service checkouts through the spirits section, not enough space to move around, etc.

Three three things that really get me are...

Half the time no baskets where you go in, meaning going through half the store to get to the checkouts, and making your way back again to the fruit and veg section.

The layout, mainly the narrow isles, the way the staff operated tills are staggered, and having to pass through the self service till area to join the queue, and constantly looking toosee someone does not jump from the other side.

And nearly always having to seek assistance at the self service tills, even if you have not bought restricted items.

I have occasionally found out of date food, but just discreetly reported it to a member of staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

To be honest, they should make Tesco have baskets at the entrance instead of chocolates blocking the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

The whole site needs to be redeveloped. Last I heard none of thr anchor tenants (dunnes pennys tescos) were in agreement how to do it...its such a blight on sligo

The whole site needs to be redeveloped. Last I heard none of thr anchor tenants (dunnes pennys tescos) were in agreement how to do it...its such a blight on sligo

I always felt Wine St. car park would be much nicer as a large green area, like Ayre Sq., surrounded by local shops, restaurants, pubs, etc. then develop ballast quay into smallish shopping centre housing Tescos, Penny's, and 15 or so more main stream shops and with adequate parking for the town. The amount of times I have almost been run over in Wine St car park is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

That lad that does the tuneless whistling and works in the Veg Section does my head in. As the breads are in that area too I'll now consider that whole section to be hexed.

• Advertisement

I always felt Wine St. car park would be much nicer as a large green area, like Ayre Sq., surrounded by local shops, restaurants, pubs, etc. then develop ballast quay into smallish shopping centre housing Tescos, Penny's, and 15 or so more main stream shops and with adequate parking for the town. The amount of times I have almost been run over in Wine St car park is unreal.

They have been talks of plans for the Car Park for as long as i remember, including redeveloping tescos, dunnes, and pennys. Last i heard it was cancelled indefinitely.

Not sure about moving tescos out to ballast quay though, think it would kill the town altogether. At least if your parked in the quayside or wine street, and you do your shopping in tescos, your more inclined to visit other shops. I can understand why the town association, or what ever they are called would object to out of town supermarkets for that reason.

As for almost getting run over in the carpark, can never say i have experienced it, although i rarely park in it, i would walk arcross it once or twice a week.

Plazaman wrote: »
    That lad that does the tuneless whistling and works in the Veg Section does my head in. As the breads are in that area too I'll now consider that whole section to be hexed.

The noise he makes sounds the same as the sound used for a bomb falling through the sky in a cartoon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

return it,and don't buy bread on sunday

Not sure about moving tescos out to ballast quay though, think it would kill the town altogether. At least if your parked in the quayside or wine street, and you do your shopping in tescos, your more inclined to visit other shops. I can understand why the town association, or what ever they are called would object to out of town supermarkets for that reason.

As far as I remember sainsburys wanted to open in that general area about 8 years ago or so.

As far as I remember sainsburys wanted to open in that general area about 8 years ago or so.

Sainsburys? I thought they might have trailed or opened in Dublin before opening in the rest of the ROI. Do they have even many in NI other than in or around Belfast and Derry?

Sainsburys? I thought they might have trailed or opened in Dublin before opening in the rest of the ROI. Do they have even many in NI other than in or around Belfast and Derry?

Asda I meant to say, damn autocorrect

Asda I meant to say, damn autocorrect

That makes slightly more sense. I did hear talks of them enterering the ROI market after the deal with Walmart.

And just how does Asda autocorrect in to Sainsburys?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

They have been talks of plans for the Car Park for as long as i remember, including redeveloping tescos, dunnes, and pennys. Last i heard it was cancelled indefinitely.

As for almost getting run over in the carpark, can never say i have experienced it, although i rarely park in it, i would walk arcross it once or twice a week.

I was chatting to one of the managers in Penneys before Christmas and he says they're scheduled to have a refit this year.

In relation to the carpark, I remember a child going missing in Next 2 years ago. He was found by a guard after about half an hour, walking through Johnson's Court!

Dunnes seem to have knocked the whole 'joint redevelopment" thing on the head, what with closing off the through-way and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

That penny's refit is been talked about now for a few years.but Tesco sligo has to be well up the list for worst Tesco store in Ireland and tesco have made no effort with this store staff a always stocking shelves clutter is unreal,I only go in after 7 in the evening when parking is handy got and I would never buy more than a few items as I find tesco very expensive too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Great staff though, really pleasant and helpful.

• Advertisement

Henlars67 wrote: »
    Great staff though, really pleasant and helpful.

Is that a joke?

There are a few good and helpful but for the main part the rest are poor

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

sligono1 wrote: »
    tesco have made no effort with this store staff a always stocking shelves clutter is unreal,I only go in after 7 in the evening when parking is handy got

I was in Sligo over the Christmas shopping period and I could not get parked easily, and when I did, it was expensive. The Borough council shoud provide more car parking spaces between the inner relief road and tesco. Even the newish car park in the street (dunno the name of it, its between Dunnes and the Cathedral) was full whenever I saw it. There are plenty of empty houses / backyards waiting to be knocked, which nobody will ever live in again. Make parking cheaper and more plentiful and it will encourage shoppers to come in to town again, do their shopping, have a coffee etc.

They do not want to make any effort to drop parking prices they just suck every cent out of you is there any day in sligo that parking is free

Advertisement